Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Would you buy

used underwear?

1 2 Next   Last  

Male
Kimjongun  Male  South Yorkshire
7-Oct-2020 23:05 Message #4794409
Would anyone buy used underwear?
Lady try to sell them on dating site.
I wonder who buy them?
Female
Madness102  Female  South Yorkshire
7-Oct-2020 23:54 Message #4794412
Some might get a kick out of it - but no, not for me !!
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
8-Oct-2020 05:32 Message #4794416
If you buy Queen Victoria's old bloomers....you get more value for your money.......
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
8-Oct-2020 08:09 Message #4794429
A lot of people buy and wear used underwear. It's not unusual.
Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region
8-Oct-2020 08:39 Message #4794438
I'd never buy used underwear to wear myself no....

I do know lots of people do buy used underwear to sniff or what every they do with them.

I could probably be tempted into buying, for example Kate Middletons used knickers, more for the novelty of saying "I've got a pair of her used knickers in the house" It wouldn't be a novelty, obviously if she sold every pair of pants she wore.

It just goes to show how easy women can make money, and how easily men can be parted with theirs. Unless I'm missing the market for women buying used mens boxers, in which case someone please tell me.... I've a full washing basket up stairs, and I wouldn't want to devalue them by washing them!
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia
8-Oct-2020 08:46 Message #4794440
Ahh but Dim are they washed or unwashed?
If they're washed then I would suggest it's no different to people buying clothes or particularly shoes from a charity shop (yuck!)
Anyway, in these covid times they could be highly infectious - just remember to wear your mask, face shield, gloves and bombproof suit when opening the parcel from "Brenda" or maybe "Bernard" (depending on your predilection )...
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
8-Oct-2020 09:06 Message #4794441
I looked at the OP and guessed a lot of men would associate used underwear with sexual connotations and wondered if it was natural for women to think the same way!

Charity shops do sell used underwear but there are numerous charities which collect any clothing for those who are in need. I don't see any reason why used clothing which has been cleaned and ironed shouldn't be reworn and surely this is better than throwing it away.
Female
leogirl  Female  Essex
8-Oct-2020 17:34 Message #4794485
never! I am not that destitute .
Leogirl.
Female
LadyVera  Female  Cumbria
8-Oct-2020 18:03 Message #4794488
I've never had to buy secondhand clothes but if I did have to I would do so without any concerns.
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon
9-Oct-2020 07:25 Message #4794505
I can't imagine any woman drooling excitedly over a grubby pair of Y-fronts in the way many men seem to do over a pair of woman's knickers.
Male
9-Oct-2020 07:36 Message #4794511
Yeah, us men have always had crappy, boring clothes to wear.
I'm surprised we don't have to make do with sackcloth pants, although I'm pleased we now seem to be allowed to wear things other than 1960's Y-fronts...
Male
Kimjongun  Male  South Yorkshire
9-Oct-2020 07:47 Message #4794513
No Saint.
No need Y fronts.
Honest Bob sell you boxer shorts!
Male
9-Oct-2020 10:15 Message #4794552
"I can't imagine any woman drooling excitedly over a grubby pair of Y-fronts in the way many men seem to do over a pair of woman's knickers."

I think it depends who has worn them! If it was any of the Hollywood hunks..... Eh..... Chris Helmsworth or Magic Mike for example, I can see many women being very happy to have them.

But yes, in essence you are right. The fellas with the knickers interests would happily have, or even pay for knickers from any half way decent woman, the mid 30's, size 16 woman who sits at the checkouts all day at Asda, they would love her used pants. Women would have absolutely no interest in the under 6ft, 38 year old, building site labourer.... who makes under £25k... Not chance.

In many ways, women should be praising god every day for all these men who have, shall we say, obscure interests.
Male
9-Oct-2020 10:16 Message #4794553
"Honest Bob sell you boxer shorts!"

Done a washing yesterday.... all that money gone!

Male
9-Oct-2020 10:23 Message #4794554
"Yeah, us men have always had crappy, boring clothes to wear."

Yes, Thank god! Look at these events like the Oscars or Baftas or what ever.... The men, a smart suit, white shirt, and a tie. The women.... one went with what appeared to be a dead swan wrapped round her!
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
9-Oct-2020 10:52 Message #4794562
I haven't worn boring underwear since my schooldays. Admittedly not frilly or decorated and seldom a vivacious colour but neat and fashionable and definitely not boring ...
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire
9-Oct-2020 16:52 Message #4794601
I suspect a good add on question would be, 'would anyone admit to buying used underwear? :-)
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
10-Oct-2020 07:41 Message #4794660
If you buy Queen Victoria's old bloomers....you get more value for your money.......

Genuine old pantaloons are a popular choice for fashion conscious wearers.
Male
10-Oct-2020 07:43 Message #4794662
"I suspect a good add on question would be, 'would anyone admit to buying used underwear? :-)"

Buying??!!....
Male
The_38th_Parallel  Male  Essex
10-Oct-2020 09:50 Message #4794686
I expect there are many people out there who don't have the luxury of having the chance to have a supply of dry, clean and/or freshly laundered clothes to put on every day.
They may not be privileged enough to even have a roof of their own to sleep under and I'm sure the chance to wear clothes that are dry and washed would be way higher up on their list than worrying themselves about whether they're secondhand.
Male
10-Oct-2020 09:52 Message #4794687
Lol have you been in the average charity shop lately, it's like walking into the Oxford Street branch of M & S.
Somehow the charity bit seems to have been pushed way down the list....
Male
10-Oct-2020 10:18 Message #4794689
"I expect there are many people out there who don't have the luxury of having the chance to have a supply of dry, clean and/or freshly laundered clothes to put on every day.
They may not be privileged enough to even have a roof of their own to sleep under and I'm sure the chance to wear clothes that are dry and washed would be way higher up on their list than worrying themselves about whether they're secondhand."

Very true indeed Drongo!

Its comments like that, that really do make me think, how privileged we really are. The people you mention in your post, I assume could be in such a position through no fault of their own.

I'm not judging people who do buy second hand pants, I'm just stating that I don't do it. I don't donate my used underwear to charity, as I usually get maximum usage out of them. I just put a pair in the bin yesterday funny enough... putting them on and noticed a large hole in them. My first thoughts were "If all boxers had hole like this, you wouldn't need to take them down for a shit!" then I put them in the bin.

I think this year, all the boxers and socks I get for Xmas, I'll take them to a charity shop, rather than giving them to my Dad.
Female
usuallyLaura  Female  Devon
10-Oct-2020 18:48 Message #4794719
Bob

rather than donating them to a charity shop for resale, it may be better if given directly to a food bank or homeless shelter or the Salvation Army.

food banks are often grateful for items of clothing, as all sorts of people use food banks i.e. families fleeing domestic violence.

I have seen in charity shops, children's underwear and ladies bras for sale, I have never been in a position that I have had to buy a babies vest etc. from a charity shop, esp with so much clothing being sold cheaply these days in supermarkets/markets and primark etc.
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire
11-Oct-2020 11:58 Message #4794790
I liked your post usuallyLaura. Some years ago now but very clear in my mind how I went from being a housewife with two babies in a nice home to a single parent who was homeless with no money and still having to look after two babies.
I knew the authorities would not let us starve so I was grateful to be living in the uk. I had to jump through the usual hoops just to survive but that's fine and I didn't mind that. I received help in benefits and was immediately in temporary housing so no complaints about how I was looked after but it was the charities which added that little bit extra and made life worthwhile.
For years all the clothes I bought for myself and my children came from free charities or charity shops. Everything we had was second hand. Using a food bank occasionally saved spending on food which meant we could eat a bit better or had enough money for other necessities,
I loved the charities, charity shops and food banks and all the genuine lovely people who went out of their way to help us including government, local authorities and individuals. Life can be hard but it is a lot better with help and charities provide additional help that no authority could ever compare with. They provide their own community which gels with the users in a way you cannot gel with authorities.
There is no shame in having no money. I have never felt ashamed or embarrassed and I hope I have bought my children up to feel the same.
Female
Greencare  Female  Berkshire
11-Oct-2020 17:04 Message #4794820
What a brilliant post Raach. Those who actually experience things are so much more interesting.

1 2 Next   Last  

Help with conversations