Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Planets and the Universe.

Male
CircusMaximus  Male  North Yorkshire
12-Oct-2020 09:03 Message #4794898
Are you interested in astronomy?
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire
12-Oct-2020 11:48 Message #4794916
before girls caught my eye....
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire
12-Oct-2020 12:15 Message #4794923
Yes. Apparently Mars is in alignment with the earth this month which makes it appear larger and brighter than usual?
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
12-Oct-2020 13:38 Message #4794931
We need to be informed when certain planets appear and where they will be so we don't miss them. I have been to a couple of planetariums and find them fascinating.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire
12-Oct-2020 16:36 Message #4794945
png,

as has been said, mars is rising in the east, and i think jupiter is still around in the southern sky.
as for venus....you cant miss that when its visible.
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
12-Oct-2020 17:03 Message #4794947
When I was on the ships....we used to use he stars for Navigation.....

Star sights were taken at twilight.......Five different stars if possible.....Some you would know the constellation.....But mainly an Almanac would inform you which stars you would be able to see..

Using a sextant.....and then various maths calculations......we would get a position line for each star......Where these position lines crossed.....that would be your position.....

Taking five would enable you to get a more accurate position.....Very rare would all five cross exactly as sometime the visibilty wasn't as good.....

We did the same in the day with the sun.....in the morning about 9am if possible.....then a noon sighting......Noon was when the sun was at it's highest.....not necessarily 12:00......We calculated when noon was going to be...and adjusted clocks accordingly.....usually save it up for a few days....and then adjust a full hour......instead of a little bit each day....

Oh the memories.....
Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex
12-Oct-2020 20:01 Message #4794965
55 Cancri e is an extrasolar (outside the solar system) planet, 40 light years from Earth. It is 9 times as massive as Earth and possibly one third of it is Carbon, much of it in the form of diamonds.
But if we managed to bring the diamonds back to Earth, the huge supply would make them nearly worthless.

(A light-year is the distance light travels in a year, which is approx. 9,460,000,000,000,000 km or 5,880,000,000,000,000 miles.)

Hat-P-7b is an extrasolar planet, about 1,000 light-years from Earth. It is thought to rain aluminium oxide (corundum). So instead of raining cats and dogs, maybe it rains sapphires and rubies.

Search Google for asteroid cream-filled chocolate egg and you'll find a number of articles about asteroid 101955 Bennu, which has average diameter nearly 500 metres. Nasa's OSIRIS-Rex spacecraft is orbiting it and may bring samples to Earth in 2023. Yum yum. Bennu is classified as a "near-Earth object" and a "potentially hazardous object" which might hit the Earth in about 50 years time. That would make a messy Easter egg.
(Incidentally, "Bennu" is named after the ancient Egyptian deity often shown as a heron-like bird, associated with the sun, and creation and rebirth, from which the phoenix legend might have been derived about 450BC. The word "Easter" is derived from Eostre, the Anglo-Saxon goddess of spring and fertility.)
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon
12-Oct-2020 21:29 Message #4794972
The days before it was five satellites working it out tumbled.
Female
Madness102  Female  South Yorkshire
12-Oct-2020 23:50 Message #4794981
Yes.
Male
Kimjongun  Male  South Yorkshire
13-Oct-2020 00:04 Message #4794984
Mars is really bright at the moment.
I like comets, but long time, no bright comet.
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire
13-Oct-2020 17:43 Message #4795055
I have been interested in Astronomy since I was a child, looked up and saw the Milky Way and shooting stars. I was a member of an Astronomical Society run by enthusiasts at the place where I worked and in more recent years attended another such society as a guest. One of my ex bosses became Vice-president of the British Interplanetary Society (Google Dr David G Fearn). I was his research assistant in the early 1970s.

Sadly my eyes are bad and the light pollution here these days is appalling so I rarely see a star, let alone the glory of the Milky Way.
Male
13-Oct-2020 18:06 Message #4795056
Yes Nosaint........Satellites do it all nowadays I would think......

Having lost touch with it all.....I'm not sure if sextants are used anymore........I expect they are at times.....I'll look it up...

It would be interesting to see all the other things that have changed since the 70's.......Some things stay the same.....

I expect a lot of the International rules and regulations still apply........They were referred to as 'Rules of the Road'......and involved all sorts.......Altering course rules to avoid collision etc....
Male
13-Oct-2020 18:41 Message #4795059
You might not be allowed to call it a sextant in these PC days tumbled lol.

I'm sure ships would still carry them in case of an electronic navigation failure.

I have a couple of sextants as ornaments at home along with armillary spheres, compasses, hurricane lamps and a few shiny brass things. I like the old ship's equipment.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
13-Oct-2020 22:58 Message #4795088
Do you open the door to visitors or pipe them on board LOLOL.

Male
14-Oct-2020 08:59 Message #4795103
Good one png......The PC brigade...

There were some interesting sextants around.....Different types....

Some of the older ones I used ended up in museums.....

I liked to use the newer ones.....Newer as in 1970's......al mod cons and all that...

There are some interesting things to be found on ships.....I didn't collect any memorabilia at the time....

All the ships I sailed on are long gone now....Mainly scrapped......The Tate and Lyle fleet and also Manchester Liners.....One of the Tate and Lyle ones sank quite a few years after it left Tate and Lyle.....

It even has it's own wiki page.......MV Sugar Transporter.....There's not much on the page...but I suppose because it's a shipwreck it gets publicity.......I should go diving and see if I can salvage some of it.....I may find some of my old stuff...although I wasn't on it at the time it sank.....

Sorry thread owner...I'm going off course a bit.......Astronomy...
Male
14-Oct-2020 10:30 Message #4795111
HoW. The best fun is when it's time for guests to leave ... and they have to walk the plank lol.

tumbled. Ships and shipping is a very interesting subject with interesting history. Recently visited the Cutty Sark ... again.

Greenwich is a very interesting place in so many ways including astronomy. I found a site selling photos taken by telescope which I liked a lot but a bit expensive. galaxyonglass. com.
Male
The_38th_Parallel  Male  Essex
14-Oct-2020 11:44 Message #4795122
This morning (very early doors) I looked out and the sky was so clear.
In the east there was a brilliant view of the crescent moon with Venus shining brightly to the right of it.
Also over the next few weeks there's a great opportunity to catch the mysterious zodiacal light – aka the false dawn – of autumn.
The moon is out of the morning sky for the next two weeks, leaving the sky dark. Watch for the zodiacal light in the east – over the sunrise point on the horizon – an hour or so before true dawn begins to light the sky.
Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex
14-Oct-2020 19:49 Message #4795150
It's raining "cats and dogs" might come from the Greek "cata doxa", meaning "contrary to experience or belief".

Also contrary to experience or belief, a week ago, the Live Science website published including "There's too much gold in the universe. No one knows where it came from. Something is raining gold across the universe. But no one knows what it is." Neutron stars plus magneto-rotational supernovas don't explain the large amount of gold raining.

It gives a much more pleasant meaning to "golden showers" than "It's raining men"!
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire
15-Oct-2020 22:43 Message #4795272
Maybe somewhere in the universe there is a giant Goose flying around which, instead of laying golden eggs is gently shitting gold dust, occasonally resting for a while on the head of the great A'Tuin.
Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex
17-Oct-2020 22:39 Message #4795412
I had to look up A'Tuin, and saw that Wikipedia about Terry Pratchett's Discworld includes "It consists of a large disc (complete with edge-of-the-world drop-off and consequent waterfall) resting on the backs of four huge elephants which are in turn standing on the back of an enormous turtle, named Great A'Tuin".

That reminds me of thread "The weight of the earth a question for you brainy types" http://www.midsummerseve.com/fora/thread.aspx?threadid=192014&page=3 on 17-Jun-19 at 22:13.

In February 2018 a YouGov poll asked 8,215 adults in USA "Do you believe that the world is round or flat?" Its answers were:-
84% "I have always believed the world is round"
5% "I have always thought the world is round, but more recently I am skeptical/have doubts"
2% "I always thought the world is flat, but more recently I am skeptical/have doubts"
2% "I have always believed the world is flat"
7% "Other/Not sure"
For 18-24 year olds, the percentages were 66%, 9%, 5%, 4%, 16%.
For people who consider themselves to be "very religious", 52% believe that the Earth is flat. (I won't go here into religious texts.)

Sometimes I watch YouTube videos by people who believe that the Earth is in the shape of a disk, and debunkers disproving their arguments. I think that skepticism is good, but that the huge number of USA adults ignoring evidence is terrible.

The Gershwin Brothers' 1937 song "They all laughed at Christopher Columbus when he said the world was round" is wrong. In 1498 he wrote "I found it (the world) was not round . . . but pear shaped, round where it has a nipple, for there it is taller, or as if one had a round ball and, on one side, it should be like a woman’s breast, and this nipple part is the highest and closest to Heaven." He never set foot in America.
It was found about the 5th century BC that the Earth was roughly spherical, and possibly the majority of educated people accepted that for many hundreds of years before Columbus.
Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex
20-Oct-2020 22:34 new  Message #4795663
I have just watched QI XL on Quests, (on satellite TV channel Dave, from 15-Dec-19).

It reminds us that the planets were Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto. That can be remembered by initial letters of "My very easy method just speeds up naming planets".

It also mentioned that Pluto isn't a planet. In 2006 the International Astronomical Union controversially enhanced the definition of a planet, to (a) orbit the sun, (b) be spherical, and (c) "clear the neighbourhood" (i.e. its gravity must remove asteroids etc. from its path). Pluto satisfies (a) and (b) but not (c), and it is now called a "dwarf planet". I think that's a silly classification name. Its 1st word is OK because it's smaller than Earth's moon, but the 2nd word being "planet" suggests wrongly that it satisfies the definition of a planet.

QI asked what is the closest planet to Earth. The answer was not Venus or Mars. It was Mercury, because defining the distance between 2 planets as the average distance between all points of their orbits, bearing in mind that pairs of planets spend much of their time on opposite sides of the solar system, Mercury averages as the closest planet to Earth. Moreover Mercury averages as the closest planet to every other planet!

Help with conversations