Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

What tier are you

1 2 3 4 Next   Last  

Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
15-Oct-2020 09:21 Message #4795186
Gloucester is currently medium......but then I realised medium is the lowest.....

But according to our local news....cases are increasing fast......schools are closing....all sorts...

I would have thought that would be higher than the lowest tier.....

What tier are you in?.....
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia
15-Oct-2020 09:25 Message #4795187
I couldn't tell you, I'm just going about my usual routine until I'm told to not come into work and stay at home cos everything is shut again....
Male
Pboro Trevor  Male  Cambridgeshire
15-Oct-2020 09:38 Message #4795191
Medium is where cases are still occurring but below the higher levels

Peterborough is, along with most of East Anglia, Medium

Trevor
Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region
15-Oct-2020 09:46 Message #4795193
I heard from a fellow dog walker that our area of Falkirk, is 12th on the list as worst areas of Falkirk.... "How many areas of Falkirk is there?" I don't think there is 12!!!

I don't know, I don't care....

I don't think it's worth the energy thinking about anymore. They just impose these ridiculous rules and we seem to have no choice but to follow along.... and see how far they push, see how daft it becomes....
Male
Templar2013  Male  South East London
15-Oct-2020 09:54 Message #4795194
Everyone in the UK is at some risk so medium is the lowest tier which makes sense. The three tier method is so simple I hope social media don't do the usual thing of confusing those using it.

Last night I was listening to a French update on the spread of Covid and the measures taken and being taken and they were discussing, almost word for word, the same things we are discussing here.
Male
15-Oct-2020 10:07 Message #4795196
It became daft ages ago, tiers just give people something new to get excited about.
We lock down and "cases" still rise, so we lock down a bit more and they still keep going up.
What's the quote about repeating the same action and expecting a different outcome?

Despite all of this, we're heading for a complete national lock down, but they'll call it a circuit breaker cos it sounds better and not so draconian.
The Irish PM has said life will not return to any kind of normality until a vaccine is found, make of that what you will.
He seems to suggest a vaccine will definitely be found and sooner rather than later, despite plenty of infections/diseases existing for years without one ever being discovered.

We're told there is so much about this virus we don't know, yet a vaccine seems certain.
People are convinced that once the magic vaccine appears, we'll all be given a dose and it will be like covid never existed.
I truly despair.....
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon
15-Oct-2020 10:12 Message #4795198
While governments around the world juggle to keep their countries moving while still doing their utmost to stem the spread of the virus everything will always be changing and changing quickly at times.
The alternative would be to shut every country down completely which would obviously stop the spread of the virus but is that a viable thing to do?

I have followed the governments rules and regulations since last March and it hasn't presented any major difficulties and has been easy to comply with.
Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region
15-Oct-2020 10:29 Message #4795203
"People are convinced that once the magic vaccine appears, we'll all be given a dose and it will be like covid never existed."

In the last two weeks, I've never seen so many houses up for sale in my village. I've been looking at houses/flats in this villege for well over 10 years, probably closer to 15, for sale signs are popping up everywhere....

I'm wondering if this is people now crumbling financially due to the mass over reaction to this virus?

If it is, then these families who are losing their homes due to this, I doubt they will forget it ever existed.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
15-Oct-2020 10:34 Message #4795204
Its slightly different here in Wales, I think Anglesey would be in the middle tier on the English scale, I think Wales will be having a circuit brake lockdown soon. One of the problems with that is how do we stop people from covid hotspots from coming here for holidays? I guess its an issue for SW England too, where theres low covid rates but people come for holidays? I can't see how its right to allow people from covid hotspots to travel to non covid hotspots? I also don't know how you'd stop them either, over easter we had police turning people back to get them to respect lockdown, so they started using courier services to take thier luggage to their holiday home or caravan whilst they travelled in thier cars looking like they wern't going on holiday.
Male
15-Oct-2020 10:54 Message #4795213
I'd be careful what you wish for WH, I know tourists are a bugbear of yours and you'd be happy if they never set foot in your part of the world ever again, but your country needs them.
Your free prescriptions and other benefits rely on money coming from somewhere and as an observer I would suggest Wales doesn't have a lot else to rely on.
Even when the vaccine has saved us all, the tourists might not come back....
Male
The_38th_Parallel  Male  Essex
15-Oct-2020 11:18 Message #4795216
It looks very likely that London and Essex will be raised to Tier 2 from the weekend but the infection levels and daily increases are so different across all of London's Boroughs even neighbouring one's.
But the whole metropolis will have to be under the same Tier regardless.
I'm not surprised that they're about to raise the threat levels now what with the School Half Term just around the corner.
In my London Borough it's 26-30 October (but I understand dates and length of break do vary across the country) so bringing it in this weekend will mean they can start what I think will be a minimum 3 weeker (a week before, a week during, and a week after) to prevent different households mixing and prevent potentially infected people travelling around the country to spread it during the break.
Male
15-Oct-2020 11:26 Message #4795217
Manchester has been under the tier two restrictions now coming in for London for 10+ weeks.
It's case rate per 100,000 has doubled repeatedly in that time. We already know these measures don't work to curtail the spread of the virus.
But we'll keep doing them anyway...
Male
zodiac1  Male  Flintshire
15-Oct-2020 11:57 Message #4795218
It needs just one person moving round the country, or coming in from abroad by boat plane or train etc, to accelerate the virus, thats beside the fact that some will be idiotic enough to party when and where they should not apart from the ease of supermarket booze buying for the latter to cause nothing short of a total lockdown everywhere.
Male
15-Oct-2020 12:09 Message #4795220
Ever thought we don't stand a chance then?...

Male
15-Oct-2020 12:44 Message #4795223
Well I now know we are heading into Tier 2 (High) as from midnight on Friday, so it will be a weekend at home rather than visiting my elderly parents. Still, I've seen them twice this year already and it's only October.

I've just watched Jeremy Hunt ask the Health secretary, with a straight face, if he can name a date when the whole population will be tested once a week for covid-19.
I'm a Conservative and even I laughed at that....
Male
The_38th_Parallel  Male  Essex
15-Oct-2020 14:18 Message #4795228
Just think about it though.
It's a pointless question to which there is no answer.
Other than maybe "how long is a piece of string".
Even 42 which is the “answer to the meaning of life, the universe, and everything” is defeated.

And logistically it would be just about as completely impossible to achieve as is imaginable.
At the moment we can't even get the 1st phase of the seasonal flu vaccines to the over 65's.
Male
Neros1954  Male  Devon
15-Oct-2020 14:22 Message #4795230
I was about to post similar to yours The 38th Parallel. It was a ridiculous question with no answer,
Male
15-Oct-2020 14:27 Message #4795231
The crazy thing is though, it's the only way I can see testing being of any real benefit.
What is the point of testing 250,000 random people each day who have a slight cough?
Today they test negative, tomorrow they become infected. It's the biggest waste of time, resources and money I can think of....
Male
Orson  Male  Tayside
15-Oct-2020 14:51 Message #4795234
One moved to one's own part of Scotland twelve years ago. One of the many attractions of Scotland is it's relative lack of people. Spoiled only slightly by ghastly floods of tourists. How one yearns for a lockdown again. How lovely it was to bathe in such peace and quiet.
Female
Bewildered  Female  Norfolk
15-Oct-2020 15:01 Message #4795238
Medium, many cases from factories close by and the workers do not abide by the rules...

our hospital is already full, and the Covid cases are rising...

I have just been for my fit test........... none fit! .. now I have a problem !

people who poo poo covid and do as they please put added stress and anxiety on those who work with it,,,
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire
15-Oct-2020 18:22 Message #4795254
I'm assuming we are tier 1 unless and until told otherwise. I have a 6th form College backing onto my garden. My Gt Niece is there. Her mum told me they have had 3 cases of Covid. I'm really surprised it's so low! Mind you, they re the ones with symptoms. Goodness knows how many there really are.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
15-Oct-2020 18:55 Message #4795259
Hiero, you posted a lot on this thread, what do you suggest the country does about covid?

If you were living in somehere with little covid how would you feel about people being allowed to travel freely from areas with high infection rates that are supposed to be under some sort of lockdown anyway?

I agree that many people arn't taking it seriously and that the semi lockdowns arn't working, somehow we're going to all have to live with this for the foreseeable future. We might get a reliable vaccine in the next few months and I think if it dosen't take to long then things might go back to "normal", but if we end up with another year of this then I don't think it will. Some things won't be coming back though, the numbers of businesses folding is finishing off our already depleted high streets.

I don't pretend to have all the answers, but I think we're reaching a point where we either have repeated lockdowns or we take the Swedish route, neither are ideal but I can't see a middle way.

I do wonder if theres an agenda behind the early closing for pubs and pubs not being able to open at all unless they do meals, supermarkets arn't allowed to sell alcohol after 10pm either. It all seems like we're going back to the days when "the working classes" couldn't be trusted with alcohol and it had to be regulated by a paternalistic government who never had a problem with their own alcohol consumption. I notice the HoC bars are still open and serving after 10pm. I wonder what will be the next thing is we'll see being curtailed, fast foods, ready meals, sweets?
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey
15-Oct-2020 19:35 Message #4795260
Apart from the highest level of lockdown - there is still no absolute restriction on the movement of people within the UK - ie within the constraints of indoor gatherings and mask wearing in shops/public transport.

UK citizens are not yet under the kind of house arrest used in parts of Europe earlier in the pandemic so the Police have no right to stop people from eg England visiting say Wales/West Country - though with so many restrictions in place and so few facilities able to be used one wonders why would they bother at this time - when at month end it will be dark by 5.00 pm?
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside
15-Oct-2020 20:07 Message #4795262
I, m on highest tier, liverpool
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
15-Oct-2020 22:48 Message #4795275
When I'm out in the city when everyone rolls out of the pubs the stupidly is beyond all comprehension and it's hardly surprising we have problems up here.

1 2 3 4 Next   Last  

Help with conversations