Conversation Arts and Entertainment
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Eel Pie Island

Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire
20-Nov-2020 16:18 Message #4798467
Some on here must have gone there in their youth? I first heard of it some years ago when I used to talk to a lovely lady on here, I believe she lived not far from it, I've never been but it'd be interesting to hear of people's reminiscences of the place and which bands they saw there.

For those who haven't a clue what I'm talking about, it was a famous place for bands in the 60's (Rolling Stones being one, who I saw at Bristol many years ago) - maybe earlier I don't know?
Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex
20-Nov-2020 16:52 Message #4798471
Trevor Baylis, who invented the wind-up radio for poor countries, used to live there.

I have a newspaper article about 20 years ago, unjustifiably comparing me to him, because I went to an inventors' exhibition trying to interest people to invest in trivial inventions patented by my father and myself. After years of visiting exhibitions and companies, we never got any investors, and eventually (after spending much money on patents & prototypes & travel etc.), I decided to let it all lapse.
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset
20-Nov-2020 17:33 Message #4798473
Trevor was a friend of mine.

One time, the (first) year I won international Inventor of the year, (held at The Barbican complex, London), he was supposed to stand in for me at a BBC TV news interview, scheduled for 5 minutes, to explain how my patented technology worked but his (huge) ego got the better of him and he was, instead, more interested in promoting some puzzle thing he had come up with.

Nevertheless, he did as was expected of him and my own exhibition and winner's stand was inundated the following day when the show opened proper to the general public ... by which time I'd taken first prize, the gold award and a 5 figure cash sum as part of the winner's spoils. :-)

Poor fella never made a bean as far as his "wind up radio" was concerned and yes, he did used to live at Eel Pie Island.

@ Jeff. Filing patents is an expensive affair, especially when other countries are involved.

I was filed / granted patents in the UK, Europe and America and I promise you it is a sobering situation when your own Patent Agent, (at £200 per hour at 1990's financial rates), is chatting to a United States patent Agent also acting for you (at £250 per hour at 1990's financial rates)... a situation sometimes meaning it cost me several thousand pounds just for the two agents to finalise some technical text to make sure the American patent expressed, (perhaps in different words), what the UK patent was claiming.

Aside from all the R & D prior to eventually tooling up for production, (years later), I think I spent over a hundred grand on patent fees in just the first few years --- and they only ever increased year by year after that. Can't remember now but it hurt.
Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex
20-Nov-2020 17:39 Message #4798474
Wow! My father and I spent over £10,000 on trying, and we never applied for foreign patents.

I'm surprised that Trevor didn't make much money from his wind-up radio. He got huge amounts of publicity from it. It must have wound him up!
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
20-Nov-2020 18:39 Message #4798487
I've never heard of it until now, where is it or was it?
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
20-Nov-2020 18:46 Message #4798489
The first thing I thought of was Pie and Mash....the East End and all that.....although I've never had eel pie...I don't really fancy the idea....I prefer steak and kidney.....
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey
20-Nov-2020 18:50 Message #4798490
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EelPieIsland
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
20-Nov-2020 20:40 Message #4798497
I have a wind up radio and before writing this I took it out of the draw for the first time in years ... wound it up ... and it worked like new :)
Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex
20-Nov-2020 21:23 Message #4798503
Eel Pie Island is near Twickenham, but I never went there. Trevor replied to my letter, but we never met.

I keep an extremely detailed diary. Your mentioning a Barbican inventors exhibition reminded me of this incident at one there.

My diary for 23 November 2001 includes:-
"7:55am: Left ... [my home] with car of items (e.g. folding table, chair. ... prototypes. posters, leaflets, overnight items) for Barbican British inventions show.
10:30am: Arrived at Barbican.
7pm: Exhibition closed. Went with most exhibitors (~120 people) to a buffet and drinks reception in the Garden room which had numerous large plans and a pond of large fish. The Sovereign string quartet was playing.
I asked the girl cellist if they could play the Fawlty Towers tune. which they did at 7:50pm.
While they were playing a man resembling John Cleese / Basil Fawlty came and stood near them.
I assured them that I hadn't known he was present!
He was the only person who clapped them (to draw attention to himself) in the whole evening. although I repeatedly complimented them.
8:20pm: l had a long interesting chat with Edmond Wells (www.johncleese.co.uk) about his two jobs of impersonating Basil Fawlty and inventing a trolley to put under a surfboard to convert it to a land (or snow) yacht."

My diary for 24 November 2001 includes:-
"10:35am: Went to stand where Edmond Wells (alias Basil Fawlty / John Cleese) had his trolley which converted a surfboard to a land-yacht.
It was at Bryan Wybrow’s stand.
At a show in 1999 I felt that Dr.Wybrow was unfriendly to me, and he now refused to take a photo of Edmond and me but got his assistant to take it
Edmond posed as Basil Fawlty about to hit me posing as Manuel the waiter."

I still have that photo.
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire
20-Nov-2020 23:16 Message #4798527
It's in the middle of the Thames isn't it?
Male
21-Nov-2020 09:12 Message #4798530
It's down Twickenham and quite a sizeable island. Has a lot of history but looks as if it's mostly the boating fraternity these days.
Female
Andromeda  Female  Berkshire
21-Nov-2020 12:41 Message #4798548
I've strolled along the embankment on a sunny afternoon and those on the island look as if they have a few bob!
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey
21-Nov-2020 15:05 Message #4798561
Mooring fees on the Thames mean you need quite a few bob
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire
21-Nov-2020 20:27 Message #4798577
I used to go to Eel Pie island regularly when I was a teenager. On the Thames near Twickenham. It was the place to go. I dont think there was a bridge across at that time, as we used to go across on a little boat to the jazz club there, No seats inside, just the music, drink, drugs and smoke. If you went outside you got stamped on your wrist with the (eggs) Lion sign which took 3 days to wash.wear off. It was a dive , but we enjoyed it. It was at the start of the Rock & Roll era with some good artists there, and it ws a time for freedom.

Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire
22-Nov-2020 03:48 Message #4798593
I had to read that sentence twice about being stamped on your wrist.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire
24-Nov-2020 14:00 Message #4798832
lol @ Minnie..... it was a rubber stamp.

The jazz place was in a big old hotel ( from memory & asking an old friend who also went there) She said it burnt down in the early 70's though. There were a few properties on the island but now very expensive.
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
24-Nov-2020 14:18 Message #4798837
I'm not sure how many islands there are, but although I haven't been to the Eel Pie one, I went to another one in the 80's when my brother first got married.......The reception was there....Quite a fancy place.....Monkey Island...
Male
24-Nov-2020 23:12 Message #4798878
If that's Monkey Island at Bray it is a bit posh.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
25-Nov-2020 22:07 Message #4798949
Has anyone tasted eel pie?
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon
26-Nov-2020 07:20 Message #4798979
I think of Londoners eating a lot of things out of the sea.
Female
Andromeda  Female  Berkshire
1-Dec-2020 09:24 Message #4799371
Some threads like this are very informative and interesting to read.

Help with conversations