Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Injured pigeon

Male
CircusMaximus  Male  North Yorkshire
9-Sep-2020 16:25 Message #4791861
Take it to an animal hospital or put it out of it's misery?
Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region
9-Sep-2020 17:07 Message #4791863
Out its misery.... done it a few times with Seagulls and Crows. Not nice but....
Male
vintagedave  Male  Northamptonshire
9-Sep-2020 17:58 Message #4791868
Take it to an animal hospital/vet. It may not be badly injured, and might be saved.

David.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire
9-Sep-2020 20:55 Message #4791882
Animal hospitals/vets dont help round here, they say pigeons are not included in their rescue/save scheme. . A few years back I found an injured pigeon in the road and couldnt find anyone to help. In the end I took it to the local little police station & they gave me the tel number of an old couple who looked after injured animals on a voluntary basis. They took in the bird and showed me other animals in their garden, in various sheds and buildings, all with some injury or problem, and were being looked after. I remember there was a magpie who didnt like ladies and was always attacking them in the high street. Someone had managed to grab it and attempted to kill it, then left it for dead. This bird lived in a cage in their outhouse for another 5 years. I kept in touch with this couple for about 7 years, then sadly they passed away in their late 80's.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
10-Sep-2020 07:22 Message #4791890
It still seems strange seeing so many posts, almost daily, on social media asking what should be done for injured birds.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
10-Sep-2020 10:46 Message #4791932
Is this a rhetorical question or have you been faced with this situaltion recently?
Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region
10-Sep-2020 13:12 Message #4791951
"It still seems strange seeing so many posts, almost daily, on social media asking what should be done for injured birds."

I'm sure a while back I done a thread on the effects of lockdown relating to road kill.... I'm sure it was on here.

I'm seeing lots of birds, and bats seem to be suicidal these days! I had in Edinburgh few nights ago, yes nights, it was dark... I pulled out of a junction and a feathered thing flew at the side of my cab, making a toot toot toot toot noise, almost as if it was trying to attack my truck....

On a stretch of the M90 between Kinross and Glenfarg, I hit quite a few bats! One stuck to the windscreen, then fell off into the outside lane, and I think, hit the car overtaking me!

I will sound terrible here, I admit it, if its an injured little bird, a seagull, pigeon or crow and it looks badly injured, I'd put it out its misery. If it was an Owl, or a big type of bird, a Buzzard, Kestrel, Eagle type thing, I'd try saving it, get it the help.

Why some birds are to be saved and others aren't?.... I've no idea.

Guessing its the same reason why we eat some animals and others are family members.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia
10-Sep-2020 13:23 Message #4791952
Bloody feral pigeons and collared doves are a pain around here, with their banal cooing sound all morning.
I'd let nature take it's course with the pigeon, I'm sure a fox would be glad of a free meal.

One thing about birds I have noticed in recent years, which I don't remember when I was younger is songbirds chirping away late into the night. Even at 11pm you can hear sparrows and other birds singing away in the pitch dark, don't they know they have to be up early in the morning?...
Male
Kimjongun  Male  South Yorkshire
10-Sep-2020 22:47 Message #4791989
Grumpy Hiero not like bird song?
Male
11-Sep-2020 07:26 Message #4792008
Oh Kim no understand, Hiero love birdsong but worry bird so tired to sing well if still woke late in night.
Pigeon not sing happy just coo with bad tune, best they get shot or eaten by fox...
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
11-Sep-2020 07:34 Message #4792009
I will sound terrible here, I admit it, if its an injured little bird, a seagull, pigeon or crow and it looks badly injured, I'd put it out its misery. If it was an Owl, or a big type of bird, a Buzzard, Kestrel, Eagle type thing, I'd try saving it, get it the help.

Why some birds are to be saved and others aren't?.... I've no idea.

Guessing its the same reason why we eat some animals and others are family members.

I would do the same. A small bird injured in the garden or a small bird or animal hit by the car and I feel the most humane thing is to quickly finish it off and stop any suffering. That doesn't stop me from feeling guilty though. I don't even kill spiders.
The animals we choose to eat while not eating others has always puzzled me.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire
11-Sep-2020 09:59 Message #4792023
It doesn't matter what kind of animal it is. Depends on how badly injured it was. I have found many injured creatures on roads over the years, when I have been out cycling. If it looks like it could make a recovery, I do what I can to get it the help it needs. If not, then I would do my duty to not allow it to suffer and dispatch it. It doesn't make me feel good, but it is better than leaving something to die a long and painful death. As a society, we seem to save that fate for other humans.
Male
11-Sep-2020 21:50 Message #4792065
Grumpy Hierophunt want to shoot poor pigeons!
I have wood pigeons in garden eating elder berries.
They no problem, lovely birds.
Hierophunt full of sexual frustration.
One day he going to explode, like milk carton dropped from high rise.
Male
12-Sep-2020 18:36 Message #4792142
Ooh Kim you little tease.
You should give me a call sometime and we could go shooting together.
Call me 07988 037566....

Male
12-Sep-2020 23:37 Message #4792162
You not shooting at me Hiero!

Dirty decadent western perv.
Just send postcode, I send present.
That phone number in Papua New Guinea.

Help with conversations