Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Another Covid

False positive.

1 2 Next   Last  

Male
Kimjongun  Male  South Yorkshire
24-Aug-2020 21:56 Message #4790674
Some claims that someone re infected with covid 19.
Many claims before were not true.
Some people still test positive after being infected, due to remnants of C19 in system.
The remnants are harmless, also not contagiuous.
Why they keep telling this story?
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
24-Aug-2020 21:59 Message #4790675
It is still an unknown virus behaving in an unknown way. I think there will be conflicting reports for many months to come.
Male
24-Aug-2020 22:22 Message #4790681
It is known that people can test positive after having C19.
Some tests even state a range for so called False positives
They just have harmless remnants of C19.
Male
Pboro Trevor  Male  Cambridgeshire
25-Aug-2020 09:33 Message #4790705
The virus will also mutate meaning second infections are quite likely

Trevor
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire
25-Aug-2020 11:49 Message #4790722
We are on a big learning curve here with CV19, as nothing like this has been around before. I do feel that people are becoming complacent about taking care, especially the ones organising raves and big gatherings.
What IS wrong with them !!!!!
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex
25-Aug-2020 12:23 Message #4790729
Some claims that someone re infected with covid 19.
Many claims before were not true.
Some people still test positive after being infected, due to remnants of C19 in system.
The remnants are harmless, also not contagiuous.
Why they keep telling this story?
……………………………………………………………………………….

It makes a good story? A re-infection story at regular intervals? I think if that were completely true there would be a lot more than just one or two. Perhaps they never really had it the first time. You'd honestly have to look at their med notes to know.
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey
25-Aug-2020 12:51 Message #4790735
The vast majority who were infected will not have any medical notes per se as they will have been largely/wholly asymptomatic and thus never seen by any NHS facility.
Male
25-Aug-2020 20:38 Message #4790784
That is true Boydel, it would of course make the mortality rate of C19 even lower.
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey
25-Aug-2020 20:49 Message #4790785
Agleed - but noborry know true numbers infected - and even the actual deaths have some doubt around number given the recent backtracking to remove those who died after more than 28 days from a positive test.
Female
27-Aug-2020 13:07 Message #4790876
A-symptomatic, it says ….. asymptomatically infected individuals are much less likely to transmit the virus than those who develop symptoms.

Definition of asymptomatic : (of a condition or a person) producing or showing no symptoms. In that case it would be better if the entire population had the test. Then we could monitor the asymptomatic and have a "warning" system? Or get rid of their "condition".
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire
27-Aug-2020 15:05 Message #4790887
I believe the particular person has been infected by a different strain to the one prevalent at the time of his first infection, so definitely a reinfection rather than detection of remnants, if reporting is correct. The current dominant strain is the 6th to be identified and has generally superceded the original strain. It is believed to be more contagious, causing a higher viral load in the nose and throat. It is yet to be determined if it is more or less dangerous as Covid is currently hitting younger, less vulnerable people, the older more vulnerable being either dead, temporarily immune or too canny to risk catching it.
Female
31-Aug-2020 20:47 Message #4791228
Would love a link for where you got that info?

I would like to question why we are being given these new precautions anyway, masks, sanitizers, distancing, when the virus deaths are in lpw double or even single figures. And why it was not recommended when deaths and contagions were in 100s and 1000s. Something just so doesn't make sense. Why does the phrase blowing on the embers of fear come to mind.
Female
8-Sep-2020 12:40 Message #4791786
Covid contagions have shot up. But deaths are low single figures across the country. So …. if more people are getting it, but not dying something must have improved. Why the extreme precautions. I would have thought it was waning, some kind of immunity must have set it. Government seems to get things back to front as a habit. No deaths in Scotland, N. Ireland and Wales. Why are they in a constant panic.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia
8-Sep-2020 13:07 Message #4791787
Interesting that Scotland still runs a daily (I think) press conference on covid when England's stopped weeks ago.
Not sure if Wales and Northern Ireland still run one, but is there really that much to say?
It keeps the panic going though I suppose....

Male
8-Sep-2020 21:44 Message #4791807
The more they test the more they find.
Tends to suggest a lot have people have already had covid.
My original post seems to be just another false claim.
Not to worry there will be another scary one soon.
Someone is definitely going to be re- infected?
Female
13-Sep-2020 10:34 Message #4792196
Nine covid deaths reported yesterday. Yet we are going into more restrictions tomorrow. I wonder if the gov. has considered that somewhere along the line, their figures could be wrong, gone beserk even.
Male
Templar2013  Male  South East London
13-Sep-2020 10:54 Message #4792200
The gov are on a hiding to nothing whatever they do because so many people have differing opinions on the virus. Some believe is is dangerous, will kill them and very contagious but others believe it's just another flu. Many are crying out to get back to normal while others want stricter lockdowns. Most parents and teachers I know wanted schools open again but unions and many others wanted them to remain closed. It's a nightmare because short of locking everyone down 24/7 there is no obvious answers only reasonable compromises which are likely to be obeyed as otherwise they will just be ignored.
Male
13-Sep-2020 19:12 Message #4792235
Also government spend billions. to protect people from?
They are trying to cover up the spend, they over reacted.
We should be in same position, with much smaller loss to economy.
Female
15-Sep-2020 14:00 Message #4792365
Government spent millions to save the economy and themselves, their casual approach at the beginning and lack of anything/everything, open airports, no testing, no masks, no ppe. no distancing, no care home facilities, until people started dropping like flies. Plus they all 3 of them caught it. Total shambles. I don't think they know what they're doing now. I think covid is not something we have control of.
Male
Neros1954  Male  Devon
15-Sep-2020 16:18 Message #4792368
And yet there are still thousands of people including many medical professionals who believe the government over-reacted and many of the precautions were unnecessary.
Male
The_38th_Parallel  Male  Essex
16-Sep-2020 09:42 Message #4792423
The UK is recording between 2.5-3.5k new cases a day this week.
And that's with the ongoing issues of people not being able to find testing availability.
So the real number is likely to be way higher than that.

On LBC they were talking about the case of a someone living in Twickenham in South West London being given a covid test slot in Aberdeen.
They'd heard that Twickenham Stadium had been turned into a testing station so couldn't work out why they wouldn't be able to get one there so changed the search parameters and put in an Aberdeen postcode and got a test slot at Twickenham.

If that's correct, it's absolutely crazy.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia
16-Sep-2020 09:51 Message #4792424
The more you test, the more positives you will find.
Experts say the false positive rate is somewhere between 1% and 3%, and the hospitalisation and death figures are going down.
Even so, I'm hearing talk of curfews and more lockdown coming, we are stuck in a cycle of fear that we won't get out of, I despair!....
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
16-Sep-2020 10:07 Message #4792425
Newsnight did the same study as LBC yesterday and had the same findings, nobody from government would speak on the program and least of all about those findings. GP's arn't a priority for testing, which seems totally mad. The longer this pandemic goes on the less competant the government become.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
16-Sep-2020 11:29 Message #4792432
The gov are on a hiding to nothing whatever they do because so many people have differing opinions on the virus. Some believe is is dangerous, will kill them and very contagious but others believe it's just another flu. Many are crying out to get back to normal while others want stricter lockdowns. Most parents and teachers I know wanted schools open again but unions and many others wanted them to remain closed. It's a nightmare because short of locking everyone down 24/7 there is no obvious answers only reasonable compromises which are likely to be obeyed as otherwise they will just be ignored.

That is why the social media "experts" are going round and round in circles with every action taken being discussed as if the social media "experts" know something the rest of us don't.
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
16-Sep-2020 12:09 Message #4792437
The funniest thing is hearing the 'common sense people' on a pedestal.......like they've got it all sussed......and everyone else is a divvy...

1 2 Next   Last  

Help with conversations