Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

It's International Men's Day

19th November

Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia
19-Nov-2020 11:13 Message #4798324
Who forgot?
Thanks for all the cards from those who did remember..... lol
Female
BunnyGirl  Female  Buckinghamshire
19-Nov-2020 11:27 Message #4798326
Never heard of it. What does it mean haha
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire
19-Nov-2020 11:33 Message #4798327
it means that us men can have our way with any woman we see in public places....so will you be going out or staying in today BG.... ;¬)
Female
19-Nov-2020 11:49 Message #4798330
I hope you are joking. If some guy comes up to me later they will get kicked somewhere.
But then men try to do that anyway regardless haha
Female
19-Nov-2020 11:53 Message #4798331
Just looked up Men’s International Day haha nothing like what you said fossy
Male
19-Nov-2020 12:03 Message #4798333
yeh, i know now...i just got arrested...;¬(
Female
19-Nov-2020 14:49 Message #4798343
Haha you should have behaved then
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside
19-Nov-2020 16:06 Message #4798349
Fosy, Can we do that on womens day lol I may have to look up its date like
Male
19-Nov-2020 17:12 Message #4798363
of course you can euro...and i believe females are immune from prosecution !!

your date is mon. 8/3/21.

now where do we form the queue euro... and can i be first cos i dont like s/seconds ? ;¬))
Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex
19-Nov-2020 18:52 Message #4798375
Does "International Men's Day" mean that it's only for international men?

Is it intended as a day for men who travel abroad, or men who have several nationalities, or men who are internationally minded?

Is the day non-existent for xenophobes? Does the calendar skip a day for men who aren't "international"? If so, and previous years for such men have skipped a day, then what is the date for them today?

Thinking of internationally minded men reminds me of a short story by O.Henry (W.S.Porter, 1862-1910) that I read about forty years ago and I still remember some of its superbly written phrases. So I've just looked it up, and here are some excerpts which I hope you enjoy from A Cosmopolite In A Cafe:-

At midnight the café was crowded. By some chance the little table at which I sat had escaped the eye of incomers, and two vacant chairs at it extended their arms with venal hospitality to the influx of patrons.
And then a cosmopolite sat in one of them, and I was glad, for I held a theory that since Adam no true citizen of the world has existed. We hear of them, and we see foreign labels on much luggage, but we find travellers instead of cosmopolites. ...
My cosmopolite was named E. Rushmore Coglan, ...
And then his conversation rang along parallels of latitude and longitude. He took the great, round world in his hand, so to speak, familiarly, contemptuously, and it seemed no larger than the seed of a Maraschino cherry in a table d'hôte grape fruit. He spoke disrespectfully of the equator, he skipped from continent to continent, he derided the zones, he mopped up the high seas with his napkin. With a wave of his hand he would speak of a certain bazaar in Hyderabad. Whiff! He would have you on skis in Lapland. Zip! Now you rode the breakers with the Kanakas at Kealaikahiki. Presto! He dragged you through an Arkansas post–oak swamp, let you dry for a moment on the alkali plains of his Idaho ranch, then whirled you into the society of Viennese archdukes. Anon he would be telling you of a cold he acquired in a Chicago lake breeze and how old Escamila cured it in Buenos Ayres with a hot infusion of the chuchula weed. You would have addressed a letter to "E. Rushmore Coglan, Esq., the Earth, Solar System, the Universe," and have mailed it, feeling confident that it would be delivered to him.
"Would you mind telling me," I began, "whether you are from—"
The fist of E. Rushmore Coglan banged the table and I was jarred into silence.
"Excuse me," said he, "but that's a question I never like to hear asked. What does it matter where a man is from? Is it fair to judge a man by his post–office address? Why, I've seen Kentuckians who hated whiskey, Virginians who weren't descended from Pocahontas, Indianians who hadn't written a novel, Mexicans who didn't wear velvet trousers with silver dollars sewed along the seams, funny Englishmen, spendthrift Yankees, cold–blooded Southerners, narrow–minded Westerners, and New Yorkers who were too busy to stop for an hour on the street to watch a one–armed grocer's clerk do up cranberries in paper bags. Let a man be a man and don't handicap him with the label of any section."
"I've been around the world twelve times," said he. "I know an Esquimau in Upernavik who sends to Cincinnati for his neckties, and I saw a goat–herder in Uruguay who won a prize in a Battle Creek breakfast food puzzle competition. I pay rent on a room in Cairo, Egypt, and another in Yokohama all the year around. I've got slippers waiting for me in a tea–house in Shanghai, and I don't have to tell 'em how to cook my eggs in Rio de Janeiro or Seattle. It's a mighty little old world. What's the use of bragging about being from the North, or the South, or the old manor house in the dale, or Euclid avenue, Cleveland, or Pike's Peak, or Fairfax County, Va., or Hooligan's Flats or any place? It'll be a better world when we quit being fools about some mildewed town or ten acres of swampland just because we happened
Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex
19-Nov-2020 18:53 Message #4798376
It'll be a better world when we quit being fools about some mildewed town or ten acres of swampland just because we happened to be born there.
"We are all brothers — Chinamen, Englishmen, Zulus, Patagonians and the people in the bend of the Kaw River. Some day all this petty pride in one's city or State or section or country will be wiped out, and we'll all be citizens of the world, as we ought to be."
My cosmopolite made a large adieu and left me, for he thought he saw some one through the chatter and smoke whom he knew.
My meditations were interrupted by a tremendous noise and conflict in another part of the café. I saw above the heads of the seated patrons E. Rushmore Coglan and a stranger to me engaged in terrific battle. They fought between the tables like Titans, and glasses crashed, and men caught their hats up and were knocked down, and a brunette screamed, and a blonde began to sing "Teasing." ...
I called McCarthy, one of the French garçons, and asked him the cause of the conflict.
"The man with the red tie" (that was my cosmopolite), said he, "got hot on account of things said about the bum sidewalks and water supply of the place he come from by the other guy."
"Why," said I, bewildered, "that man is a citizen of the world — a cosmopolite. He —"
"Originally from Mattawamkeag, Maine, he said," continued McCarthy, "and he wouldn't stand for no knockin' the place."
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside
19-Nov-2020 19:30 Message #4798380
Is there a day for just fun and laughs please?

Please lol
Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region
20-Nov-2020 07:38 Message #4798415
Yes I remembered, it's the day after my Dads birthday. However I know someone who did forget, and he forgot last year too....

Scotlands chief fire officer.... or chief of fire service... Every year on International Womans Day he champions women all day, how great women are, how brilliant they are and all the usual pandering. But International Mens Day? Not a peep from the man! this year or last.... I find that quite disgraceful!

I really do think we men need to have a strike, all of us! Down tools and just not show up for the day.... All the policemen, firemen, HGV drivers, road workers, builders, doctors, tradesmen.... everyone. One day! We do nothing!

I wonder how important we would be seen then?

Happy (belated)International Mens days to all the men here, all you GrandFathers, Fathers, Sons, Brothers, Uncles, Nephews, Husbands, Boyfriends and Bachelors and anyone I missed out

Help with conversations