Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Washing up by hand?

1 2 Next   Last  

Male
CircusMaximus  Male  North Yorkshire
7-Oct-2020 22:47 Message #4794406
I had a friend round for a bite to eat today. When she saw the washing up in the sink she queried why I hadn't used a dishwasher.
Do you use a dishwasher? Washing machine? Tumble dryer? Or do you manage the old fashioned way.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire
7-Oct-2020 23:00 Message #4794407
wouldnt a washing m/c smash the crockery ?

;¬)
Female
Madness102  Female  South Yorkshire
7-Oct-2020 23:55 Message #4794413
Nice one Fosy ;-)

I have a very good dish-washer - they are at the end of my arms !!
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
8-Oct-2020 03:59 Message #4794414
Ah......The good old family invention......The Tumble Dryer......

The memories......Many a happy time.....going round and round and round......very fast.....
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire
8-Oct-2020 05:57 Message #4794417
My dishwasher left home more than 20 years ago.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire
8-Oct-2020 06:37 Message #4794419
There's always one has to remind us isn't there!, damn, I'll have to boil the kettle now and get the clothes off the airers and chair backs
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia
8-Oct-2020 07:17 Message #4794422
Yes I live on my own and yet I have all three appliances, I know that's a cardinal sin in MSE land and I should be using a washing dolly and mangle, but there you go....
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
8-Oct-2020 08:11 Message #4794430
The old ways are best.
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
8-Oct-2020 09:07 Message #4794442
Much as I tingle at the thought of an exotic pair of marigolds I have resisted the temptation of indulging my fantasies and use a dishwasher.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia
8-Oct-2020 10:35 Message #4794446
Don't forget folks, Monday is wash day and starch those collars real good.... lol
Male
Colonel_Blink  Male  Buckinghamshire
8-Oct-2020 10:47 Message #4794448
Starch!
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire
8-Oct-2020 10:47 Message #4794449
I didn't want a dishwasher but my sister sad hers was more important than the washing machine. I wouldn't agree with that, but I delved in the owning a dishwasher when I had three little kids, was working, and doing a degree. I can see what my sister means, but since two other adults live in my house and both still think they are teenagers at time, having a dishwasher is at least, something I can delegate to my son who is in the house 100% of the time.

Having the dishwasher is somewhere to store the amount of dirty pots that would otherwise stack up, it's full size, and full every time it is set of once, and sometimes twice a day.

It's also great at keeping everything spanking clean, and is even useful for cleaning other items you can throw in like cleaning brushes, the dish cloth, the small bin. It did a great job on some plant pot holders, glass light fittings.

In fact I just looked up what other people find a dishwasher useful for:

WHAT ELSE CAN YOU WASH IN A DISHWASHER?– (BESIDES DISHES!)

1 – GLASS LIGHT FITTINGS
2 – KIDS TOYS (PLASTIC)
3 – HAIR BRUSHES & COMBS (ALL PLASTIC)
4 – CLEANING SPONGES & BRUSHES
5 – BATHROOM SPONGES
6 – FRIDGE SHELVES
7 – COOKER FAN FILTERS
8 – MICROWAVE TURNTABLE
9 – VASES
10 – TOOTHBRUSH POTS
11 – SOAP DISHES
12 – SHOWER CADDYS
13 – BATH TOYS
14 – PET TOYS
15 – INDOOR PLANT POTS
16 – VACUUM CLEANER ATTACHMENTS
17 – UTENSIL HOLDERS
18 – SINK DRAINER
20 – CERTAIN ORNAMENTS
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey
8-Oct-2020 10:55 Message #4794452
Also makes a lovely job of cleaning all the nooks and crannies on SU carbs - once off the car for eg a rebuild....
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
8-Oct-2020 11:04 Message #4794455
I have a dish washer, its Mummyhen, seriously though without a serious rejig of the kitchen we don't have room for a dishwasher. I have lived in a house with one before, it was great when we had people round for dinner, but for everyday washing up for me its not worth it especially when you have to clean the stuff before it goes in the dish washer or get baked on gravy and stuff. My other problem with dishwashers is the people who use them, or some of the people anyway, those who don't check that the stuff already in it isn't clean and take it out before putting dirty stuff in which drips all over the clean stuff.

I do have a washing machine and tumble dryer, I live in Wales how would I cope with no tumble dryer? I would not want to live without a washing machine, I've spent to many hours doing laundry by hand and having it dripping about the place. Also with my sensitive skin using a launderette can be a problem as residue from the previous persons laundry product remains in the machine and then makes me itch, sometimes even going into a laundrette takes my breath away from the smell of all the perfumes in laundry products, I even avoid that aisle in the supermarket. I don't see whats so holy about doing all your laundry and washing up by hand, or hoovering or anything else, sometimes people forget why we had an industrial revolution in the first place.

Female
Sea  Female  Essex
8-Oct-2020 11:38 Message #4794465
I wash somethings by hand and others in the dishwasher. Usually goes on once every five days or so. Better to wash some dishes immediately, such as my breakfast cerial bowl that I have yogurt, fresh fruit and oats in for example. I finds a quick rinse under the tap and all comes off, whereas if left, will all dry hard and more difficiult to clean, even in the dishwasher. It is more when I have dirty/greasy pots and pans and things and leaves the kitchen sink to look tidy rather than piled up that I use dishwasher. Never used a tumble drier as prefer to put things out on the line, or on radiators if not.
Male
brisinger-the-beekeeper  Male  Lancashire
8-Oct-2020 11:46 Message #4794466
I tend to rinse immediately so you don't get those rock hard bits stuck on and then stack it in the dishwasher until it's full. After all it works purely off my solar panels if I put it on at the right time of day so why make life difficult?
Male
The_38th_Parallel  Male  Essex
8-Oct-2020 13:03 Message #4794470
Manual here. But then I haven't got a space for a d/w in my kitchen even if I wanted one, which I don't, but wouldn't have one even if there was a space.
I see no need to wash up plates and mugs until the washing up bowl is full which I can't see is any different to loading up the dishwasher until it's full which seems to be what people that have them do.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire
8-Oct-2020 16:59 Message #4794479
On the subject of tumble dryers, my son worked out that our old one cost 50p a load and when that failed, a dancing about Beko, I splashed out on a more expensive heat pump Siemens model which costs 20p. per load to run. Big difference, and the latter doesn't use heat so takes longer to dry anything.

I hang my washing on the line when I can, but my children do their own washing and drying. I suppose I could manage without, but it's too much having 3 peoples washing drying inside the house in bad weather.
Female
LadyVera  Female  Cumbria
8-Oct-2020 17:20 Message #4794484
I do the washing up by hand and never allow it to build up as it would frustrate me seeing it piling up in the sink.
Female
8-Oct-2020 19:00 Message #4794494
I hate seeing a sink full of washing up with scummy and rancid water sloshing about the sink.
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside
8-Oct-2020 19:53 Message #4794495
Dishwasher for me, simples
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon
9-Oct-2020 07:26 Message #4794506
If you lead a busy life then labour saving devices are very useful.
Female
9-Oct-2020 10:49 Message #4794561
If you didn't have labour saving devices then you'd be busy doing all the things they save you from doing!
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
9-Oct-2020 10:53 Message #4794563
Yesssss. That is my excuse lol.
Female
9-Oct-2020 18:59 Message #4794608
Not so lol if you think about the work involved in doing a familes laundry by hand, even laundry for one person in a week is bad enough.

1 2 Next   Last  

Help with conversations