Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

New car

or a used one?

1 2 Next   Last  

Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
6-Oct-2020 19:06 Message #4794291
Should I buy a new car, one thats not been driven? Or an older one thats been used and cared for and is in good condition?

Should I revel in a new car's plush upholstery safe in the knowlege that mine is the first bottom to sit on it, that no one else has touched it steering wheel or handled its gearstick? Or should I trust that an old one has been properly serviced, cleaned and valetted, so that none of its previous owners personal debris remains?

Should I even be thinking about a car in this way?
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey
6-Oct-2020 19:19 Message #4794294
I could say "why not you know your posterior deserves it lol".

I thought you were leaning toward "nearly new" as you save a bundle of cash for a car still under warranty - and within a few months there would be not a great difference in value of either - certainly far less than the major difference in purchase price.

The popular models will of course tend to hold their value better - and I assume you will buy a petrol engine car rather than EV (faff) or diesel where you may be taxed or excluded from major towns/city centres.

The single biggest determinant of car value is age - followed by mileage - and in general the bigger gas guzzlers depreciate far more rapidly than smaller more economical cars. Conversely you get a lot of car for your money if buying an oldish larger car.
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey
6-Oct-2020 19:24 Message #4794296
https://www.thetradecentrewales.co.uk/

This will give you an idea of prices though S Wales is too far to visit I imagine - but many car sales outfits do deliver these days
Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region
6-Oct-2020 19:55 Message #4794297
"Should I buy a new car, one thats not been driven? Or an older one thats been used and cared for and is in good condition?"

Is this an extension of the womens sexual history debate..... LMFAO

In my opinion if you want a new car, I'd go for a newish one, not a brand new one. From what I hear brand new cars have teething problems that require the new car to go back in for minor adjustments, where it won't cost you anything, it is a inconvenience!

A friend of mine recently bought a three year old car, with 20,000 mines on the clock. It cost him £12,000, the car brand new, three years earlier was £21,000.... lot of money lost there by the first owner.

Let someone else take that big depreciation hit, and you swoop in and collect a low mileage, like new car, which probably would have been serviced for free for x amount of years as part of the deal for buying the car.

If you are wildly rich and money is no object, of you are Mr/Mrs Flashy McShiney Show off.... and no offense WH but I suspect you are neither.... go for a new car as the depreciation means nothing to you.
Female
Madness102  Female  South Yorkshire
7-Oct-2020 00:01 Message #4794319
I would like to know what LMFAO means - I've been racking this little brain to suss it out!!

The "never before been touched" car was driven by somebody WH, if only to test that it actually works, so other bums have been before yours !!

I would go for a nearly new. Much better value.
Female
bella111  Female  Devon
7-Oct-2020 00:08 Message #4794320
I have just bought a five year old car Hyundai i10 very smart and low mileage, was not cheap but better than brand new I am pleased with it.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia
7-Oct-2020 07:24 Message #4794326
I know it's not the done thing, especially on here, but I would always buy a new car if I could.
I will be in a similar position early next year and may well go for a brand new car if finances allow.
Especially since it was announced that new car sales are at their lowest for years, I would imagine car dealers will be throwing good deals at you.
I very much doubt yours will be the first arse to sit on the seat but there's nothing like the feeling and smell of a brand new motor...
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
7-Oct-2020 07:35 Message #4794328
I very much doubt yours will be the first arse to sit on the seat but there's nothing like the feeling and smell of a

turns page.....

brand new motor

phew.....
Male
7-Oct-2020 07:55 Message #4794331
"I would like to know what LMFAO means - I've been racking this little brain to suss it out!!"

Laugh My Fecking Arse Off

Its like a extreme version of LOL Laugh out Loud...

PMSL... Pee My Self Laughing... the upgraded version PMSLLF.... Pee My Self Laughing Like Feck.
Male
Pboro Trevor  Male  Cambridgeshire
7-Oct-2020 09:15 Message #4794336
A new car will lose up to half its value in the first year of ownership. You can buy cars under 2 years old at very reasonable prices, that will last, if chosen carefully, a long time

Trevor
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire
7-Oct-2020 09:43 Message #4794338
WH,

From my perspective

1. Choose which car your ideal is.
In my case I would want 6 gears because I like the fuel saving and lower RPM when I did a lot of motorway driving.
I wanted dark back windows so I could privately nap on a 10 hour day, and keep things out of sight such as my folding E-bike.
I really fancied Heated seats setting off to work at 6am.
I like high tech models that connect to my phone easily with bluetooth.
I have learned to prefer built in upgradable sat navs.

So write a list of priorities in the car your ideal would be and which are deal breakers and which aren't that important.

2. Look at building your car on manufacturer web sites, who are local dealers with good reputation for support.
Give your self a fright, that your ideal car is actually £35,000 new!

3. Then, if you are paying monthly, are there any low interest rate deals going.

4. Do any of those brands offer extended warranties such as Kia 7 years.

5. Decide what you are prepared to fork out.
For example. I paid £16,000 for mine that is around £26,000 new.
It was 3.5 years old, and as a Toyota, had 18 months warranty left.

6. Look up some review web sites that compare buyers experiences with certain models and be aware of common faults.

7. Decide if like me, you like a high spec car with a reliable reputation that is used or a new lower spec car.

For example. We have found old Yaris are generally far more reliable but more expensive that other popular cheaper cars of the same age. My partner's Punto needed new shock absorbers at 2 years old, whilst out of 7 x Yaris since 1999 (two at a time) we have only ever needed a coil, then when my old Yaris which my daughter now has, at 150,000 needed a new water pump, but it was 11 years old by then. We still have it.
Female
7-Oct-2020 09:48 Message #4794340
...and LOL,

One essential criteria for my new used car almost 2 years ago was a low back end access estate, so my daughter's increasingly frail collie could jump in, and room for two dogs when "granny" is taking them out.

So do you need space for your dogs as it is now illegal to not have a guard between where the dogs are and the passengers. If involved in an accident you could be in trouble if the dogs are on the back seat.
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex
7-Oct-2020 10:01 Message #4794345
New car or second hand? Personally, the new car, every time.

There is something about being handed the keys, and driving it out of the showroom, it's beautiful, everything about it is just mmmml. It may lose it's value, but are you to sell it again in a hurry, or what is the point of buying it, if you're then going to sell it. My last car was new (one before as well) and it's unique to me, mon personal amgo, no one else has owned it. Have had second hand as well, it just isn't the same.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire
7-Oct-2020 10:01 Message #4794346
Low mileage. Two years old. Main dealer.

Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
7-Oct-2020 10:12 Message #4794351
Different ways of looking at it.......A brand new car.....spread over something like 6 or 8 years......often won't work out any more expensive than alternative used car deals.....

One of the things with cars is that you never know what is going to happen along the way.....You could be lucky....you could be unlucky......A lot of stuff is also wear and tear......Do above average mileage and obviuosly things pack up quicker...
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia
7-Oct-2020 10:19 Message #4794354
Get a shiny new one on PCP, monthly amounts are lower and you can trade it in for another shiny new one in 3 or 4 years time.
You do low mileage I would guess so that makes a difference to the cost.

Get an ex-demo one from a dealer, low mileage, might have had a few stickers on it and lots of people driving it but you can get them cheap.
I bought one many years ago, was about a year old and in great condition...
Female
7-Oct-2020 10:47 Message #4794359
Just because I am contrary, and was involved in getting feedback on used cars for 28 years running an engine tuning business, it turned out low mileage can actually be a bad sign. Not always, but quite often.

The reason my ex realised was how the car had been used.

An elderly person buys a new car to pop to the shops now and again.
The person dies and daughter flogs the car.
2 years old, done 8000 miles running to Tesco and church 2 miles and back, graunching the steering, grinding the gears, bumping up kerbs.

Down the road is another 2 year old car, but that one has done 40,000 miles. It's much cheaper and a nicer spec. Immaculate and looked after. It has done lots of motorway non strenuous work so few gear changes, no bumping up and down kerbs, and a lovely clean engine :-)

This kind of happened to me. I tried looking for a car under 20,000 but they were all tatty, and quite under spec fr what I wanted and could afford.
Then I viewed a 52 Reg (in 2006) Golf GT TDI immaculate. Been a CEO's baby but 85,000 miles.
Gosh it was hard buying a car with that mileage at the time, even though I could see the logic in my ex's explanation, but given the car was a diesel and literally was showroom condition I took the plunge as I could never have afforded such a nice car that year, then, with under 20,000 on the clock.
I kept that car until it had done 150,000 trouble free miles and only changed it then, for the 2009 Yaris (in 2009) because my daughter was disabled and 370 miles away and mum had cancer and in hospital, and running back and forth to work, so I felt I was tempting fate keeping the Golf, which incidentally, I could get to do 70mpg if very careful on a long journey.

It can still be as lovely as picking up a new car to a used and valeted used car, knowing you are getting more for you buck and own it sooner, and not be tied into long ongoing exchanges to keep up the latest models.
It can really nice to have an older but cared for car that looks like new. In fact even nicer than many much newer.
Male
The_38th_Parallel  Male  Essex
7-Oct-2020 11:17 Message #4794362
I really wonder what will be available over the next few years as the number of new cars sold prior to the pandemic was already on a downward trend, during the pandemic it's collapsed and is still not recovering.
There will inevitably be a lot of pre-owned PCP (private contract plans typically 3 or 4 years) cars that will be coming onto the 2nd hand market over the next couple of years as there was a big spike in sales (especially diesels) before new road tax road tax bands came into force in 2017 - 2018 where previous exempt vehicles, which were in lower CO2 Bands and paid no or little road tax, as diesels were given a separate category.
(e.g. a car in band D (121-130g co2) paid £0 at 1st registration then £120 pa but in the new bandings this increased to £165pa (now £215pa) at new onwards but a TC49 diesel, which is not RDE2 (nitrous oxide) compliant was penalised by going up one tax band and that is now £540pa. Yikes!! and
Not forgetting too if the list price of a new car (petrol, diesel, hybrid, ethanol, lpg & electric) was £40k+ an additional tax is payable for the first 5 years (and that is now £325pa).
So definitely a bit research is required on that before deciding on a 2nd hand up to 3 1/2 year old car, especially if it's a cheap diesel that looks good value.
Male
7-Oct-2020 11:55 Message #4794365
"An elderly person buys a new car to pop to the shops now and again.
The person dies and daughter flogs the car.
2 years old, done 8000 miles running to Tesco and church 2 miles and back, graunching the steering, grinding the gears, bumping up kerbs.

Down the road is another 2 year old car, but that one has done 40,000 miles. It's much cheaper and a nicer spec. Immaculate and looked after. It has done lots of motorway non strenuous work so few gear changes, no bumping up and down kerbs, and a lovely clean engine :-)"

I agree with this completely....

My Fz6 when I had it, I'd do about 300+ miles a week with it, 250 going to work and back Monday to Friday, then weekends away with mates on it. Never had a single issue. Job circumstances changed, couldn't use the bike to go to work... so bike only came out every second weekend.... things went wrong, started spluttering.... it was better when being used.

I had an ex police car, Vauxhall Astra estate from Aberdeen, 60-70k when I got it.... full service history, every thing the car needed, it got, and when I got it.... the same, I looked after it until.... think it was 130k, might have been 150k can't remember. Had it for seven years, then gave it to my brother, he ran it for two years! He traded it in.

They have a website, ex police cars, they are based in Manchester I believe.... lots of good cars there. An Insignia 2.8t, a..... think its a 3.6 V6 Skoda Superb.... few Focus/Astra/Mondeo/Insignia estates... few smaller cars too.

Only thing with, well with my astra any way, not saying these ones mentioned above, but my Astra was very low spec! Police don't spec all their cars out very well.

I also appreciate a high spec car.
Female
8-Oct-2020 11:22 Message #4794457
Its getting hard to buy a used car, there are few about due to covid restrictions, but I have seen one I like, its a 6 year old 1.2 skoda fabia, reasonable mileage, boring but reliable. Part of me would love something like another saab, I felt like it was built by vikings for vikings, I loved that car, but it was really expensive to run, the road tax was high and parts hard to come by and expensive and I wouldn't use it to its full advantage. I only drive locally, the furthest I go is about 20 miles away.
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey
8-Oct-2020 12:09 Message #4794468
You have not said what is your new budget - but potentially a brand new family hatchback can cost around £25,000.

The newer/more expensive cars will also cost more to insure - even a tiny own damage claim on your Corsa would mean it is written off and something akin to scrap value paid out. Conversely a car worth say £15/£20k will have for the insurer the added risk of theft/own damage costing them thousands to settle a claim - hence a higher premium so I would suggest you run any proposed purchase through a few comparison sites before committing to buy. You can though get a small discount by specifying a limited annual mileage eg 5000 miles or whatever - your recent MOT history will be online for you to check your actual annual mileage - just google DVLA and select "check MOT history".

Any car with the remainder of manufacturer warranty will have mandatory servicing at the specified time interval rather than on mileage if you want to maintain the warranty. You also need to watch out that a proposed purchase is not at a mileage just shy of a BIG SERVICE which can be pretty expensive. For example on Nissan Qashqai the cam belt change alone costs around £700 and for some models is recommended at 5 years or 75,000 miles whichever comes first. Hence a careful perusal of the service history is essential.

I would also have a very careful look at tyre tread wear on a proposed purchase - ideally for safety you want nearer 3 mm left rather than the mandatory minimum of 1.6 mm - and check tyre costs for the model you are buying.
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey
8-Oct-2020 14:57 Message #4794478
Here is a link to Autotrader review of 2014 Skoda Fabia

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/content/car-reviews/skoda-fabia-review-hatchback-2014
Male
In-Focus  Male  the West Midlands
8-Oct-2020 23:00 Message #4794499
Waiting to purchase the new Hyundai i20 automatic 6 speed dual clutch new generation 3 when it is officially released in UK. The older i20 generation 2 just does not look or have all the safety / interior screen features I want otherwise I would be happy to buy a year old second-hand one with a warranty.
:D
Female
9-Oct-2020 11:02 Message #4794566
Well its done, I've put down a deposit and it will have a clean MOT with any advisories dealt with, new rear brake disks, a full valet, 3 months warrenty. I had a look at its MOT history and it looks good, its cost me 4k which seems on the money for the year and model, its a top spec one. Its got plenty of leg and head room including in the back seats which is good for me and anyone else I might drive around and I could fit both dogs in it as the back is quite square, I don't like hatchbacks that slope sharply at the back, you might as well have a saloon as you've not really got the extra space.

My neighbour has a Qashqai and I though it very cramped inside, it didn't feel that much bigger than my old micra, and all the "bigness" was on the outside.

I'm wary of those lease deals, it might be alright is you have motability or something, but I've known people round here who have them and they have to be taken to a specific garage for any work, often that garage is miles away, to far for a sick car to travel.
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey
9-Oct-2020 11:51 Message #4794571
Spare parts for the Fabia are exceedingly cheap - eg a pair of new rear brake discs is around £25.

Hopefully there will be no MOT advisories on tyre tread depth.

You can buy an after market warranty from eg WarrantyWise if you want to cap your maintenance costs - but there will be a reducing annual cap on what they pay out as car gets older - quotes are free online.

1 2 Next   Last  

Help with conversations