Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Getting rid of stuff

..and is there anything you really regret buying

Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire
14-Oct-2020 17:33 Message #4795143
I was trying to not buy more kitchen electrical gadgets so I thought a food mill would be a good idea now I have more time and energy to make some soups.

For anyone who has never heard of it, it is basically a large grinder for vegetables rather than the little salt and pepper mills.

I paid £45 for a good one, but no, it is sooooo tedious to use and a devil to clean so I was avoiding using it.

So the plan is to get rid of two thing to get one replacement so my son fancies trying my compact food processor, I've got a bid for £8 on Ebay for the hardly used food mill, and I have bought a Ninja blender / soup maker which so far even makes my oat milk.

Have you ever bought something with good intentions but realised it just didn't do it for you?
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
14-Oct-2020 18:46 Message #4795144
Pyrex glass saucepans, remember them? I believed all the reviews and bought some and they were totally useless, everything stuck to them.

I had a mouli for making soups and purees, I had a smal one for making baby food and then got a big one for adult amounts, you only seem to be able to get them in France, but they make really nicely textured soups. A good way to not use electrical items as its metal with nothing much to go wrong, the ort of thing you'll be handing down to your grandkids.

Years ago I bought a potato ricer, I can't imagine making mash any other way now, its easy and makes lovely creamy smooth mash and is fairly easy to clean. The only thing to watch out for when buying one is that the metal is strong enough, some of them seem to be made of very poor quality metal and the handles bend making it useless. The one I have seems to be the sort of thing a grandchild will inherit, strong and nothing to go wrong.
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside
14-Oct-2020 20:30 Message #4795152
A vax, jeez the minute I got it dirt appeared all the time on the carpet, lol I stupidly bought a cream lounge carpet thinking it would always look great now I had a vax!!! So for six months every Saturday morning was spent vaxing, then I threw the carpet got laminate and gave the vax away, bliss, I got my Saturday mornings back lol
Female
14-Oct-2020 20:32 Message #4795154
It turns out it's a mouli I have sold!

I had forgotten the name of it, but I couldn't get on with it, and thought I would pass it down as you say WH.
Happy to mash with just a hand masher.

One thing that I am very glad I bought was an obviously unused salad spinner from a charity shop, thinking I would just donate it back if it was a waste of space, but no, it seems to have the magic effect of keeping greens fresh for longer if I wash and spin them then put them in a container in the fridge.
Male
Pboro Trevor  Male  Cambridgeshire
15-Oct-2020 09:36 Message #4795190
We bought a blitzer - that lasted less than a month - lol

Trevor
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
15-Oct-2020 10:41 Message #4795211
Was that a vacumn cleaner Euro? I had one of the same make that promised it would last for 5 years or your money back, I believe the motor thing might have lasted that long, but all the hoses and heads didn't fit properly so all the suction was lost. I did buy a vax carpet shampooer and thats brilliant, it was expensive, but worth it, I can deep clean the carpets and have them dry again in a couple of hours, it does upholstery too.
Female
15-Oct-2020 10:48 Message #4795212
Euro,

The cream carpet.. mmm... my daughter forced me into the same thing for her bedroom, then with lots of Ikea furniture constructed on top of it, then two dogs...

Thankfully, my ex did his own bamboo flooring then donated his carpet cleaner!
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire
15-Oct-2020 18:33 Message #4795257
I've got an old mouli somewhere I used to use to make the baby food. Perhaps I don't need that any more? I bought a toasted sarny maker back in the day. Useless thing. The breadd that would fit it hasn't yet been invented and it was impossible to clean properly without soaking the electrics. My father-in-law gave me his almost unused food processor back in the 80s. I told him I didn't need it but he insisted. Soon found out why! Another time consuming difficult to clean gadget taking up space I didn't have to spare. It had to go - and it did.

However, still using the blender/grinder I bought against my husband's wishes in the 1970s. He told me I would never use it. I don't use it often, but when I do I wouldn't be without it.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire
18-Oct-2020 21:57 Message #4795515
A deep fat fryer. Bought it about 15 years ago and forgot ll about it till recently. I have searched high & low for it. Its still boxed and I remember having it when I moved in here about 14 years ago, so it must be in one of the boxes ready for our imminent move.

Also a floor polisher - its so heavy, it makes my back and arms ache.

An iron which has its own 'station' - so blddy big - where to keep it is the problem.

The bread maker - why does the paddle pull a lump of bread out of the middle of the loaf when its baked.

A Halogen cooker - another clumsy great thing - unused - I sold it on EB

My most used electrical kitchen agdgets are my Blender and the Food processor - used constantly. I love them.
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
19-Oct-2020 08:25 Message #4795525
I've had quite a collection of fitness equipment. Cross trainer, treadmill, exercise bike and numerous weights, gloves and punchbag which after an enthusiastic start end up with cobwebs on them. At least they are easy to get rid of as everyone seems to want them. Have sold some online and others given away on Freecycle,
Female
19-Oct-2020 20:15 Message #4795590
LOL, png
I should be using my rowing machine but I fell off my bike whilst delivering my friend's birthday card 4 weeks ago and broke a rib. It has only just stopped crunching so pulling on the oars seemed a bad idea, but now have retired it will be useful during the winter.

Help with conversations