Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Are yours any good?

Tradesmen

Male
CircusMaximus  Male  North Yorkshire
19-Nov-2020 11:00 Message #4798322
Do you use local tradesmen or do you go online to find a suitable person or company? Do you stick with the good ones?
How are your postman and dustmen?
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset
19-Nov-2020 11:11 Message #4798323
I have to stagger jobs performed by my housekeeper, gardener, arborist, maintenance man, window cleaner and flower arranger because they talked too much on my time! The refuse collectors, posties and contracted parcel deliverers are brilliant.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire
19-Nov-2020 14:37 Message #4798341
I seem to have bad luck with electricians who appear to listen to why wanted a job doing, i.e. insert a cable around 10 inches down a cavity to a vent, from the loft where there is power already, to replace the vent with an electric expelling fan.

What do they do?

1st one. Installed thick conduit down my landing wall, over the wallpaper, without asking me, and not putting the wring inside the cavity, but on top of the bathroom tiles.

2nd one. Took out the wiring of the first, then smashed my tiles trying to insert the wiring from the surface.

Thankfully, I've got a great plumber who discusses things first.

Decorator, OK, but I could have done a better job had I been able to reach the highest point on the landing over the stairs but I am having to touch up bits he missed glossing the bannisters and trim bits of the wallpapered single wall.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire
19-Nov-2020 14:46 Message #4798342
I'm pretty crap at workmanship, but then I'm not claiming to be a tradesperson. I did work with a lad who was really good, could work to the millimetre and finished jobs so you couldn't tell anything had been done....but that was around fifty years ago, I don't rate tradespeople now just simply accept they won't do a good job.
Female
Greencare  Female  Berkshire
19-Nov-2020 16:36 Message #4798356
I don't often require a tradesman but when I find a good one I stick with them. My postman is lovely and friendly and does a good job. Dustman not great but they don't seem to care much these days.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
19-Nov-2020 18:54 Message #4798377
Rubbish collectors seem good, our posties are lovely, window cleaner brilliant, window installation company also really good, plumber and decorator also really really good. Don't know about any electricians though.
Male
Colonel_Blink  Male  Buckinghamshire
19-Nov-2020 23:13 Message #4798400
It's difficult finding a decent tradesman.
Female
BlinkinLights  Female  South Yorkshire
20-Nov-2020 00:36 Message #4798409
Where did you find them all W-Hen??

I have used MyBuilder to get tradesmen over the last four years or so, and have been lucky with most of them, doing a not so bad job.

I am in the process right now of finding a plumber and have had two very different quotes for the same job - £160 and £50 !!
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire
20-Nov-2020 09:27 Message #4798420
We are dealing with a lot of tradesmen at the moment cos of our house refurbishment. Its a mammoth task and they are all excellent.... brickies,carpenters,groundsmen.electrician.plumbers roofers.flooring chaps etc. Himself is there everyday & tells me he is just pr/managing, but when I go there(unannounced), he is always up on scaffolding or a ladder and comes home each evening, covered in all sorts..... grrr

The chaps working there are a really nice lot. Some we knew before, some were recommended, and some we found in our village magazine. Mind you, no-one works now for less than £250 a day round here. Some people dont earn that in a week though.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
20-Nov-2020 10:59 Message #4798441
Rubbish collectors and posties just turn up, some were recommended by neighbours and our decorator we got her number from the local trade directory. I've aslo got and excellent mechanic.
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
20-Nov-2020 21:54 Message #4798508
I have used the same mechanic, plumber and electrician for many years as they do a good job and always fit the work in quickly. My gardener was a very useful guy who could also do almost any odd job ... some people can turn their hand to anything.
Milkman delivers around 5.30am so I never have to worry about a shortage of milk for my cornflakes. Dustmen takes the extra bag and pile of cardboard if I leave it out. Postwoman is a bundle of joy and we often have some banter.
Overall very happy with them all.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
21-Nov-2020 10:55 Message #4798541
I am in the process right now of finding a plumber and have had two very different quotes for the same job - £160 and £50 !!

I hate it when I get quotes which are very different as it doesn't give any ideas as to how much is reasonable.
Female
LadyVera  Female  Cumbria
21-Nov-2020 12:36 Message #4798545
The answer is to hang onto a good tradesman when you find one. I've been let down so many times with appointments and quality of work.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire
21-Nov-2020 23:12 Message #4798585
Our dustmen are useless. Most other services are ok.

Female
22-Nov-2020 00:18 Message #4798588
Hot wot: How do you know what the right price is ??
Well, what I do is get several quotes: if thay are all around the same price, then you know that is about right.

I once put up for a painter (outside of house) and they all came back with: £400,£380, £410, £390, and then one idiot quoted me £1350 !! So the right sum was about £400 give or take - I think I paid £390 but it was a long time ago I ALWAYS get lots if quotes, something that most people do not.
Female
twinkle2  Female  Hertfordshire
22-Nov-2020 09:57 Message #4798613
I try and get personal recommendations which is how I got my mechanic. Recently I have been using the local community on FB for a gardener and a waste removal man. I have a gutter man who comes every year who already had a round here. My original boiler man was a friend of my son's but now he's moved away I was recommended one via someone at work and my friend has told me of someone local but they don't come out in the evenings and only do weekends in emergencies. I've had three painters by recommendation and it was only the last one who caused problems. My son put me in touch with a builder/contractor so they supplied the electrician and rebuilt a wall for me and put in a new fence.

It is hard to find good people but as been said once you have them hang on to them.
Female
Andromeda  Female  Berkshire
22-Nov-2020 22:35 Message #4798699
I had a plumber doing a few jobs on Saturday. He turned up on time and did a good job. Price was good too.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire
24-Nov-2020 13:50 Message #4798830
When I was on my own, a local plumber quoted me for fitting and tiling a shower room with just a shower, toilet and corner basin. This chap quoted £8,000 for labour ONLY. I was supplying everything - fittings, tiles ,grouting etc. and the skip. So I got a male friend to come round ,& act as if he was the house owner, and get a quote from another local plumber. . It was £1,800. This one got the job, and it was excellent.
Just goes to show how some tradesman think they can take advantage, when its for a women on her own.
Female
24-Nov-2020 23:23 Message #4798880
Yes V, I've had such silly quotes in the past and it really annoys me that they think I am so stupid - as if I would pay their outrageous prices !
Male
Neros1954  Male  Devon
29-Nov-2020 22:55 Message #4799275
I had a new front door fitted and was very pleased until 18 months later when the door began to peel and become flaky in places. I rang the fitter and he took one look and said he would replace the door. It took about three months which he said was due to Covid procedures but it's done now and it's looking good.
Female
Andromeda  Female  Berkshire
30-Nov-2020 10:00 Message #4799297
A tradesman who you can contact when things go wrong is important.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire
1-Dec-2020 08:01 Message #4799363
Yes Andromeda that can be the true test of how good your tradesman really is.

Help with conversations