Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Picnics

When did you last go on one

Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside
30-Jul-2020 09:59 Message #4788036
And what was your favorite picnic food?
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
30-Jul-2020 10:33 Message #4788038
I can't remember and I'm not a fan of sharing my food with wasps.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire
30-Jul-2020 13:20 Message #4788053
I have them all the time but it depends what kind of picnic.

A laying out of pretty blanket ... Nah.

B and I did a 3 mile stroll around Sandal Castle and the Pugney's Country Park couple days ago. We live 20 miles apart so packed different things this time. The park was too busy with kids and people with ice cream dripping off their chins so we went off piste and plonked in long grass by the river.
I had :

an oat coffee latte from my flask.
A Cheese and cucumber sandwich on a home made wholegrain seeded slice.
A satuma.
A Cadbury's cereal bar.

I resisted the crisps because we later drove to Holmfirth and ordered mini fish and chips through Compo's Restaurant Chippy's new phone app, then at 6pm, sat in the car with a takeaway at £10.40 for two. He had the mushy peas...yuk!
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
30-Jul-2020 18:25 Message #4788068
Since this pandemic has changed our lifestyles I've not been able to eat out which was a favourite indulgence of mine but I have been on about a dozen mini-picnics with my daughter. She is too vulnerable to be out and about but we have ventured to remote places with pleasant woodlands, hillside views and no other people. It has been fantastic although the weather has helped.
Nothing special just sandwiches, cake, flasks of tea .. and hobnobs of course.
Male
Colonel_Blink  Male  Buckinghamshire
30-Jul-2020 22:05 Message #4788078
Picnics are fun occasions but only if you are the sort of person to be relaxed and easy going and possibly not a sun worshipper if you are picnicking in the uk.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire
30-Jul-2020 23:05 Message #4788083
a couple of years ago, at wanlip country park.

fave food?
a proper, hand made melton mowbray pork pie...NOT one labelled melton mowbray then mass produced in some factory.
Male
flowerpotman  Male  Dumfries and Galloway
1-Aug-2020 16:32 Message #4788180
I used to live in Wanlip village Fosy took my dogs for walks round the lakes every day.I ran a plant nursery just outside the village for 23 years.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire
1-Aug-2020 22:28 Message #4788211
small world fpm...

i hear they are spending a fair bit of money at the park but i havent been there this year.

a nice area in general.
Female
Molly  Female  Essex
2-Aug-2020 09:10 Message #4788231
I have friends on Mersea Island who I have met up with during this crisis and we have had picnics by the sea at quiet places around the coast. It is an ideal way to meet where you can chat, enjoy the view and remain at a sensible distance. The food has usually been cheese, ham, pickle, in rolls and sandwiches.
Female
Topaz53  Female  Northamptonshire
2-Aug-2020 09:12 Message #4788234
Ironically at the side of a disused bustop yesterday...with my sister and her dog...not the location intended.

I was on the way to pick up my sister when I hit a kerb and had to pull over, as the 2 passenger tyres had been hit and gone flat.
I was aware I would cause further damage by pulling carefully off the main road but had to ensure not only my safety but the safety of others.

A lovely picnic had been made to take to Rutland water but ended up being eaten in the layby.

My garage was closed as half day, my RAC card had expired , my sister's Green flag turned out to be covered for only her car.

Eventually after 5 hours in the heat and trying to get help, a mobile tyre service had to be called....which operated a main call service and then subcontracted another company to pick up the tyres who then come out and fitted them.

Finally started to drive off only to hear several weird noises coming from my car....which means further work needs to be done and the car still 4 miles from my home.

That day out has already cost me £290 for call out and 2 tyres...and will now have to be taken to the nearest garage...

I don't think I want to hear the words "picnic " for a VERY long time. :/
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside
2-Aug-2020 09:13 Message #4788236
Oops topaz,
Pub lunch instead? Lol
Female
KatieBubbles  Female  West Sussex
2-Aug-2020 10:21 Message #4788248
This year I have been either working or sleeping as I have never known a more hectic time but I do love picnics. My last was in the middle of last year but I had several during the nice weather. Much preferable to being stuck indoors. Quiche is a favourite.
Male
AndyMacG  Male  the West Midlands
2-Aug-2020 12:12 Message #4788275
I think the last picnic i ever went on was with Travman (John) on one of his narrowboat meets, Can't remember the date but OMG they were really lovely picnics :)

My favourite picnic food would have to be "All of it" lol

Andy Mac
Female
Andromeda  Female  Berkshire
2-Aug-2020 18:31 Message #4788310
I've not been on a picnic for a very long time but this thread has reminded me how enjoyable they can be.

Male
Neros1954  Male  Devon
2-Aug-2020 21:50 Message #4788320
We have a very beautiful country with great scenery and wonderful coastlines ideal for picnicking.

Help with conversations