Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

The bigger picture

Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire
17-Nov-2020 23:41 Message #4798223
I sometimes wonder if we spend too much time thinking of the bigger things happening in the world and too little time thinking of what's happening around us?
There's talk of Orca's attacking boats in the Atlantic, I quite liked reading some of the scientists comments about what was happening, especially one who talked of how we're trying to explain it using our own human system of referencing and language; this scientist proposed the animals were playing, not attacking.

What does that have to do with my first paragraph of too much time thinking? haven't a clue but they seem linked in my mind and both things are worth talking about.
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
18-Nov-2020 08:24 Message #4798225
I have always been a great believer in actually doing something rather than complaining about something. I know plenty of people who talk about their concerns for world peace, the environment, society in general, etc but do nothing other than talk or post their concerns online.
Unless you're a world leader or ceo of a multinational company your actions are probably limited to local issues so that should be a worthwhile starting point.
Anyone who asks themselves "what can I do to help locally, what can I volunteer to do, what should I be doing in my own life" will find enough answers to keep them busy for the rest of their lives.

I know nothing about orcas.
Male
The_38th_Parallel  Male  Essex
18-Nov-2020 09:40 Message #4798230
I know nothing about orcas.

That's black and white !!!
;-)
Male
Pboro Trevor  Male  Cambridgeshire
18-Nov-2020 10:27 Message #4798233
We must always view a big a picture as we can when problem solving. However on a planetary basis there are just too many variables to consider, especially as a number of countries are resistant to outside interference.

Trevor
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
18-Nov-2020 12:07 Message #4798247
I theres a series of pictures that get progressively bigger and intersect, people need to communicate more constructively and actually listen to each other rather than shout slogans at each other. I really think if we had more honest dialogue with fellow human beings rather than money and vested interests holding the balance of power the world would be in a much better place.
Female
BunnyGirl  Female  Buckinghamshire
19-Nov-2020 09:16 Message #4798303
A lot of people do think that their way is always right and other people are wrong. People never want to see other people’s point of view.
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex
19-Nov-2020 10:14 Message #4798311
It would depend if you are involved in a bigger picture, or a small picture. To see things from different perspectives is better than looking at them from a small information map. If one is interested in a broader landscape that is, some are not of course.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire
20-Nov-2020 12:52 Message #4798452
It's good if you can do both.
Female
LadyVera  Female  Cumbria
20-Nov-2020 21:57 Message #4798509
It is good to look at both. Looking at the bigger picture can affect the decisions you make on the smaller things.
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex
20-Nov-2020 22:16 Message #4798513
Can depend on what the picture is.

As in the phrase "for the greater good", on all levels. Of the human race, of one particular race, or party, what we want is what we want, stuff the rest, for personal gain, the variables are endless.

Help with conversations