Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

The NHS is under threat...

Well people, what do you think of this ?

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next   Last  

Male
Michaelt  Male  Devon
30-Sep-2020 09:50 Message #4793558
The Tories have just used their 78-seat majority to vote down an amendment designed to protect the NHS and publicly-funded health and care services from being subject to any form of control from outside the UK in a future post-Brexit Trade Deal.

The amendment, which was put forward by Green Party MP Caroline Lucas and supported by Labour leader Keir Starmer and a number of other senior Labour MPs, was voted down by a margin of 340 to 241 thanks to the Tories’ overwhelming parliamentary majority.

MPs have voted against New Clause 17, with 340 votes to 251.

The New Clause intended to protect the NHS and publicly funded health and care services in other parts of the UK from any form of control from outside the UK. pic.twitter.com/KIrFe5Slyc

— UK House of Commons (@HouseofCommons) July 20, 2020

In addition to protecting the NHS from foreign control, the amendment also contained numerous other measures to protect the NHS, including:

– Ensuring the ability to provide a “comprehensive and publicly funded health service free at the point of delivery” was not compromised by any future trade deal

– Protecting hard-working NHS staff from having their wages or rights slashed by any future trade deal

– Protecting the quality and safety of health and care services

– Regulating the control and pricing of medicines
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia
30-Sep-2020 09:57 Message #4793561
Well we've been protecting "Our NHS" for months now, so much so that hospitals are running empty and few people are going for vital tests or treatment.
People are so scared of going out and overburdening the service, they're staying away. Ironic really, I always though the NHS was there to protect us, that's what we pay for.
I would suggest that's far more important than the nonsense you keep spouting....
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire
30-Sep-2020 10:34 Message #4793565
Not sure Michaelt's comments are nonsense, the ideals of a health service for all are I think ideals worth protecting, and I'm totally against allowing foreign (or private uk) companies being allowed to make profits from a public service. If the NHS is burdened with bad management, get new managers.
That said, as is so often said on these boards, we do seem to like the idea of profit at any cost to life so perhaps the old adage of 'you get what you pay for' takes precedence.
Male
Pboro Trevor  Male  Cambridgeshire
30-Sep-2020 10:39 Message #4793566
All parties have repeatedly said that the NHS will be free for all at the point of contact.

A recent thread, if you read it looked at privatisation of some NHS services, which private companies could do better than the NHS.

Apart from that this seems to be a troll post

Trevor
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire
30-Sep-2020 10:41 Message #4793567
It also depends on what each individual or even political party see actually is the NHS.

I see and want the NHS to be centrally driven for all, not fragmented and not having segments in competition with each other, but some see the NHS as any organisation, private, outsourced, that gets paid to see NHS patients as NHS.

We have already had the thin edge of the wedge, until we now have the wedge bigger than the door!

We have greedy investment eyes eyeing up potential earners where instead of money going back into improving care, we have investors banking the profit from the "savings" they make by reducing working standards and cutting corners to the bone.
Male
Michaelt  Male  Devon
30-Sep-2020 10:49 Message #4793568
Pboro Trevor , I guess ive have to drag the horse to water to make it drink. My comment about the NHS was on the news.

Dig it up yourself if you dont believe me.
Male
Michaelt  Male  Devon
30-Sep-2020 10:52 Message #4793569
JustLyn, I believe you are a Labour supporter,?...you should know that the Tories have never believed in the concept and ideals of the NHS.
Male
30-Sep-2020 10:54 Message #4793570
As an aside michael (I know you don't talk to me but what the hell) you seem to bemoan the fact that the government has a majority.
Err, that's what elections are for.....
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire
30-Sep-2020 10:58 Message #4793571
When did you read this news Michael as it's been kicking around for quite some time now.

Have you really been taken in by it?

The amendment was ignored as there is already a similar amendment being worked on by both government and the medical profession.

The Greens put forward an amendment thrown together knowing it would be ignored as irrelevent and unnecessary because a better one is in the pipeline. A bit of duplicitous behaviour.

I'm guessing Keir was desperate for some publicity as he was very well aware that an amendment is in the pipeline.

I would say the NHS is in less danger now than it has been for decades.
Male
Michaelt  Male  Devon
30-Sep-2020 11:59 Message #4793580
MrQuiet , Why dont you find out for yourself, and stop relying on others to do it for you.

Here's something for you to do.

Tony Minister Matthew Hancock is busy selling off chunks of the NHS to private companies. Write what I just wrote into your broswer, and see for yourself......
Female
The_Jewess_Rebecca  Female  Herefordshire
30-Sep-2020 12:03 Message #4793581
What was I saying months ago? This was completely predictable. Corrupt placeman Johnson was put in office by the deep state and billionaire media to deliver no deal Brexit at any cost, and open the gate for primarily US corporations to exploit, asset strip and destroy every public service, every home grown industry and every achievement of the post War reformers until we're as dumbed down, degraded, divided and impoverished as America.

The private sector does not run public services better or even more efficiently. That's why our European neighbours don't do it. That should be glaringly obvious by now.
Public services are seen as a cash cow for the private sector and privatisation was never anything more than a vehicle for siphoning tax payers' money into the pockets of political allies and those who have our politicians bought and paid for.

R.I.P. NHS. As one commentator succinctly put it:

"If you voted Tory..........wear the badge. You know....the one that says “don’t resuscitate”.
Male
Michaelt  Male  Devon
30-Sep-2020 12:06 Message #4793582
TheJewessRebecca , Well said. You are absolutely spot on.
Male
30-Sep-2020 12:07 Message #4793583
Wow, right on cue.
Are you swooping like a hawk ready to dive at any moment JR?...
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon
30-Sep-2020 12:23 Message #4793585
Wow, right on cue.
Are you swooping like a hawk ready to dive at any moment JR?...

Maybe the Maglorian cabal were unavailable for comment lol.

Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon
30-Sep-2020 12:24 Message #4793586
When did you read this news Michael as it's been kicking around for quite some time now.

Have you really been taken in by it?

The amendment was ignored as there is already a similar amendment being worked on by both government and the medical profession.

The Greens put forward an amendment thrown together knowing it would be ignored as irrelevent and unnecessary because a better one is in the pipeline. A bit of duplicitous behaviour.

I'm guessing Keir was desperate for some publicity as he was very well aware that an amendment is in the pipeline.

I would say the NHS is in less danger now than it has been for decades.

You've caught Michael on the back foot lol.
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon
30-Sep-2020 12:25 Message #4793587
As one commentator put it "If you voted Labour jut thank you lucky stars most of the country had more sense"
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon
30-Sep-2020 12:27 Message #4793588
I met this woman in my local shop toady. She was very worried about the NHS and told me with tears in her eyes how grateful she was to the Conservative party from protecting the NHS and voiced her admiration of Johnson.

I met another constituent ................ blah blah.
Male
30-Sep-2020 12:43 Message #4793592
R.I.P. NHS. As one commentator succinctly put it:

"If you voted Tory..........wear the badge. You know....the one that says “don’t resuscitate”.

Who was that commentator, please?...
Male
Michaelt  Male  Devon
30-Sep-2020 14:20 Message #4793618
Some people are so stupid, it beggars belief...
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon
30-Sep-2020 14:39 Message #4793619
Mirror Michael - mirror!
Male
Michaelt  Male  Devon
30-Sep-2020 15:35 Message #4793631
NoSaint , Including you....
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon
30-Sep-2020 15:43 Message #4793632
Sticks and stones ...................... lol.
Female
30-Sep-2020 19:53 Message #4793648
Shame we can't do screenshots but here you go.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/272987042805039/user/1638137783/
Female
30-Sep-2020 19:54 Message #4793649
Lol, yeah course she did
Female
30-Sep-2020 19:55 Message #4793650
I look in about once every other month but it doesn't make any difference - still the same Boomer BS

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next   Last  

Help with conversations