Conversation Arts and Entertainment
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Violence

In film

Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire
12-Sep-2020 00:21 Message #4792085
I'm guessing this has been done at least once over the years (probably more) on these pages, but thought it worth opening a discussion again.

Having just read a summary of the film 'The Painted Bird', I wondered if people see a difference in how violence is portrayed in film? We see such as Die Hard or Game of Thrones or many other such films which can be quite graphic; The Painted Bird is a film about the second world war seen through the eyes of a 13 year old, it's filmed in black and white and at it's premier apparently some people walked out because of it's graphic depictions.

Is there a limit, a line that shouldn't be crossed when depicting violence in film and if so, how might you define or describe that limit? are there some subjects that shouldn't be shown in a film - or edited to reduce the graphic content? How might you feel watching such a film (if you went in the first place)?
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
12-Sep-2020 09:42 Message #4792106
I remember when videos first came out.....pausing them and going frame by frame through the scene where somebodies head explodes......To see if you could see how they did it......

Oh.....and pausing to try and see Barbara Windsors bra fly off in Carry on Camping.....but that's another story....
Female
RoseyCheeks  Female  Nottinghamshire
12-Sep-2020 09:48 Message #4792107
I watch a lot of cinema and drama and it's difficult to draw a line because the tone of the film can totally change what's OK and what isn't. If a film seems to be over-graphic showing things that could be hinted at just as effectively I wince but a good film maker can make you think you've seen something that in truth you haven't. I don't think you actually see the ear being hacked off in Reservoir Dogs for instance, but I feel I saw it. I also want real stories though and appreciate violence is a part of life. A diet of RomComs isn't too good for you either!
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
12-Sep-2020 10:15 Message #4792112
I agree RC. Like can often be brutal and bloody, good drama dosen't glamorise violence, it may make you experience alongside the character what it feels like to be in medieval style battle, one of the best I've seen was "The Battle of the Bastards" in GoT when Jon Snow gets almost smotherred by the bodies of dead and dying comrades and the terror of facing a cavalry charge. Some films and tv violent scenes I admire for the sheer skill of the actors and stunt people, one of the reasons I like old school martial arts films.

I don't mind violence or sex for that matter in drama as long as its not gratuitous or a product of lazy writing.
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
12-Sep-2020 17:24 Message #4792132
I'm not overly impressed with violence in films and I find most of it very boring. If it is necessary to show a violent scene film makers are well aware of how to do this with some being discreet and others showing gratuitous scenes of bullets entering bodies and bursting out in a spout of blood, often in slow motion.
I'm not sure how you could limit this as each film is so different and, to me, some of the most traumatic scenes I have seen on the screen have been genuine black & white clips from wars around the world where sometimes the bodies or even the bones show more violence than a cheap shot in a modern film designed to shock.
I do think some things should be edited especially anything involving children and I think this is usually done anyway.

I can understand why youngsters might want to watch graphic scenes of sex and violence because they haven't had a chance to sample the reality but I don't really see why adults get much from it.
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex
13-Sep-2020 18:53 Message #4792232
If it's a war film there's going to be violence, to capture the reality of the story. I don't really care for violence in film, and definitely not graphic type scenes of brutality and torture, blood and limbs being severed! Prefer a suspense thriller.
Male
13-Sep-2020 20:19 Message #4792240
I saw a good one recently.....Hadn't seen it before.....It's been around since 2004 though...

It's on youtube....

It's intense...it's violent....it's moving....emotional.....it's got drugs, guns, loads of swearing....It's got disability... bullying....suicide...Revenge.....

It's also compelling viewing....in my opinion....

There are some good performances.....especially from Paddy Considine....

It's British.....

Directed by Shane Meadows....

It's called......Dead Mans Shoes.....

It would be interesting to hear what others think.....
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire
14-Sep-2020 18:13 Message #4792308
I never watch films that are rated higher than PG. My nerves can't stand it.
Gratuitous violence, graphic detail, torture, cruelty, loud bangs, violence towards women, psychological or physical abuse will make me head for the off button.
People creeping around in places where they shouldn't be with the expectation that the protagonists will pop back any moment scares me witless. Mulder and Scully blundering a round in the dark reduced me to a quivering wreck.
I've never seen the last half of I Am Legend, because the man at the time deemed that my level of agitation so great that he switched off in case I had a heart attack and he had to call an ambulance.
I'm a delicate little flower really. Kittens and butterflies are about my level.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire
14-Sep-2020 22:17 Message #4792332
dead mans shoes was a interesting take on revenge.
Female
15-Sep-2020 10:24 Message #4792349
I couldn't watch War Horse much to Manthings amusement and dismay, I had a panicky crying attack and felt sick, weird as I can easily watch humans killing and maiming each other, but a horse in distress and I go to pieces.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
16-Sep-2020 11:36 Message #4792436
Life can be quite depressing enough without watching depressing things for enjoyment.
Female
16-Sep-2020 18:55 Message #4792477
It depends on what you personally find depressing or enjoyable HoW, what you find enjoyable may make feel depressed and vice versa, I mean some people enjoy musical theatre, I'd rather have pins stuck under my finger nails!
Female
Sea  Female  Essex
16-Sep-2020 19:35 Message #4792479
I am exactly like Minnie when it comes to films. I avoid any that say 'adult content' and steer clear of violence and anything gory and nasty. Would give me nightmares and flashbacks. I have even had to close my eyes and look the other way at scenes in some 'Hary Potter' films. I also tend to keep to things not rated higher than a PG. Happy to watch things such as 'Anne of Green Gables and 'Little house on the Prairy'. I like to be a little more relaxed when watching anything and not be tense and scared and all on edge.
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset
16-Sep-2020 22:19 Message #4792499
A CLOCKWORK ORANGE. Antony Burgess.

A book about a thug?

Hardly. Clockwork Orange does examine the mind of a lawless 'Droog' but it also explores the power, responsibilities and morals of the state, society and the concept of free will.

Violence permeates the whole of the film but without it, the juxtaposition of the protaganist, Alex, (who delivers violence but also suffers the consequences of such action), could not be properly conveyed as an allegory to express the complex layers of ideas outlined in the book and film.

Alex is violent, sure, BUT is it right for the State to medically experiment on him with plans to remove his natural aggression? And is it morally acceptable to take away his free will in the process?

How best should society address those pursuing a lifestyle outside of society's norm? And what or who should even decide what those norms should be?

And who is the real criminal? The incarcerated individual or the corrupt State pursuing its own questionable agenda?
-
My early life followed exactly the story outlined within a Clockwork Orange and even the young offender's establishment portrayed in the film exhibited exactly the same process of "Reception" as when I first found the steel doors slamming shut behind me. Being made to strip, shower, have my belongings and cigarettes confiscated by the screws ... and then have my head shaved ... although my hair was already that short anyway! ;-)

And like Droog Alex, I also had to be taught the error of my ways although, in truth, I revelled in the challenge of fitting in to the, initially, violent environment though, thanks to my own character, I soon developed a similar loyal group of fellow inmates as the ones I had been wrenched from outside. New inmate friends willing to adopt my own particular philosophy and outlook on life.

But what a surprise!

It turned out that my incarceration, (at HMP Haslar in Gosport), taught me valuable personal lessons about life, applying myself and focusing fiercely on achieving objectives and recognising my own true worth. Lessons I went on to deploy in a great career and, later still, in business.

Clockwork Orange wouldn't function as such an allegory without the violence.

Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
18-Sep-2020 08:00 Message #4792609
I mean some people enjoy musical theatre, I'd rather have pins stuck under my finger nails!

A violent assault on the ears.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire
18-Sep-2020 11:01 Message #4792632
I did manage to sit through a whole series of The Capture though. Except, I had to switch off the last episode 20 minutes before the end. It took me a whole week to pluck up courage to watch the last 20 minutes.
Male
18-Sep-2020 12:52 Message #4792645
dead mans shoes was a interesting take on revenge.

It was Fosy.....Good guy or bad guy.....

An interesting film....Shane Meadows does some good stuff.,....
Female
wholelottakaren  Female  Lincolnshire
19-Sep-2020 14:28 Message #4792747
Went to the cinema earlier this week to see"Unhinged" - the /film about roadrage. VEry violent in places but an outstanding performance by Rusell Crowe as a man with serioous anger issues
Male
FirmButFair-TrollPatrol  Male  North Yorkshire
19-Sep-2020 17:17 Message #4792766
Easy role for Crowe. Didn't he throw a telephone at a hotel receptionist?
Male
19-Sep-2020 19:30 Message #4792776
I've heard people say that murder and rape are ok in films.......so long as it's all tastefully done......

Also...cartoon violence......being hit in the face with a frying pan.....and their face becoming frying pan shaped.....

Another frying pan one.....The Bottom type stuff.....Hitting someone over and over again with a frying pan....stopping only to look at camera for a second....then continuing....

The Simon Pegg 'Cornetto' films....Shaun of the Dead......Hot Fuzz......The Worlds End.......Great stuff.....

Help with conversations