Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

A new Labour leader?

1 2 3 4 Next   Last  

Male
CircusMaximus  Male  North Yorkshire
9-Oct-2020 08:26 Message #4794525
If you were choosing a Labour leader today who you believe would be the right man or woman for the job of leading the party to victory and also capable of being Prime Minister who would you choose?
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
9-Oct-2020 08:27 Message #4794527
corbyn
Male
9-Oct-2020 08:29 Message #4794528
blair
Male
9-Oct-2020 08:29 Message #4794529
Thatch
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia
9-Oct-2020 08:30 Message #4794530
Given I never want to see Labour anywhere near number 10, I will say Dianne Abbott or Maglorian....
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon
9-Oct-2020 08:30 Message #4794531
I hope this is an interesting thread because I would very much like to know who those on the left would choose.

Or would they keep Starmer?
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
9-Oct-2020 09:01 Message #4794533
If the party got behind him I think Starmer is very capable of leading the party to victory. He doesn't come across as an obvious politician but he does appear as honest and serious which must be more important.
I understand that those like Michael who remember and crave for the 60s or 70s to return but realistically the country has changed and the majority do not want that.
Male
Pboro Trevor  Male  Cambridgeshire
9-Oct-2020 09:20 Message #4794538
An honest politician??? That a contradiction in terms.

Currently there does not appear to be anyone even remotely capable of leading the Labour party anywhere

Trevor
Male
Colonel_Blink  Male  Buckinghamshire
9-Oct-2020 09:21 Message #4794539
The far left obviously want a more left leaning leader but apart from a rather tedious "get
Corbyn back" I cant see anyone being very imaginative.
Male
9-Oct-2020 09:23 Message #4794540
Michael is extremely limited in his politics.....Repeating the same old sh.. over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.....again

I might have missed an 'over' or two......

He would make a good bad labour politician.......
Male
9-Oct-2020 09:34 Message #4794542
Well unsurprisingly labour are split and the hard left Corbyn lovers just cannot accept he's been replaced.
There are constant rumblings about trying to unseat Starmer and it's only due to the fact the media are obsessed with the virus that these rumblings aren't really in the spotlight.
If the country ever moves on from covid and politics returns to something more normal, then Labour's divisions will flare up.
I don't believe a better leader than Starmer exists, I think he's as wet as a haddock's wet bits, but he's their best chance of winning....
Male
Michaelt  Male  Devon
9-Oct-2020 09:37 Message #4794543
CircusMaximus, Frankly I honestly dont believe the British people deserve decent politicians. The Tories have been in government since 1979 and the late Margaret Thatcher. When they were booted out of office by Blair's New Labour Government in 1997 for 13 years, Tony Blair continued Thatcher's free market. So effectively the Tories have been in government for the best part of 25 years. We need to build and invest into our selves and not continue to be a market driven economy.

Jeremy Corbyn was ousted by the North in favour of continued Tory austerity and privatisations now effecting the NHS.

If Keir Starmer can reverse this Ne-Liberalism, so be it, but im convinced he's another right winger.

Rebecca Long Baily would be my choice.
Male
Michaelt  Male  Devon
9-Oct-2020 09:38 Message #4794544
personanongrata , The 60's and 70's were the best years in this country. The 80's saw Thatcher and she was our downfall.
Male
Michaelt  Male  Devon
9-Oct-2020 09:39 Message #4794545
NoSaint , I thought you were on the left ?

Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire
9-Oct-2020 09:44 Message #4794546
I'd choose to stick with Starmer.

Labour might hang themselves with factions from the disappointment of those more to the left.

I have this scale in my head. It's very subjective and people I see on it might move over time, but for now, if 1 is extreme right and 10 is extreme left then Jacob Rees Mogg I would place at 2 because that other guy from the National party would be at 1.

I don't think we have anyone extreme left if you place communism and a dead person like Marx at no 10, but since McDonnell used to follow, maybe I'd place him at 9 and Corbyn at 8. But I don't see 8 & 9 as socially unacceptable at 2 & 3.

So maybe right now I see Starmer about 6-7
Blair (hence why some of us don't see him as Labour) I would place at 4-5.

I am not sure about others to be leader. There are a lot I like but not leader material but I think Starmer has the cool and subtleness that might change the level headed to move away from those who loaned Johnson their vote because either they were mislead about Corbyn or voted for Brexit.

Now he is back, I quite like the guy who lost last time, before Corbyn. You'll know who I mean as his brother works for International Rescue...funny when your memory goes and I can remember he was mocked over how he ate a bacon sandwich.

I'd like a leader who is tolerant of different views and inclusive of those views.

The main thing that a leader needs is insight to people's struggles and actually caring to find out what isn't working and as vociferous she was against Corbyn, Yvette Cooper thought she has gone off scene after having her fingers burned a couple of times, and maybe Lucy Powell, a Manchester MP but both of those are 6 on my scale.

So I am hardly extreme left in anyone's sense, but the main thing in any leader is to know from bottom up how lives are effected by policies they introduce and Corbyn was, and still is, one of the rare ones who might have been born into money, but spends a lot of time enlightening himself about those who are victims of the system.
Male
Michaelt  Male  Devon
9-Oct-2020 09:44 Message #4794547
personanongrata, The Unions were fighting for the workers who due to massive inflation at that time, could not live on their wages. The Winter of discontent was a time when the British people should have united together in support of the strikers, but instead they got behind Thatcher and now we have food banks and misery for millions as the Tories continue shrinking the State as an objective, and privatise the NHS bit by bit.
Male
9-Oct-2020 09:48 Message #4794548
Steve Miller Band
Female
9-Oct-2020 09:50 Message #4794549
From History/Food Poverty UK website

The Trussell Trust was established in 2000; in 2004 they only ran two food banks but as of August 2012 a massive 252 were being operated.

Says a lot really.
Male
SQL  Male  Devon
9-Oct-2020 09:59 Message #4794550
Michaelt - 9-Oct-2020 09:38

The 60's and 70's were the best years in this country. The 80's saw Thatcher and she was our downfall.

That statement says so much about a very blinkered viewpoint. The unions killed the british car industry even faster than the accountants. France, Germany, Italy and other countries adapted and improved their industries and their industrial relations. The British unions just wanted to kill any individuality and force extreme left-wing methods on the workforce (Communism).

I know Micky will say I know nothing about politics, actually I and many on here know far more than he does but he cannot accept that anything apart from far left ideology is realistic, valid or acceptable.

SQL
Male
SQL  Male  Devon
9-Oct-2020 10:03 Message #4794551
In my opinion Starmer is a match for Johnson. He does not have the presence of Johnson but he does have the clinical approach that will continually undermine the bluster of Johnson when factual details are under scrutiny.

Starmer may be more centre-left than Corbyn (not difficult), however I think the UK electorate will migrate more in that direction than the more right-wing approach of Cummings & Johnson.

SQL
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire
9-Oct-2020 10:37 Message #4794557
I reckon they should pick me, I'd make Putin and that Chinese gaffer and all the dictator types look like pussycats, the bankers and business managers would soon get their backsides in gear as to what the purpose of society is. The trump types of this world and all the lords and ladies would soon realise what cleaning the sewers can be like.
Male
9-Oct-2020 10:47 Message #4794558
Ahh terry, you're just nicking Corbyn's ideas.
I never saw you as part of the Islington set, all faded and moth-eaten clothes with a fortune stashed in the bank....
Female
9-Oct-2020 10:55 Message #4794564
Oh Hierophant,

You have struck on the note on why I am so passionate about Corbyn. I just love conservatism (with a small c), where people can achieve actually being well off but without flaunting it. As long as it is under a million or two.

So you see, Labour is not actually being against economical gain, that is only the bitter attempts of those who try to make it appear so.

The two guys who became really good friends I met on dating sites were both really well off, but I loved it that they didn't need a new car, but both drove old bangers to the conference rooms and bore on shame on that.

I just love it that men, and women too, can wear moth eaten, yet be powerful within their own selves to not promote front to look the part.

...as long as they look after their teeth...but then I wasn't kissing them.
Female
9-Oct-2020 10:58 Message #4794565
Thanx tumbled, but you reminded me it's Ed Miliband.
I think he presents himself better of late, though I don't mean materially.
Male
Michaelt  Male  Devon
9-Oct-2020 11:03 Message #4794567
JustLyn, The number of people receiving “three days' worth of emergency food by Trussell Trust foodbanks in the United Kingdom (UK) from 2008/09 to 2019/20, rose from 25, 889, to 2, 000, 000.

Says more than a lot, really!

1 2 3 4 Next   Last  

Help with conversations