Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Putin, extending Russian footprint, approves new naval facility in Sudan

Male
CircusMaximus  Male  North Yorkshire
17-Nov-2020 12:59 Message #4798160
"MOSCOW (Reuters) - President Vladimir Putin on Monday approved the creation of a Russian naval facility in Sudan capable of mooring nuclear-powered surface vessels, clearing the way for Moscow's first substantial military foothold in Africa since the Soviet fall.

The new facility, earmarked to be built in the vicinity of Port Sudan, will be capable of accommodating up to 300 military and civilian personnel and improve Russia's ability to operate in the Indian Ocean, expanding its influence in Africa."

With Brexit and Covid hogging the news have we taken our eye off of Russia.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia
17-Nov-2020 13:05 Message #4798162
I don't understand, why is it okay for some countries to do things like this, but not Russia?
You'd think the USA under Trump was more dangerous than any other country given the media reporting in the last four years, but now this?...
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
17-Nov-2020 18:51 Message #4798185
Well apparently Trump had to be talked out of bombing Iran after he lost to Biden.

I think that Russia has maybe become less of a priority because of Islamist terrorism, but it should still be an intelligence priority.

Its not OK for Russia to get involved in Africa and elsewhere because our governments don't like it and none of them can play nicely together.
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex
17-Nov-2020 19:46 Message #4798188
It certainly is ok for Russia to have a military base in the Sudan, the decision lies with the Sudanese government, not the west. America & China have a base in the vicinity.

"The Sudanese government will provide Russia with the necessary port infrastructure and a piece of land free of charge.

Russia will be allowed to transfer “any kind of military equipment or munition, equipment or material” through Sudanese ports that are required for the center, the agreement read.

The center will function under Russia’s jurisdiction, and the agreement will last for 25 years, with the option to renew it for another 10-year period."

Wonder why Reuters failed to report more details.
Female
17-Nov-2020 20:17 Message #4798194
Maybe because Biden won. haha or supposedly won. Foreign countries are gearing up if Trump does not win his case.

Three super-powers are better than just the one. The Sudan is in fact on the list of one of the most dangerous places to live. Terrorism, civil unrest, crime. The more military presence the better.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire
17-Nov-2020 20:49 Message #4798198
Have we taken our eye off Russia?
I doubt it, I would suspect all the usual shennanigans have been going on behind the scenes. Pity we can't just leave countries alone and work more on trade and peace, by 'we' I'm talking all the so called superpowers.
Female
17-Nov-2020 21:18 Message #4798203
I'm sure we haven't taken our eye off Russia! We surround it with NATO bases, just as we do China. We never cease to keep our eye open for the main chance.

Trade deals are being made all the time, a recent and multinational far east trade deal with several Asian countries, a big one, I believe just signed off. The west, you'll be interested to know, was excluded. We should get off our high horse and stop thinking we have a monopoly on global power, and think we can tell others what to do because that is going to change.

So called superpowers by their very existence prevent a 3rd world conflict.
Female
20-Nov-2020 21:52 Message #4798507
Interesting situation, Sudan is rich in oil and other minerals, it is also one of the top importers of Russian arms, in Africa. The new naval base will not only expand Russia's influence in that area, along the Red Sea ports, but will be delivered free to Sudan in order to maintain their air defence, of Port Sudan, where Russia will build the naval facility.

The US has plans to remove Sudan from its list of state sponsors of terrorism, after a change in government in Sudan. Saudi Arabia & the UAE are also interested in Sudan. Wonder at the sudden concerted interest in Sudan. Hitherto been riddled with terrorists.

This should really be in Forum.
Male
The_Snow_Covered_Fool  Male  Cheshire
22-Nov-2020 09:42 Message #4798611
This country cannot complain about anybody having miitary bases in other countries.
History tells us we use to have more military bases in other countries than anybody else, in fact we use to have more countries under UK control nevermind just bases. !

Chris.
Female
22-Nov-2020 14:26 Message #4798643
I think we still do have more military bases than anybody else! But not so many countries.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire
3-Dec-2020 07:35 new  Message #4799612
We certainly have a lot of bases but more than the US?

Help with conversations