Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Electric cars only from 2030

If you're buying new.

1 2 Next   Last  

Male
CircusMaximus  Male  North Yorkshire
18-Nov-2020 12:29 Message #4798248
Maybe more difficult for those relying on keeping an old car going for a long time?
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia
18-Nov-2020 12:41 Message #4798249
I have no idea what is going on with the Conservative govt I voted in, we seem to have got Corbyn by mistake.
I hope to change my car early next year and will probably go for a diesel....
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey
18-Nov-2020 13:04 Message #4798251
If 2030 does become the new cut off date then I can see a rush to buy new petrol/diesel in the year or two before.

That of course is itself contingent on manufacturers continuing to make high volumes of internal combustion engines in the run up to 2030.

The fuel economy of EVs could also be severely compromised if Govt seeks to replace lost fuel duty revenue by taxing electricity - so the next few years will see a massive guessing game between manufacturers/consumers around further potential Govt interventions and how to mitigate those.
Male
Wandering4fun  Male  North Yorkshire
18-Nov-2020 13:30 Message #4798252
Earlier today nine of us were taking part in our daily coffee morning on zoom and it was interesting that all those who were against electric cars were also against the lockdowns but were in favour of Brexit. I don't know if that has any significance but interesting all the same.
Male
18-Nov-2020 13:43 Message #4798253
I'd love an electric car but they are too expensive, where I live there is not the facility to charge it (I live in a flat) and they aren't big enough.
Thousands of ordinary people who drive older cars and vans because that's all they can afford will be pushed out by this policy....
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire
18-Nov-2020 14:16 Message #4798254
It's one of those horrible questions/decisions people sometimes have to make, I don't see any easy answer.
Watching the news just now, and as hierophant rightly points out, one of the main things that will have to be done is increase the numbers and availability of charging points, including to areas outside of main towns and cities - think of the Western Isles or Shetland Isles as examples.

It's easy for me to talk, I use public transport or walk everywhere but I've thought for many years we need to look at an alternative to the internal combustion engine....I'm not sure that electric is the way forward but don't know an alternative, unless we take cost out of the equasion, and that won't happen.
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
18-Nov-2020 14:18 Message #4798255
I'm not sure what I will end up driving but will keep my present vehicle as long as possible. I drive a large 4x4 with 3 litre diesel engine. I use it for towing heavy trailers, large boats and car transporters so I need the weight and power. I also need the 4x4 drive for off-road and bad weather. I wouldn't drive it if it wasn't necessary as it's not very fuel friendly.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire
18-Nov-2020 15:40 Message #4798257
I think there is plenty of time for innovation in the next 10 years. Batteries on the Nissan Leaf has gone up from 150 miles range to 250 miles and newer models in some brands have a quick charge option.

You can still buy a hybrid up to 2035, but government leaders in the future might change the target.

I think it's really good because it will force the car industry to not sit on its hanches, and like the Covid vaccine, it has shown what short time lapses can do when there is an urgency to it.
Male
Maglorian  Male  North Yorkshire
18-Nov-2020 16:32 Message #4798258
That's an interesting correlation Wandering; and may i take this moment to say hello! Apparently, we are the same persona according to a few unstable sort on this little forum.

The common denominators I would link strongest are, Against protecting the planet (against electric cars), with Nationalistic chest beaters (In favour of Brexit). The (Against the lockdown's) tend to come from selfish variables, such as, conspiracy theories and refusal to pull together as a society for the common good of all. Which also applies to the National Brexit chest beaters and, F@@k the planet knuckle dragger's.

Selfishness runs the show it seems. One of the ugliest side effects of Neo-liberalism unfortunately.

I agree with JustLyn, and i'm sure i will be vilified for doing so. But trolls will be trolls. Cue MrNoSaintlyQuiet....
Can do! Will do! Positivity and Innovation. Hopefully, when this dystopia subsides and society reemerges from the me me Neo-liberalism, we will see a change of hope. Speaking of hope... Good to see Jeremy reinstated.
Male
brisinger-the-beekeeper  Male  Lancashire
18-Nov-2020 18:16 Message #4798263
Contrary to popular belief it's not as if the technology for electric cars wasn't there. Way back in 1968 for instance Roy Doring (youtube video) was running one at city speed 30-40mph at good distances between recharge. It's the manufacturers who shelved the principle of developing it as an emerging technology for modern society. The biggest obstacle being charge time. Currently the premium is far too much to encourage new car buyers.
Male
brisinger-the-beekeeper  Male  Lancashire
18-Nov-2020 18:22 Message #4798264
https://youtu.be/NWcy2HgTjCA
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
18-Nov-2020 18:54 Message #4798268
W4F I don't actually find it surprising that your coffee morning group were split like that, I think its all part of the same mentality.
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey
18-Nov-2020 20:05 Message #4798276
"I think there is plenty of time for innovation in the next 10 years. Batteries on the Nissan Leaf has gone up from 150 miles range to 250 miles and newer models in some brands have a quick charge option."

I agree that theoretical battery ranges are increasing - but in real world conditions such as stop start traffic/cold weather/wet weather needing heater/wipers/night time driving needing lights etc actual rage will be significantly less - cold esp lowers battery voltage.
Male
Bogeyman  Male  Derbyshire
18-Nov-2020 20:48 Message #4798280
Lol at Hierophant.
This is new politics.
You think Boris have interest in green energy?
No he interested in votes, green energy mean votes.

You see both main parties same on this issue, they have same vote target.
Two main parties same on lots of issues now.
But it leave big gap in future, for party with more sensible energy policy.

Lots of votes in people, that want affordable driving.
Remove an energy source, main problem is?
Other sources become more expensive, because less competition.

Male
18-Nov-2020 21:38 Message #4798284
Well if this is new politics you can leave me out thanks.
The country is going through the worst crisis most of us have ever known, people are on their knees in despair, losing their jobs, businesses, livelihoods and minds because we're intent on trashing our economy and suddenly we're talking about the urgency for everybody to have £30,000 electric cars.
The government are contemplating allowing us 5 days off at Christmas to meet our loved ones before locking us away again. I imagine this is what it must be like living in North Korea.
Surely, teasing people with the prospect of something nice and then saying you haven't decided if they can have it yet is tantamount to psychological abuse isn't it?
And to top it off, I'm told 49% of my fellow Brits think the govt should make it legally compulsory for people to have the covid vaccine.
One day we will look back at all this and laugh....
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire
18-Nov-2020 23:23 Message #4798286
The ruling was inevitable. It was only the timing which was up for discussion.
Male
Kimjongun  Male  South Yorkshire
18-Nov-2020 23:28 Message #4798288
That new politics too Hierophant.
Poll say 49%, that funny.
You can rig polls easy, its no where near that figure.
Most people not even worried about Covid.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire
18-Nov-2020 23:39 Message #4798291
Something someone may be able to tell me, do these batteries have a lifespan? and what happens to the chemicals inside them when that lifespan is reached? and what happens to the used batteries?
Male
19-Nov-2020 07:19 Message #4798293
Yes they do have a lifespan just like any battery, you can only charge and discharge a battery so many times.
Used batteries are not recyclable as far as I know.
Many of the components have to be mined which isn't exactly environmentally friendly and how are we going to produce all of the electricity to power every single bit of our lives?
We will need a heck of a lot of wind turbines and even more batteries to store the power....
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
19-Nov-2020 08:48 Message #4798301
Something someone may be able to tell me, do these batteries have a lifespan? and what happens to the chemicals inside them when that lifespan is reached? and what happens to the used batteries?

I know some manufacturers guarantee the batteries for eight years. New batteries would be very expensive so I wonder if there is any part exchange possible.
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex
19-Nov-2020 10:09 Message #4798310
I wouldn't worry about electric cars from 2030 too much, Tories for sure will be out by then, and saying something is going to happen and then carrying it through, are two different things as well. He'll next come out with cyclists only from 2030.
Female
19-Nov-2020 10:18 Message #4798312
terry,

Before I bought my then 3 year old hybrid I asked a few taxi drivers and had Prius and another person who had bought a 10 year old one and had it for 5 years and none of them had had problems with batteries. I contacted Toyota and they said they had a 1% failure at 10 years, but that only reduced efficiency as they just use the engine a bit more.

The retired batteries are reused for domestic purposes as they are not running under load powering a car, just storing surplus solar or thermal energy for when the sun isn't shining. They are called power bricks.

Otherwise I found this:
At the recycling center, the battery is smashed to pieces in a hammermill first. The broken fragments go to a vat, with lead and heavy materials settling to the bottom and the plastic rising to the top. The plastic pieces are scooped out and the liquid drained, leaving the lead and metal materials. The polypropylene plastic is then washed, dried and sent to a hopper where the plastic pieces are melted together.
Male
The_38th_Parallel  Male  Essex
19-Nov-2020 11:40 Message #4798328
I wouldn't worry about electric cars from 2030 too much, Tories for sure will be out by then,

Really?!
And the oppositions alternate vision is?

Oh! yes from Day One Labour's Green Industrial Revolution seeks to accelerate the electrification process and they already have the target date for the phasing out the sale of internal combustion engine (ICE) vehicles by 2030.
Male
19-Nov-2020 11:42 Message #4798329
Precisely, I was hoping the Conservatives would be the sensible party, instead I voted for Boris Johnson and ended up with Caroline Lucas....
Female
19-Nov-2020 14:28 Message #4798339
Nah, because Johnson is wasting billions of military development and HS2.

Even more, the latter as it s going to be a huge white elephant when we have he potential to have a 600mph monorail in the near future.

1 2 Next   Last  

Help with conversations