Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

SKY Arts channel to go free to view on Freeview

from September

Male
Seasons-Greetings  Male  Essex
30-Jul-2020 08:58 Message #4788026
One to look out for, for anyone that enjoys an arts & culture targeted TV Channel.
Sky Arts - previously only available as a Sky subscription only channel is going to go free to air on Freeview at the end of September.
Filing the void, as BBC Four fades away due to "Auntie" scaling back on the channel.
A good channel for those interested in all sorts of areas of the Arts & Culture.
I enjoy re-runs of classic concerts.
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
30-Jul-2020 09:07 Message #4788027
That sounds worth a look. Freeview is a good service.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
30-Jul-2020 10:31 Message #4788037
I'm looking forward to this too.
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire
30-Jul-2020 17:12 Message #4788061
It comes across as if Murdoch is scaling back on the satellite arm of his business since more seem to be moving to Freeview. I wouldn't be surprised if he ditched satellite altogether with the advent of IPTV and his streaming service NowTV for premium channels. Moving satellite only channels to Freeview means there's less incentive to subscribe.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
30-Jul-2020 19:02 Message #4788071
Or its a big ad campaign if fewer people using sky are opting for an arts channel then maybe by repurposing it as a freeview channel they hope to attract more people to their pay for networks?
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex
30-Jul-2020 19:49 Message #4788072
I have Sky Arts, I'm with Virgin. To be honest I don't ever remember watching it. BAFTA, Artemesia, Discovering Film, nothing that particularly stands out, unless you like a particular genre.
Male
Seasons-Greetings  Male  Essex
30-Jul-2020 23:07 Message #4788084
It's already happened bris,
Murdoch's 20th Century Fox owned a controlling interest in Sky plc.
While Walt Disney was acquiring most of 20th Century Fox from News Corp,
Sky Group was acquired in 2018 by the US media and communications conglomerate Comcast.
Male
Pboro Trevor  Male  Cambridgeshire
31-Jul-2020 10:30 Message #4788093
Anything to boost viewing figures and get advertisers to pay more.

Trevor

Help with conversations