Conversation Arts and Entertainment
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Radio comedy

Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire
18-Nov-2020 23:37 Message #4798290
Talking to my bro in law tonight, he's bought the full series of 'Cabin Pressure' on cd or tape or whatever, I found that very funny in a cerebral laugh sort of way, and I told him about 'Old Harry's Game' which I found funny in a smiling laugh sort of way (I rarely actually laugh out loud).

Do you listen to radio comedy? and if so, which do you find funny?
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
19-Nov-2020 08:22 Message #4798295
The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy was funny. Since television became popular radio shows have been very underrated.
Male
Pboro Trevor  Male  Cambridgeshire
19-Nov-2020 09:19 Message #4798305
The Goons

Trevor
Male
Orson  Male  Tayside
19-Nov-2020 16:33 Message #4798354
Round The Horn.
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
19-Nov-2020 17:22 Message #4798365
There's been a lot of radio comedy through the years that is up there with the best of any comedy.....

Currently I find a lot of stuff online......youtube etc.....

There's a good podcast website called 'fourble'......There's loads on there.....All sorts of stuff.....There's some special Dads Army radio episodes.....and I think the spin off series 'It sticks out half a mile' was also on there.....with Pike, Hodges and Wilson.....Unfortunately Arthur Lowe died whilst making the series....

There's some extremely funny 'I'm sorry I haven't a clue' online as well.....Full ones and compilations........There's a compilation of Humphrey Lyttelton doing the innuendo stuff......The Lionel Blair round.....where he makes hilarious innuendos involving Lionel Blair...with some Una Stubbs and Christopher Biggins ones chucked in.......It cracks me up every time.....The audience are loving it....
Male
Michaelt  Male  Devon
19-Nov-2020 18:33 Message #4798369
There's only one. Hancock's Half Hour...
Female
BlinkinLights  Female  South Yorkshire
20-Nov-2020 00:19 Message #4798404
JAM for me, I have really cried laughing at those programmes ! I was driving once, whilst listening, and had to pull over as I was laughing so much I was crying and could not see properly. Clement Freud was fantastic with his oh so sombre jokes.

*in case you don't know JAM is Just a Minute.
Female
20-Nov-2020 00:20 Message #4798405
Rumbled : I used to love I'm Sorry ... I shall give it another listen.
Female
20-Nov-2020 00:20 Message #4798406
Rumbled, sorry meant to say Thanks for the reminder ...
Female
20-Nov-2020 00:22 Message #4798407
Oh yes,Orson, used to love Round the Horn too
Female
RoseyCheeks  Female  Nottinghamshire
27-Nov-2020 14:36 Message #4799130
I've applied for tickets to be part of the virtual audience for Infinite Monkey Cage and this morning I took part in one for Kitchen Cabinet with Jay Rayner. It's done via Zoom and they record the audience reactions. Really entertaining and a nice thing to do since I'd normally have missed daytime events when at work. Available via BBC if you're interested.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
1-Dec-2020 08:30 Message #4799365
Who as the famous ventriloquist who was great on the radio but later failed dismally on tv?
Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex
1-Dec-2020 10:49 Message #4799376
Peter Brough with his dummy Archie Andrews in "Educating Archie" introduced an amazing number of future stars, including Benny Hill, Bernard Bresslaw, Beryl Reid, Bruce Forsyth, Dick Emery, Harry Secombe, Hattie Jacques, Julie Andrews, Tony Hancock and Max Bygraves.
On radio Brough's ventriloquism worked very well, but when he transferred to television everybody could see that his lips moved a lot.

I listen to huge amounts of Radio 4 and Radio 4 Extra programmes on a wide range of subjects, and regularly copy many of them from their websites onto old-fashion audiocassettes or as downloads to my mobile phone.

I think that "Cabin Pressure" is possibly the best comedy radio series ever. It has very clear characters, clever plots and apparently much inside knowledge of a very small airline. Its writer John Finnemore also shows his writing and performing brilliance in "John Finnemore's Souvenir Programme", which is intelligent sketches covering a wide range of subjects, like Michael Frayn's "Pocket Playhouse" or "That Mitchell and Webb Sound" etc.

"The Men From The Ministry" is very silly, but its wit makes me enjoy it much more than "Hancock's Half Hour" which is too silly for my taste. (Incidentally, not from HHH, I think that TV's "The Blood Donor" is a masterpiece, (ignoring that that the doctor couldn't have told him his blood group immediately, and "AB negative, rhesus positive" doesn't exist).)

I prefer "Beyond Our Ken" over its successor "Round the Horne".

Reunions are sometimes very touching, and one example was when Kenneth Horne & Sam Costa from "Much Binding in the Marsh", (of which the part I like most is the final song with its delicious orchestration), met again Richard Murdoch in "The Men From The Ministry" 20 years later (in episode "Four Men In A Wellington" in April 1968). Recently Radio 4 Extra broadcast both, weeks apart, but I put them onto the same cassette to add to my collection.

All of these are broadcast on Radio 4 Extra, most of them in series occasionally, "Beyond Our Ken" currently, and HHH available any time. For some programmes I still remember first hearing the jokes in the 1960s.
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon
1-Dec-2020 13:12 Message #4799393
Being a good ventriloquist is very skilful but being an awful ventriloquist is far funnier.

Help with conversations