Conversation Arts and Entertainment
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Favourite magicians.

Who do you like?

Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex
9-Oct-2020 21:20 Message #4794627
Every evening and morning I watch YouTube videos showing magic tricks.

Paul Daniels always used to amaze me. But nowadays, Jillette Penn and Raymond Teller are possibly the best and most versatile magicians in the world. In Penn & Teller "Fool Us" shows, someone performs magic tricks, then Penn Jillette tells everyone how he and Teller think that the tricks were done, using coded hints that most people (including me) don't understand. People who fool them can later appear in their Las Vegas show.

My favourite close-up magician (from various shows) is Shin Lim. If I didn't know that magic is trickery, I would honestly believe that he could do real magic.

Which magicians do you like?
Male
Pboro Trevor  Male  Cambridgeshire
10-Oct-2020 08:38 Message #4794672
Dynamo

Trevor
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
10-Oct-2020 08:48 Message #4794675
I watch quite a lot of Penn and Teller Fool Us clips.....with Alyson Hannigan ( ....this one time......at band camp )...

First couple of series had Jonathan Ross....

Very clever stuff......and Teller is hilarious......as well as being a brilliant magician.....

I saw an interview with him talking.......he has a good voice......Some people don't expect that.......
Male
Orson  Male  Tayside
11-Oct-2020 21:01 Message #4794865
Ali Bongo
Female
Madness102  Female  South Yorkshire
13-Oct-2020 04:51 Message #4794988
Tommy Cooper !
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
13-Oct-2020 07:54 Message #4794996
Just like that!
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
13-Oct-2020 08:06 Message #4794997
I quite like Dynamo. I can't remember his real name. I don't like many magicians ... a bit too showy which detracts from the important stuff.
Male
13-Oct-2020 09:34 Message #4795006
David Nixon.......I had a David Nixon magic set........It was brilliant......so......

Me........using my David Nixon magic set......
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
13-Oct-2020 23:03 Message #4795091
My favourite magician ...... the guy from mse ...... very good and witty .....

Reminded me of Richard Nixon .... or David Nixon ...... tumbled was his name .....
Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex
14-Oct-2020 20:31 Message #4795153
I loved David Nixon - he always seemed very charming on TV and radio. (Radio 4 Extra occasionally broadcasts episodes of "Many A Slip" with David and others spotting mistakes.)

Generally I don't appreciate magic that relies on camera tricks. (Except when David Nixon had a tiny fairy who did a little ballet if I remember right - not to be confused with David Nixon ballet choreographer!)

Many magic and illusion tricks that seem to risk life or part of the body aren't what they seem. But I dislike it when magicians and illusionists genuinely risk losing the life or part of their body for entertainment. It would be terrible for the performer and the audience if it went wrong.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire
14-Oct-2020 20:33 Message #4795156
I loved watching my dad watching Tommy Cooper. If anyone was going to die laughing it would be then.
Female
Madness102  Female  South Yorkshire
15-Oct-2020 00:28 Message #4795173
Yes Lyn, he was incredibly funny - but actually a very good magician too
Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex
20-Oct-2020 20:50 new  Message #4795657
Not really going back in time, but a few nights ago I saw a magic trick by Sean Heydon in YouTube "Magician Turned Back Time! on Britain's Got Talent 2020 | Magicians Got Talent". It claimed to show that the mobile phones of the whole of the audience go backwards in time.

Spoiler alert:-
I thought that there must be some signal in the studio that overrode the signal to everyone's mobile phone. After watching it a few times I saw that only Sean's mobile phone showed time going backwards from 17:46 to 17:37, then the judges' and audience's phones showed 17:37. So I suspect that the time was really 17:37, and Sean's phone had software or a video that, on his secret command, could add a number of minutes to the real time and then go back to the real time. Surely someone in the audience had a watch that they could check the time? If their phones really showed an earlier time, wouldn't some people have noticed when they went forwards to the actual time?

I also watch some videos on how some tricks are done, and have seen Sean's card trick explained.

About 2011 David Copperfield did a famous trick turning back time. The method of sawing someone in half is not secret, but this version is horrific and superbly done. See YouTube "David Copperfield - Death Saw".

Wikipedia has much of interest about David, including that he took his stage name from Charles Dickens' book, and "Copperfield's television specials have won 21 Emmy Awards and 38 nominations. Best known for his combination of storytelling and illusion, Copperfield's career of over 40 years has earned him 11 Guinness World Records,a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, a knighthood by the French government, and he has been named a Living Legend by the US Library of Congress. As of 2006, Copperfield has sold 33 million tickets and grossed over US$4 billion, more than any other solo entertainer in history. In 2015, Forbes listed his earnings at $63 million for the previous 12 months and ranked him the 20th highest-earning celebrity in the world."
Male
20-Oct-2020 21:10 new  Message #4795658
A lot of the great magicians are so good at performing the tricks......but some of the tricks are very simple tricks.....with expensive props etc...

I think making statues disappear is clever.....but we all know they don't actually disappear......I think the Statue of Liberty one involved something as simple as turning the stage a few degrees......The original stage had the statue in field of view.....then all mystical shenanigans.....whilst the stage turns a few degrees to the right.....and voila....the statue isn't in the field of view anymore.....Everyone is staring in disbelief at the missing statue.......So simple.....but so professional to do properly.....

Help with conversations