Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Cookies

why do we have to have them?

Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
11-Sep-2020 19:01 Message #4792048
I'm finding pretty much every internet site I go to won't let me on unless I sign up to its cookie policy, it just puts me off using the site, I mean what are they for? Why do we have to have cookies in the first place? Sites say its to protect my privacy and so as they can help me find what I want, how about they stop trying to follow me about in the first place and let me access what I ask for?

Honestly the internet is just starting to annoy me more and more, it seems like another way of not giving me what I want or ask for, I was looking at dress makers forms earlier on and I was offered a digger bucket! I mean WTF? Plus being offered page after page of the same stuff that I didn't want on the first site I looked at it on. I'm not a computer genius by any stretch of the imagination, and I get fed up of being told that I should change my search wording, change my browser, or a load of other things I've no idea how to do or judge if they'd be right for me?

Sorry, I'm having a ranty day, I'm in loads of pain and can't get any help til at least monday, if then, if it works and dosen't leave me feeling worse than before.
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey
11-Sep-2020 19:26 Message #4792051
Cookies in essence are just another advertising tool insofar as they facilitate more targeted responses - and also keeps the basic search process free.

Same with online newspapers (for those remaining subscription free).
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset
11-Sep-2020 21:24 Message #4792058
"Cookies in essence are just another advertising tool insofar as …"

WRONG!

Cookies are not software code or malicious files in themselves. Neither are they solely designed as advertising tools. Rather. cookies are merely text files.

That’s all they are.

However, just like anything else, (online or off), cookie text files can be compromised or exploited for good or for bad.
-
When we visit websites that use cookies, a cookie file is saved to our PC, phone or tablet and they are stored with the website name and also a unique ID that represents us as users. This is a necessary and useful function on many, many websites; enabling a website to know that we’ve, perhaps, already visited the site previously, saving time in asking for an input every time we visit OR by enabling a website to recognise that we may have already clicked on certain pages, images or similar elements prior.

There is nothing sinister involved.

Cookies act like prompts or reminders and facilitate the seamless navigation of a website.

To regard a cookie as malicious or some kind of danger by default is unwarranted because, without cookies, legitimate, useful sites would be more cumbersome and clunky to browse.
-
Sure. Cookies are valuable to advertisers because, yes, companies can tailor their websites to individual users and those sites can remember that you may have already visited them because cookies allow a site to store some information about you, (and your navigation of their site), based on your previous visit.

Again. Nothing sinister.

A computer cookie is made up of such text information and when you visit a website, the website sends the cookie to your computer. Your computer stores it in a file located inside your web browser.
-
Problems arise when humans EXPLOIT said information by writing code to STEAL said useful, harmless information – for their own needs or uses.

Such everyday cookies may be MANIPULATED by thirds parties unless a site maintains effective security over the information they store about us.

But don’t blame the cookies. Blame the poorly written websites, (or organisations), that don’t look after the information we expect them to store securely on our behalf.

And remember. You may be visiting a site that has taken millions of dollars to create. In that regard, cookies could be seen as being marketing tools though, no, "in essence", that isn't their sole or main purpose for the reasons outlined above.

True though. There may be some kind of a trade off, whether there is commercial intent or not.

You gain FREE access to a web site and that site, (by using cookies), gets YOU, (or, rather your info), which acts as information they can themselves, harvest, exploit, sell or make use of as part of the deal.

There is no such thing as a free lunch.
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
11-Sep-2020 21:40 Message #4792062
If you clear all your history and all the cookies returning to the sites which you often use can be a right pain. As the site has no information it will request all the information it had stored. Generally I allow cookies for the sites I use regularly but often cancel them on other sites.
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset
11-Sep-2020 21:47 Message #4792064
In fact, Hen, you could be reasonably described as being like a spoilt brat in as far as some of these amazing websites spend zillions to get online, have offices full of professionals creating the content you seem to want to view or visit yet you dare bitch about agreeing to their terms.

It’s dead simple. If you don’t wish to agree to their cookie policies … then don’t visit or use their sites.
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset
11-Sep-2020 22:44 Message #4792068
From the BBC website

The good thing about cookies…

Some cookies are more sophisticated. They might record how long you spend on each page on a site, what links you click, even your preferences for page layouts and colour schemes. They can also be used to store data on what is in your ‘shopping cart’, adding items as you click.

The possibilities are endless, and generally the role of cookies is beneficial, making your interaction with frequently-visited sites smoother - for no extra effort on your part. Without cookies, online shopping would be much harder.

…and the bad

So why the paranoia? The answer probably depends on how you feel about organisations – both big business and government – storing information about you. There is nothing especially secret or exceptional about the information gathered by cookies, but you may just dislike the idea of your name being added to marketing lists, or your information being used to target you for special offers. That is your right, just as others are entitled to go along with the process.

When cookies first started to appear, there was controversy. Some people regarded them as inherently sneaky - your PC was being used (without warning) to store personal information about you, which could then be used to build a picture of your browsing habits.

Cookies and the law

Most modern websites use cookies in some way, and it is unlikely that the majority of internet users even notice cookies working away in the background as they browse from site to site. Until now it has been up to individual users to either block or allow cookies using settings in their internet browser. From the end of May 2012 though, a new EU law will require all sites that use cookies to seek your express permission to store and retrieve data about your browsing habits.

Most sites will now draw your attention to their cookie policy when you first visit the home page. Don't be put off by this, you were probably sharing details with the site before without even knowing it. In many cases you can click to say you understand the cookies policy but in many instance you can simply ignore the announcement and continue browsing as normal.
---
Kind of ... what I already expressed. :-)
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire
11-Sep-2020 23:00 Message #4792069
Interestingly (for me) wonderoushen, you've raised a point I was going to do a thread on; though I would have worded it slightly differently.
No such thing as a free lunch? I'd disagree
It's not cookies, it's how they're used? totally agree
Nothing sinister about them? (can't recall if that had been said or not, but I thought I'd put it in anyway), again, I'd disagree.

What was it was said when the internet was first developed? information at our fingertips? how wrong could anyone have been?
They are a tracking tool, an advertising tool designed and used for two purposes, to get money out of us whether that be for information or sales, and to track us. Like you wonderoushen, I find the internet more and more an annoying piece of drivel that seeks to push us in one direction and make the masses reliant on a few people. One of the reasons I still look in on here is because it tends to be less intrusive than most other sites.
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire
11-Sep-2020 23:39 Message #4792081
3,500 odd cookies on my computer this morning when I checked. Time for a clean up.
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset
12-Sep-2020 00:36 Message #4792087
"What was it was said when the internet was first developed? information at our fingertips? how wrong could anyone have been?"

WRONG.

Nobody said that, Terry. Your view is entirely ill informed.

The web, (the WWW), was originally conceived to allow automated information-sharing between scientists in universities and institutes around the world and it was layered, (built), upon ARPANET, a 1960s U.S defence project which had the objective of connecting several super-computers together so that if any one of them was destroyed by a nuclear strike, the remaining computers would still hold the same data and continue to function.

The planet owes a great debt to Tim Bernards Lee because it was he who scrambled and jetted around the world encouraging every organisation and interested party to adopt his UNIVERSAL language to ensure that all future browsers shared the same code ... a stroke of pure genius that, once adopted, prevented huge organisations from following their own particular version of the internet that, if pursued, would have led to a betamax versus VHS style commercial battle where there would have been several "formats" of internet all different from each other.

TBL did enable a WWW that was capable of providing information at our finger tips though for you to dare diss the innovation in the way you just did is simply perverse.

Don't blame the net for being a device capable of holding all of humanities data. (Good or bad).

In that sense, the net remains a blank sheet of paper.

It is up to humanity what it writes on said sheet of paper!

"What was it was said when the internet was first developed? information at our fingertips? how wrong could anyone have been?"

Congratulations, Terry.

I grant you first prize for writing the most idiotic statement on Midsummer for years!

And it is even funnier to appreciate that you actually defecate on the very technology that allows you to, (globally), express and share your twisted, ill informed view online.

Go and join Hen. (She also wishes to bite the hand that freely gives her access to all the wonders humanity feeds her courtesy of the WWW).
Male
brisinger-the-beekeeper  Male  Lancashire
12-Sep-2020 01:24 Message #4792088
At their base point they are an authentication tool but also perform various functions at different levels. They can also be used to remember pieces of information that you previously entered into form fields, such as names, addresses, passwords, and payment card numbers. The thinking behind this is to prevent keyloggers from tracking secure data if you use it more than once. You may also find 'tracking cookies' which are used to track your usage habits and use it for things such as target advertising or used by search engines to taylor your results. The EU banned the unconditional use which is why some sites will ask whether you will allow them to be used and often give you the option of what they can be used for.
Male
brisinger-the-beekeeper  Male  Lancashire
12-Sep-2020 01:37 Message #4792089
Before you get a Beachification version this site probably explains it quite well...
https://bit.ly/33jH6L7
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire
12-Sep-2020 08:43 Message #4792099
I think you're absolutely right in what you say about Tim Berners Lee Beach, I would also suspect things haven't turned out quite as he envisioned, though have to admit I don't know exactly what he envisioned so perhaps it has.
Female
Madness102  Female  South Yorkshire
12-Sep-2020 10:24 Message #4792113
Sorry WH, that you are not too well and in pain.

Why don't you enjoy a nice cup of your favourite drink with a COOKIE !!
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
12-Sep-2020 10:35 Message #4792116
Was that supposed to be funny and make me feel better Madness, because if it was then I think you need your settings adjusting.

Oh look I've become Beach's whipping post again, must be my month for it?

Male
AndyMacG  Male  the West Midlands
13-Sep-2020 09:42 Message #4792185
Cookies
"why do we have to have them?"

Because a glass of milk would be shyte without them ;-) lol

Andy Mac
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
13-Sep-2020 09:51 Message #4792186
They're currently working on a 3D printer that turns the cookies into actual cookies....and any spam into actual spam...

The next development is to call some data 'fillet steak'.....and 'Indian Meal for 2'
Male
AndyMacG  Male  the West Midlands
13-Sep-2020 10:10 Message #4792192
If thats the case Tumbled, i want some cookies called "Ferrari" ;-) lol

Andy Mac

Help with conversations