Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Killer whales

attacking boats

Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
14-Sep-2020 10:48 Message #4792284
Groups of orca, (killer whales) have been attacking boats around Gibraltar, the orca seem to be coordinating their attacks and communicating with each other whilst they're attacking. Some quite large boats have been attacked and the sailors have had to put out mayday calls. The orcas are taking out rudders and ramming hulls, there are real fears that they will capsize a boat and kill the occupants.

No ones ever come across this sort of behaviour before and scientists are baffled as to why it has started. Personally I wonder if they're just fed up of humans, or that because of low fish stocks they've decided to adopt a new hunting style, a bit like when a group of lions became elephant hunters.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire
14-Sep-2020 13:34 Message #4792288
They've turned to canned food, like many of us when stocks of fresh become depleted.
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
14-Sep-2020 17:34 Message #4792305
There was a film in the 70's.....Orca Killer Whale.....Richard Harris I think....not as the whale...but as the Captain....

A whale attacking a boat for killing it's partner...
Female
14-Sep-2020 18:04 Message #4792306
Strictly speaking, orca are dolphins, not whales. They are smart and hunt co-operatively as a pack. Though they are not known for hunting humans. It would be interesting to know what is behind this behaviour.
Female
14-Sep-2020 18:42 Message #4792310
Unlike most films that take thier inspiration from Moby Dick this isn't one "whale" gone rogue, this is a group. It must be terrifying to come under attack from such large and dangerous animals.

Minnie your forst post made me think of a greetings card with a couple of whales following a diver and one whale says to the other, 'don't eat the hard bits, they make you fart'!
Female
14-Sep-2020 22:35 Message #4792335
The one I saw was of two sharks looking at two scuba divers saying, they taste alright once you get the wrapper off.
Female
Greencare  Female  Berkshire
17-Sep-2020 10:03 Message #4792518
The orca are clever hunters and attack seals trapped on ice floes by creating waves to rock the floe and tip the seal off so a bit like attacking a boat perhaps. I think polar bears are the only animal known to actively hunt humans.
Female
17-Sep-2020 10:34 Message #4792522
No these orca are targetting boats, taking out rudders as well as creating waves and ramming the sides of the boats. I think some tigers actively hunt humans.
Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region
17-Sep-2020 12:05 Message #4792548
"I think some tigers actively hunt humans."

I recall a documentary on this many years ago...

Tigers were attacking humans in certain areas of India. Question was Why this part of India?

The explanation was.... That part of India was a part where the British never went. All other areas stayed clear of humans as they would be shot, and the fear of humans became the norm. Not it this area though. How accurate or correct it is, I don't know.

Sundrabans area.
Female
17-Sep-2020 19:04 Message #4792572
I think its more likely that humans are encroaching more and more on the land and pushing out other creatures as has happened in so many areas. Tigers are more prevalent in some parts of India quite naturally, probably the province you mentioned Bob.
Male
Neros1954  Male  Devon
18-Sep-2020 16:52 Message #4792657
As we encroach on their land and kill of their food many animals might become more vicious and more likely to attack humans.
Male
AndyMacG  Male  the West Midlands
20-Sep-2020 12:07 Message #4792836
No ones ever come across this sort of behaviour before and scientists are baffled as to why it has started. Personally I wonder if they're just fed up of humans, or that because of low fish stocks they've decided to adopt a new hunting style,

Perhaps there behaviour has nothing to do with food, it could be sexual or even just a fun thing?

Andy Mac
Male
Kimjongun  Male  South Yorkshire
20-Sep-2020 12:29 Message #4792842
Well spotted Andy,

Yippee, look at the little b's, lets see if we can make more throw up, yippee!
Female
20-Sep-2020 18:26 Message #4792863
I don't think the behaviour is sexual unless orca have taken to sexual violence, they could be thinking it fun, but its similar to what they do to prey.

Male
AndyMacG  Male  the West Midlands
20-Sep-2020 18:50 Message #4792867
"No ones ever come across this sort of behaviour before and scientists are baffled as to why it has started."

Wonderoushen, you stated yourself in your Opening Post the above quote, So how can you define what the difference is between playful and violent ramming, If ten tonne of Orca is gonna bounce off your boat hull it isn't gonna be gentle, whether it's sexual, playful or violent, is it?

In fact the ramming is more a sexual behaviour than a feeding frenzy.

Andy Mac
Male
21-Sep-2020 10:28 Message #4792924
It's a strange bit of 'news'......Most main stream media don't have it....

When I do a google search for 'killer whales attack boats'....the first searches to come to are The Guardian......then The Independent....then the Sun....then Insider....then CBC radio.....All from over a week ago....None updated...

When I search youtube.......Nothing that stands out....in recent years.....The first search that comes up is a BBC one from 5 years ago entitled 'Why did killer whales chase a tourism boat?'

There is a 30 second clip further down the youtube page though....from the 11th Sep titled 'Yacht Attacked By An Orca (Killer Whale)'...........which shows.......a whale near a yacht....and a voice saying 'There it is...damn it'.....but you see nothing.....There is a caption with the video saying it rammed the rudder numerous times'

Fake bews?
Male
21-Sep-2020 10:29 Message #4792925
news....
Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region
23-Sep-2020 08:22 Message #4793010
I have been thinking.....

Perhaps these whales are...... RACIST!!! :o

Maybe they think these boats are being used by migrants to go from one safe country to another, and they whales are being paid by, or have been trained by.... white supremacist, Nazi, KKK men!
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
23-Sep-2020 09:32 Message #4793018
Or Farage!
Male
capnblackbeard  Male  Hertfordshire
30-Sep-2020 13:43 new  Message #4793615
i think most of the attacks have taken place around the bay of biscay, and scientist believe that because of lockup, and not so much niose/small shipping etc that the whales are either startled of fed up with the noise pollution.

Help with conversations