Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Oh no!

I'm a dinosaur!

1 2 Next   Last  

Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region
13-Sep-2020 13:28 Message #4792215
Hi Folks!

Bit of a story coming, if you want to bypass it, the question it is leading up to is in bold at bottom!

So as some of you may now, I’m no stranger to controversy, especially regarding my opinions on certain matters! I don’t believe my view are extreme, and indeed I do also believe that many more people share my beliefs and opinions, than would care to admit. For understandable reasons.

I’ve been banned/suspended from just about every single social media platform I have been on, for my “views”, as you apparently aren’t allowed to think differently from a certain group of people…

I recently out done myself! I’ve debated many, many topics, that have caused many, many…. “woke feminists and mangina, soyboy simps” to have outbursts of abuse and attack my person, not my point…. But as I say, I out done myself this week.

When I comment on certain topics, you give it a few hours and I can have 50-60-70-80 notifications with people replying to my comment. Usually its 70% opposing me, 30% on my side. I think if people agree they just like my comment, and don’t bother commenting. So it’s probably more 50/50. Not this week!

This week the subject of Should a woman take a mans name when she gets married?

To which my comment was along the lines of “I would expect my wife to take my name. Mum took Dads name, Gran took Grandpas name, so I’d like my wife to take mine.”

When I opened my app the next day I had a few short of…. 300! Yes! 300 people had a serious issue with my comment! Out of all those 300…. only two were on my side so to speak!

I received many comments like “Go back to the 1500 you dinosaur!”…. Didn’t know we had dinosaurs then…

I had many attacking my manhood/manliness, thinking I wanted a woman to be my property, and likened me to a dog urinating on a tree….

I had people telling me the tradition is wrong and it need to change.

I had many “men”, and yes I did put that in quotation marks, men telling me they took their wife name when they got married. I even had one man, who I feel so sorry for…. He met his wife, she had a child from a previous marriage, and when he and his wife were getting married, she didn’t want to change her name, as then her name would be different from her daughters. So the man changed his name to that of his wife and step daughters…. And presumable HER EX HUSBANDS NAME!!!!!!!! this absolute blew my brains out my ass! AND, AND, AND….. what comments did this “man” get?

“Oh you are so secure and brave!”

“Great to see men stepping into this century. I hope the rest follow!”

“What a kind and thoughtful modern man you are!”

“Powerful and strong man, she is lucky to have you!”

And let me tell you guys, there was plenty of that. Funny how a man takes a womans name and he is god, yet a woman takes a mans name…. She is a pissed on piece of property.

I obviously didn’t, and couldn’t respond to all these messages, far too many. I honestly never thought there was anything controversial about what I said.

I deeply apologies to anyone who read all that above, I know it was very long winded….

What is your opinion on a woman taking a mans name? Or visa versa!”
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
13-Sep-2020 13:53 Message #4792216
I'm just shocked........

....that you're using another social media site.....How long has this been going on?.....

I feel totally cheated.....
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside
13-Sep-2020 15:34 Message #4792217
Oh gawd you must be on some snowflake sites lol
People should do what they want to do, it's between the happy couple, and thankful that both partners now have the choice to do what they want
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire
13-Sep-2020 15:52 Message #4792218
HonestBob. I'm not sure if you are a dinosaur but most of the things you say are very similar to those of my grumpy old grandad so perhaps you are a bit of one hehe.

You are also one of my favourite posters even though I don't agree with many of the things you have to say. It is refreshing and so much more interesting to hear someone's opinion rather than the usual trite cliches reeled out so as not to offend anyone.
I think most of your opinions on women are mistaken and outdated but I don't find you offensive or rude and you are entitled to your opinions.

I can see why a family sharing one name made sense but times have changed and I don't think it has much importance these days. I do believe that either party wishing to keep their own family name should be free to do so but if they are in love enough to get married they should be in love enough to sort our such a trivial decision.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
13-Sep-2020 16:40 Message #4792220
Why should a woman have to take her husbands name? Its just a tradition left over from when women were seen as the property of a man rather than a person in her own right. Lots of women use their own family name for professional reasons and thier married name privately. As Raach says, if you're in love in enough to marry then you should be able to sort out something so trivial between you. In lots of countries names automaically become double barrelled, when a woman marries she adds her husbands family name to her own, then her daughter keeps her fathers family name and adds that of her husbands to it.

A woman keeping her own family name makes researching your family history easier, if you want to research your female ancestry.
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey
13-Sep-2020 17:32 Message #4792227
In recent years the trend seems to be to go down the double barrelled route - ie wife's family name hyphen husband's family - a kinda half way house between keeping own name and the traditional taking of the husband's family name.
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex
13-Sep-2020 18:27 Message #4792230
Confusion might arise with which name should the children have.
Male
13-Sep-2020 18:58 Message #4792233
It might be better to marry someone with the same surname......Preferably not a close relation though....
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey
13-Sep-2020 19:10 Message #4792234
In UK around half of new births are now out of wedlock...so by default the child's birth cert would show mother's surname.
Female
Madness102  Female  South Yorkshire
13-Sep-2020 22:32 Message #4792243
What's in a name?

What I find amazing is that people keep a name that they hate, living with it all their lives. First, or the last.

Very very few people change their name (I'm not talking marriage here, by the way).

Some live all their lives with something like Witchit Bumsome, hate it, but do nothing about it.

It is perfectly legal to call yourself anything whatsoever, so long as it is not for fraudulent reasons. You don't even need to do it by Deed Poll, just ask everyone to start calling you something nice. (according to your own taste).

I did change my surname by Deed Poll, but I wish I had just called myself something else, and not taken the legal route since it was unnecessary ( and costly at that time).
Male
13-Sep-2020 23:27 Message #4792248
"I'm just shocked........

....that you're using another social media site.....How long has this been going on?.....

I feel totally cheated....."

Should have taken my name! :D
Male
13-Sep-2020 23:30 Message #4792250
"Oh gawd you must be on some snowflake sites lol"

Yes, it's full of.... Twitts! lol
Male
13-Sep-2020 23:52 Message #4792252
"HonestBob. I'm not sure if you are a dinosaur but most of the things you say are very similar to those of my grumpy old grandad so perhaps you are a bit of one hehe."

He sounds a great guy! I'll have to take that as a compliment!

"You are also one of my favourite posters "

That I will also take as a compliment! Thank you dearly!

" I do believe that either party wishing to keep their own family name should be free to do so "

I agree! No one should have to change their name if they don't want to.

if they are in love enough to get married they should be in love enough to sort our such a trivial decision.

Well thats the thing.... Some people, like myself, don't see it as trivial.
Male
14-Sep-2020 00:19 Message #4792253
"In lots of countries names automaically become double barrelled, when a woman marries she adds her husbands family name to her own, then her daughter keeps her fathers family name and adds that of her husbands to it."

I can't see that appeasing some of the people I've been engaging with, that isn't enough.... the kids would also need double barreled names too... then their kids would end up with multiple double, triple barreled names. Reading the register at school would sound like the commentators at Crufts

Robert Johnathan McTavish McGregor - Cameron McKay! Here Miss!

Jennifer Louise McCallister Campbell - MacCalpine- Ross! Here MIss!

Mohammad Mustafa Al Ibriham Bin Rashid - Hussein Khan o'Harra o'Reiley! Here Miss!

I think the traditional way is best.

Male
14-Sep-2020 07:40 Message #4792266
Isla St Clair....who used to do the generation game amongst other things married the singer Barry White.....

She then divorced him, kept his surname....and then married Brian Ferry...

She's now called......

Isla White Ferry
Male
shergar  Male  Greater Manchester
14-Sep-2020 07:57 Message #4792268
Many years ago I married a filly who's surname was Loaf and adopted her name. Sometime later they named a mountain in Rio after me.

Clip Clop
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
14-Sep-2020 08:17 Message #4792269
My wife took my surname when we married which was traditional at the time but if she had wanted me to take hers I would have been happy to do so. If one of us had a surname we didn't like or would have led to mickey taking of our children in school then that name would have been quickly dumped.
One option would be to jointly choose a completely new name for both husband and wife and any children too.
Female
14-Sep-2020 10:37 Message #4792283
It dosen't end up with mulitple double barrelled names because the mothers name is dropped when the daughter marries.

To be honest Bob, you're not going to marry any woman who dosen't share your views, like most of us when meeting a potential new partner, if your views on life are that fundamentally different then your potential relationship will fail within the first few weeks and the whole question becomes irrelevant.
Male
The_Snow_Covered_Fool  Male  Cheshire
14-Sep-2020 12:15 Message #4792287
I'd just like to know which pillock in twitter thought there were dinosaurs in the 1500's ?

Chris.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire
14-Sep-2020 13:42 Message #4792289
Pointless outdated custom.

I would never have changed my name in the first place if I had known how much agro it would be to change it back.

Dinosaur made me laugh and a fitting analogy. Organisms that fail to adapt to the prevailing ecology go extinct.
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset
14-Sep-2020 16:36 Message #4792295
"Dinosaur made me laugh and a fitting analogy. Organisms that fail to adapt to the prevailing ecology go extinct."

Really? Dinosaurs ruled the earth for over 180 million years and only relinquished that incredible title and tenure of the planet because a huge asteroid wiped out 75% of life on earth when it hit what is now Mexico today. And anyway, dinosaurs still exist in bird form.

By comparison, we humans have only been around 200,000 years and are unlikely to survive for 1 million years let alone 180 million years so I don’t know why you laughed and thought the dinosaur analogy was either funny, fitting or correct.
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
14-Sep-2020 17:19 Message #4792301
The dinosaur is as dead as a dodo.
Male
14-Sep-2020 17:22 Message #4792303
There's proof that dinosaurs and humans were around at the same time.....There was a cartoon about it....Wilma!!!...
Female
14-Sep-2020 18:44 Message #4792311
What species of dinosaur do you think you are Bob?
Male
14-Sep-2020 20:09 Message #4792316
"I'd just like to know which pillock in twitter thought there were dinosaurs in the 1500's ?"

It wasn't an exact quote.... It may even have been the 1950s!!!

It was something just as daft, when ever the date was....

1 2 Next   Last  

Help with conversations