Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Here we go again

1 2 3 4 Next   Last  

Male
Pboro Trevor  Male  Cambridgeshire
31-Oct-2020 10:59 Message #4796444
From this morning's BBC News

The prime minister is considering a month-long lockdown across England in the hope that measures could be eased before Christmas.

A new "stay at home" order could be announced on Monday, with schools, colleges and universities exempt.

Batten down the hatches!

Trevor
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
31-Oct-2020 11:10 Message #4796448
There was a bloke interviewed on BBC news last night in one of the lockdown areas who was travelling to the next county so as he could go to the betting shop and the pub, he only wore a mask because he had to and said rules were made to be broken. Its people like him who make a total lockdown more likely.

The figures in England are very high in the north, lower in the south and west, but unless you stop people travelling the south and west will get it worse. My fear is that there could be another lockdown so as 'we can save christmas' only to have another wave by the end of January early february.
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex
31-Oct-2020 11:20 Message #4796451
From this morning's BBC News

The prime minister is considering a month-long lockdown across England in the hope that measures could be eased before Christmas.

A new "stay at home" order could be announced on Monday, with schools, colleges and universities exempt.

Batten down the hatches!

Trevor

There's a few countries in Europe going into a full lockdown. But their figures are a lot worse than ours. Maybe Boris should do this. But leaving schools and universities open is not full lockdown. Though I think uni students are best all in one place! It should slow it right down in time for christmas.
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
31-Oct-2020 11:41 Message #4796459
Most normal sensible people realise the 'catching or passing on' thing......ie More likely to catch it or pass it on if you don't wash your hands, keep your distance, wear masks.....

But the terminology 'More likely' ....or things like 'less likely'.....are obviously not full on ways of stopping it.....

We see crowds of people.....no masks.....no distancing....and god knows what on their hands......but the majority of people are trying to adhere to all the hands face thing....

Rebels exist at all times.......Always have.....Always will....

Idiots exist at all times.....Always have....Always will....

If for instance, someone usually doesn't wash their hands much.....and they're a rebelly idiotic plonker to boot.....they ain't going to suddenly start.....

The majority of people have always washed their hands regularly......The way they've been brought up......In any public toilet for instance....the handdriers are usually in full flow.....especially since the fancy Dyson type ones.....Whilst you're having your whatevers.....the driers are starting..stopping....starting etc.....Even queues form......And that's what most people have always been like......Even in the days of those pull towel machines....until they run out...and you ended up with a drenched end of towel hanging out only....

Nobody can really say who passes it on.....Just that it's more likely etc....if you don't do all the things.....

It's everywhere......and shops have people scrubbing the counters every few minutes.....but everything everywhere isn't being cleaned.....that would be impossible.....and also a neverending task.....

Who's to say that even the people in full mask, distancing, with the cleanest hands in the world....is not passing it on.....or getting it......They are probably more likely not to.....but that's all it is.....more likely.....They don't become Immune.....from catching or spreading.....

Anyway.....Lockdown here we come.....
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia
31-Oct-2020 11:50 Message #4796462
One question for all you mask wearers, do you cough or sneeze into the mask or remove it and do it into a hanky or something?
How often do you change your mask?...
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
31-Oct-2020 12:16 Message #4796466
Personally I would take the mask off and sneeze into a disposable handkerchief which is what I have done for many years now. Before that it was the old cotton handkerchief which I still often carry.
I believe I'm at a vulnerable age (or getting close) but I have several reasons for being careful. I live with someone who is not well and extremely vulnerable to any virus as well as having severe asthma and some breathing problems. We still go out for meals and walks but keep distanced and wear masks where the rules say or where it seems a sensible thing to do.
I also visit private homes several times a week with my work and apart from needing to protect them I also need to protect myself and those close to me. In those houses I wear a mask and gloves although I no longer wear the shoe protectors. I keep distanced in those houses which is easy enough.
Since the pandemic struck I cancelled my overseas work which cost me a hefty sum but I didn't feel it was worth the risk of bringing the virus back here and if I did become ill I would rather be in the U.K. than anywhere else.
I wash my hands more often and use disposable towels. I wear a mask when sensible to do so. I give everyone space. I've had smaller family gatherings. Getting a coffee when out is a bit more difficult. I want to go away for a break (a long weekend perhaps) but don't feel it's the time to do so.

If I was told today we were on lockdown, which isn't really a lockdown but just restrictions, for another year I would adapt to a few changes and cant say I would be too bothered.

PS. I don't travel into the city as often as I did as most of the people I would visit are working from home. London offices are like ghost towns.
Male
GBH  Male  East Anglia
31-Oct-2020 12:21 Message #4796469
"Like one, that on a lonesome road
Doth walk in fear and dread,
And having once turned round walks on,
And turns no more his head;
Because he knows, a frightful fiend
Doth close behind him tread.”

A fictional Victor Frankenstein quoting Coleridge.
Male
31-Oct-2020 12:37 Message #4796471
Press conference at 4 PM today.....
Male
31-Oct-2020 13:53 Message #4796473
Now delayed until 5 PM ... lol
Male
Kimjongun  Male  South Yorkshire
31-Oct-2020 14:56 Message #4796477
Its the kufwit show at 5pm.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire
31-Oct-2020 16:00 Message #4796488
Good post tumbled worded in your own inimitable way.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire
31-Oct-2020 16:23 Message #4796490
Png. Another interesting post as it gives an insight into how this virus has affected lives. A positive attitude.
Male
31-Oct-2020 16:48 Message #4796491
Delayed again, not at 5 pm.... lol
Male
MattHandcock  Male  Somerset
31-Oct-2020 17:00 Message #4796492
6.30pm now. Elect clowns, expect a circus.

Male
31-Oct-2020 17:08 Message #4796493
According to the BBC

Prime Minister Boris Johnson is set to announce a second national lockdown for England as the UK passed one million Covid-19 cases.

Non-essential shops and hospitality will have to close for a month, sources told the BBC.

But unlike the restriction in the spring, schools and colleges are to be allowed to stay open.

It comes as documents suggested the UK was on course for a much higher death toll than during the first wave.

The lockdown is also expected to include restrictions on travel and is due to come into force on Thursday, lasting until 2 December, BBC political correspondent Nick Eardley said.
Male
GBH  Male  East Anglia
31-Oct-2020 17:17 Message #4796494
4pm? 5Pm? Now not 5pm?

Kimjophant believe all they read.
Male
31-Oct-2020 17:23 Message #4796495
Sounds like trouble at mill.
I wonder who has threatened to resign?.....
Male
Templar2013  Male  South East London
31-Oct-2020 17:36 Message #4796497
The government are on a lose/lose whatever course they take. Every time they make rules the nation complains and rebels. If they don't take action they will be blamed for any deaths. Already opinion is completely divided as to what should be done.
While all this goes on a large number of ignorant people thinking they are clever or funny post all sorts of idiocy online which confuse and make things more difficult for those who are sensible and want to comply.
Male
31-Oct-2020 17:45 Message #4796500
People are on a lose/lose course too, nobody is benefitting from this.
In my view sensible people, as you call them, will look very carefully and question what is being proposed. These are very difficult times for all, but anybody who simply waves this stuff through without question isn't being very sensible....
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire
31-Oct-2020 18:05 Message #4796502
The rate of infection in secondary schools is expected to exceed that in universities in the next few days. Did you see those teenage "don't cares" in Liverpool partying in the streets?
Female
31-Oct-2020 18:09 Message #4796505
I've yet to sneeze or cough when mask wearing, if I was having a coughing fit then I'd remove the mask and use a tissue, but I often don't know when I'm going to sneeze, if I had a sneeze then I'd probably turn my face into my shoulder or underarm.

I use two masks when going shopping as I find one becomes damp halfway through and I think a damp mask would be more likely to transmit infection that a dry one.

I agree that whatever the government does will be wrong for some people, but thats how it is, we either lock down properly or use the Swedish model, or even worse the Trump one and pretend its not happening. I don't think we really want to pretend its not happening, so we have to have either of the other two options. But if anyone has a better idea then I'm sure we'd all be glad to hear it.
Male
2-Nov-2020 09:02 Message #4796603
"I use two masks when going shopping as I find one becomes damp halfway through and I think a damp mask would be more likely to transmit infection that a dry one."

And that's exactly what you shouldn't do, you shouldn't touch the mask once it's on, unless you wash/sanitise your hands immediately after doing so and before touching anything else. What do you do with the "damp" mask? Where do you keep the clean one?

If the damp mask has trapped infected droplets, then you're touching them with your hands and passing them on by touching the "clean" mask as you put that on. Not only that, you're touching items in the supermarket with the same hands and of course touching your face, eyes, nose and mouth as you fiddle about with the new mask.

Infection control is all about breaking the chain of infection, it's breaking the normal habits we all have and it's very very difficult to do. You have to think about every move you make and ensure you wash your hands between each one or it's all pretty much a waste of time.
That's why wearing masks is, in my view, a waste of time.....
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon
2-Nov-2020 09:12 Message #4796604
I'm not sure wearing two masks has any benefits but I don't think it any less effective either. Washing our hands frequently has become second nature to most of us now so many shops and venues have hand cleaning facilities outside and inside their premises.

Some people definitely gain anything from wearing a mask if they don't take it seriously but for the majority it is protecting others from any unintended spittle.
Female
2-Nov-2020 11:33 Message #4796612
I touch my maks by the ear loops!
Male
2-Nov-2020 12:01 Message #4796615
Anyone can write anything on here....and on other platforms about what they do and what they don't.......Not many will say that they are one of the irresponsible ones.....

Most people will say that they do everything right.....everything responsible.....everything common sense...etc etc....

Then we hear a lot of people saying that it's 'others' who are the irresponsible ones.....no common sense....no masks....no washing hands...etc etc....

Also....something that's been brought up before.....People have been heard saying that the reason there's no flu around is because everyone is wearing masks, washing hands, distancing......

Yet......People are saying that the reason Covid is spreading all over the place is because a lot of people aren't wearing masks, aren't washing hands, aren't distancing......

Those two things don't add up at all..........

As we know from on here......some people lie and lie.....Some with multi id's are actually posting different sides.......and then giving it the old 'moral compass'.......Are they psycho's?....or just messing about?......who knows......

1 2 3 4 Next   Last  

Help with conversations