Conversation The Forum
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Did you see it?

the so-called debate

1 2 Next   Last  

Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire
30-Sep-2020 21:39 Message #4793663
what a farce! I recorded it last night and watched it this morning. The idiot Trump managed to surpass himself with crass and boorish behaviour. Will the American public be any the wiser regarding his policies for the next 4 years after watching it? I think not.
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon
30-Sep-2020 22:41 Message #4793672
I watched it this afternoon and it was a farce but I thought Trump came out looking more intelligent and statesmanlike than Biden could ever hope to be.
Male
Kimjongun  Male  South Yorkshire
30-Sep-2020 23:32 Message #4793673
I see it, I still laughing, Trump more statesman than what?
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
30-Sep-2020 23:54 Message #4793674
Being a boxing fan......you see these things all the time in boxing....

Some are better than others...Some are rubbish.....Some are just semi staged...to get more people interested......There's needle.....genuine needle......but they add to it....a few more needles.........People like confrontation....It builds the atmosphere......Needles to say.......It is what it is.......It gets people talking.....

In general though....The Trump supporters are still Trump supporters.....The Biden supporters are still Biden supporters.....but I would say that more people will now be voting.....it brings people out.....More will get interested than will lose interest because of it.....

Some people may change their mind......but not many.....Hardened Republicans or Democrats will generally remain that way......Some floaters may float......but Trump and Biden were both going at it in a similar way.....so who would change from one to the other.......In the meantime though.....it all gains viewers....
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia
1-Oct-2020 07:25 Message #4793679
Wow Aely, not a word about how rubbish Biden was?
Calling Trump a clown and telling him to shut up, then bemoaning how un-presidential it all was.
In the brief bit I saw, they were both as bad as each other and the moderator was clearly a Biden fan....
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
1-Oct-2020 07:47 Message #4793682
moderator was clearly a Biden fan....

Embarrassingly so.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
1-Oct-2020 10:55 Message #4793707
I didn't watch it all but Biden barely got a word in, his campaign raised a record $3.8m in an hour so obviously he did something right.

I think Trump's a disaster, I think Biden might be a lesser disaster, but I really think whoever wins America is in for a long period of civil unrest, if Biden wins by a small margin then I think Trump will do everything he can legally to stay in office and when he runs out of legal options I doubt if he will go quietly. If Biden where to win by a large margin then I don't think Trump would go quietly.

I've yet to hear any policy proposals from either of them, I don't think the American people are being well served by either side.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire
1-Oct-2020 11:56 Message #4793713
The usual embarrassment all these shows are. Two very different people but I wouldn't want to choose who is the worst.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire
1-Oct-2020 15:37 Message #4793727
I would have thought that anyone of presidential material would have ability to manage anger in a public debate. I think Biden lost it with his unprofessional response "Shut up".

If I would was voting, I would vote for the lesser of two evils. Thinking about it, Trump is evil, but Biden I think has more compassion and care in his little finger than Trump has in his whole body.

Whatever inactions Biden has not done in the past, I would hope comes from age and realisation, so even if he causes less damage and division than Trump, something (potentially good) is better than nothing.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire
1-Oct-2020 15:51 Message #4793730
So it's a vote for Trump or Chump.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
1-Oct-2020 16:07 Message #4793735
The usual embarrassment all these shows are. Two very different people but I wouldn't want to choose who is the worst.

A lot of people are saying the same.
Female
1-Oct-2020 18:43 Message #4793752
I think theres some doubt as to whether its worth having any more TV debates.
Female
Andromeda  Female  Berkshire
1-Oct-2020 21:52 Message #4793761
TV debates are about as useful as PMQs. Just a show to please the audience.
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex
1-Oct-2020 22:10 Message #4793762
Well, it was as expected.

I have not seen Biden speak before. He made mistakes, misquoted, and not just once or twice. Don't know if it was memory or trying to goad Trump, who of course will react, esp. if its personal to him. I'm not sure I like Biden at all. I don't think he is that straight, plus concentration wandered a bit when he was speaking. I cannot believe he is the best the Democrats have to offer. Moderator didn't have control, and I'd say a Biden supporter.

Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon
2-Oct-2020 08:07 Message #4793780
If Biden wins I can't see him lasting long before he retires or is sidelined and someone else takes control. Biden is not up to a term of presidency.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia
2-Oct-2020 10:23 Message #4793805
The outpouring of sympathy (not) to the news both Trump and his wife have tested positive for covid-19 is heart warming... lol
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
2-Oct-2020 10:26 Message #4793806
We saw the same when Boris was diagnosed but social media usually only reports sarcasm and insults. I'm guessing that in the real world there will be many concerned for their health and as fellow human beings I don't believe many would wish them serious ill harm.
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire
2-Oct-2020 19:29 Message #4793868
I do feel sorry for Barron Trump, who is only 14 years old, having both parents sick with what can be a very nasty illness.
Female
5-Oct-2020 10:53 Message #4794143
Trump will make a full recovery, I don't see how he can't. And I would say go on to win the election.
Female
11-Oct-2020 14:46 Message #4794810
Trump does appear to be rather well on form. For someone barely a couple of weeks out of covid, he is showing more energy than before.

I believe he took the antidote/cocktail being made by Regeneron, I remember the name early on in the pandemic. A combination of 2 antibodies "directed against a key protein of the virus that causes COVID-19, SARS-CoV-2."

One of the antibodies coming from a human who has recovered from covid, SARS, and the other from a mouse. I think it was made specific to Trump. But if it works, I would say it sounds very promising.
Female
Greencare  Female  Berkshire
11-Oct-2020 16:54 Message #4794818
Trump was tested positive but he could have been asymptomatic and feeling ok. I think he will win the election.
Female
11-Oct-2020 18:13 Message #4794840
I still have doubts as to whether he ever really had covid, if he has then I think its likely that hs meds particulalry the steroids are masking the symptoms, which would be dangerous for him as he could easily get really sick again really fast. Funny how we've heard nothing about Melania and how her health is.

I fear he will win the election again too.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire
11-Oct-2020 22:28 Message #4794869
i too have doubts about trump having had covid.

when boris had it and he came out onto the steps of downing st. to clap for the nhs, he looked really rough.
i have not seen trump look anything like what boris did, in fact he didnt look no different to me.

sure, there are varying degrees of severity with the virus, but the stats suggest that trump should have had a harder time with it, after all hes 20 yrs older than boris.

only in america, eh?
Female
11-Oct-2020 23:10 Message #4794872
Well if we haven't learnt anything since April, when Johnson got it, with dozens of trials throughout the world, we must be really stupid.
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon
12-Oct-2020 07:52 Message #4794880
Everyone has learned a lot since April. It is social media which gives the impression everyone is either thick or gullible. By its very nature social media consists mostly of out of date, repeated posts, memes and misinformation.

1 2 Next   Last  

Help with conversations