Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Pet flea treatments poisoning rivers across England

Male
CircusMaximus  Male  North Yorkshire
17-Nov-2020 12:32 Message #4798158
"Highly toxic insecticides used on cats and dogs to kill fleas are poisoning rivers across England, a study has revealed. The discovery is “extremely concerning” for water insects, and the fish and birds that depend on them, the scientists said, who expect significant environmental damage is being done."

It's easy to give little or no thought to where our products end up.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia
17-Nov-2020 12:35 Message #4798159
How is it getting into the rivers?...
Female
Andromeda  Female  Berkshire
17-Nov-2020 13:11 Message #4798163
Maybe they are still trying to find out but it's easy to understand when there are 20 million or so pet cats and dogs in the country and most will have received some flea treatment.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
17-Nov-2020 18:46 Message #4798184
Dogs like to swim, or most do anyway, dogs get washed, waste water gets treated and put back into the river systems.
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon
17-Nov-2020 21:54 Message #4798212
Dogs are often washed in the bath or shower and that would end up in the drainage system.
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire
18-Nov-2020 16:56 Message #4798262
I use a comb on my cat. Only had 1 flea in the past several months. I won't use chemicals.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
18-Nov-2020 18:40 Message #4798265
Golly I'd have fun and games trying to comb my cats and I'm not sure if flea zapping combs would work on very close coated dogs like greyhounds.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
19-Nov-2020 08:18 Message #4798294
It sounds quite worrying and I'm sure they will bring in new legislation to ban certain ingredients in flea treatments. One of the main ingredients which was discovered in more than 90% of the rivers tested has already been banned from agricultural use for years.
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside
19-Nov-2020 16:05 Message #4798347
Humans pollute more, a survey of beaches in popular places found sunscreen was the worst pollutant
To be honest most waterways are polluted, ships, boats, barges, for example
And how many people pee in the sea? Lol
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire
19-Nov-2020 18:34 Message #4798370
I'm interested to know how cat and dog flea treatments hop off the pets and into the river.
I wouldn't be surprised to find out that that's not what they mean, without reading the actual article, which I haven't. Pyrethroids and organophosphates are used as pesticides in all kinds of scenarios, they are used in their millions of tons every year by farmers on the land (for example) to ensure that our farmland can be farmed intensively and will yield maximum concentrations of produce. The amount of pesticides used in this way alone makes pet use pale into significance. Then there are large animals used for food production that also need to be treated. Tiny amounts are used on pets, or you would kill the pet. They just happen to be the same chemicals or in the same chemical groups, that's all.
In another life, I helped develop and produce these products. My job was to generate the safety data to get the government to allow us to sell them.

Help with conversations