Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

The world

1 2 3 4 5 6 Next   Last  

Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire
30-Jul-2020 07:10 Message #4788016
according to......

As most of us are approaching the autumn of our lives, do you have any reflections on it? if talking to a younger generation do you have any words of experience you'd pass on about the world and how you see it, have seen it?
Male
zodiac1  Male  Flintshire
30-Jul-2020 07:28 Message #4788017
Hard work never killed anyone so work hard,

thats if you can find a job , life will never be the same again since coronavirus hit us.
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
30-Jul-2020 08:46 Message #4788020
Good question terry but a difficult one to answer. I think each generation has it's own problems. Today's youth don't have the life or death decisions of a world war (at the moment) and I do think they are better off in most respects. However expectations are far higher than in my youth and also the state of entitlement so many have.
I'm not moaning or saying they have it easy but it is very different and change brings it's own problems for each generation. I do give a lot of one to one advice to the younger generation which I hope helps and that I get it right myself.

I agree with the other poster that hard work is almost always rewarded but it is important to live a life of enjoyment too. Be kind .. kindness brings happiness to yourself and others so whatever problems you might have you might still feel a bit happier in yourself.

Don't take any notice of Facebook, Twitter or newspapers as they are all designed with a finger pointing, vilifying negativity which can only bring you down.
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside
30-Jul-2020 09:46 Message #4788032
Don't sweat the small stuff
Don't hurt anyone
Live love and laugh

Oh and work hard, pay your bills and don't totally trust everything you hear or read on media,
Don't take any drugs one little tablet can kill ya, remember leah Betts, use condoms, keep your drink covered in night clubs, and always stick with your mates when out to make sure you all get home safe,
Male
Seasons-Greetings  Male  Essex
30-Jul-2020 10:43 Message #4788041
if talking to a younger generation do you have any words of experience you'd pass on about the world and how you see it,

Yep.

You're f**d.
Soz !!!
Male
FirmButFair-TrollPatrol  Male  North Yorkshire
30-Jul-2020 13:14 Message #4788050
It's a bit simplistic to say life is what you make it but that is true to a certain extent. We all have some control over our lives.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire
30-Jul-2020 15:36 Message #4788059
I think I would have to say "If you take some responsibility for yourself, life will become easier and better". as well as "Work hard and play hard, and then you'll get results".

I seriously think the youngsters today "want it all, and want it now" but they are not prepared to work at it, to get what they want. Life to them seems to be a big laugh. Its embarrassing to see some of the late teens/early 20's making such an exhibition of themselves in pubs and bars.
Male
BlackMark1  Male  Leicestershire
30-Jul-2020 16:47 Message #4788060
Some good posts. I think the internet and social media has certainly given us a lot of negativity and we have become used to criticising a situation rather than look for answers. So few youngsters seem willing to start at the bottom and work their way up as all youngsters used to do. Working at your first job for a pittance, taking sandwiches for lunch and doing your job while being tea boy as well was all part of growing up in many trades and it produced hard workers with plenty of resolve to stand up for themselves and work for promotion or a better job.
Although I'm a bit past boxing now I still like to help local kids and the hardest thing is getting rid of the negativity which is instilled in them everywhere they look.
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey
30-Jul-2020 17:29 Message #4788064
To be fair in today's economy there are few if any chances to start in "the trades" as an apprentice - as the whole construction sector has switched over past 30/40 yrs to hiring in sub contract labour for each project with lowest bidder being awarded the job - and even then that contractor may elect to sub out the job to an even cheaper bidder who may pay below min wage and cut corners to try to make a buck.

In a nutshell it has become so cut throat that there is no way any major contractor can afford to take on apprentices and have trained workers spend time showing youngsters the ropes. Remember that up to and including part of the 1980s domestic construction was running at a pretty constant high level - due to a combo of Council and Private dwellings being built but by mid/late 80s Council new builds had slowed to a relative trickle.

In the office sector even for a modestly paid job with poor prospects you are expected to have a degree - and in so doing you miss out on 5/6 years work which eg the boomers had under their belt by age 21/22 .

Sadly nowadays the world is awash with literally billions of workers for whom there is no paid work available - whilst in UK many households need both partners in full time work to have a decent standard of living and over half of all households are net takers from the Tax/Welfare system. Whilst the UK min wage has more than doubled since 1999 the average wage is up only around 30% so the differential is narrowing fast. Some 25% of all UK jobs (8 million plus) are only part time - which suggests that the true unemployment level is some 4 million higher effectively. Many jobs in eg Retail/Hospitality/Care sectors would in the past be what people may have taken on for relative "pin money" but which today are often expected to provide a breadwinner type wage.

In short globalisation means that developed nations will likely see falling living standards for many until such time as there is greater equilibrium of living standards with developing/poorer nations - so in many cases workers in currently wealthy nations will be fighting over a bigger slice of a shrinking pie.
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex
30-Jul-2020 20:00 Message #4788073
Words of wisdom to pass on to the next generation. Completely stumped there. If you know what you want, go for it. But expect to work to get it.
Male
Seasons-Greetings  Male  Essex
31-Jul-2020 08:50 Message #4788089
Words of wisdom to pass on to the next generation. Completely stumped there. If you know what you want, go for it. But expect to work to get it.

More like "if you know what you want, go nick it".
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
31-Jul-2020 09:41 Message #4788090
It's a small world.....but it takes ages to walk right round it.......and you may get a bit wet along the way....if you go by certain routes......It takes even longer if you stop along the way for a cuppa....or a climb of Everest....
Female
Greencare  Female  Berkshire
31-Jul-2020 10:03 Message #4788091
Do you have thoughts on the terry?

I'd say work hard but enjoy leisure time too. Be kind to others and they will usually be kind to you. Don't gossip and don't believe anything the media tells you.
Male
Michaelt  Male  Devon
1-Aug-2020 11:14 Message #4788148
Terry, Here's my response to your excellent question.

Via the ballot box through the 80's and 90's "our" generation have bestowed onto young people a market driven, short term, low waged economy culture work base where you never know from one day to the next whether you will have a job the next day, or not. So those spouting on here about young people not wanting to work is social and politically naive to say the very least.

I am a child of the 60's, on leaving school I was never out of work, I found it easy to find work because Britain was a virtually nationalised country under both Labour and left of centre small "c" Conservative governments in my youth.

The election of the late Margaret Thatcher and her low waged, insecure, free market economy culture from the 80's to-date, has fundamentally removed the relative job security my generation enjoyed, and prospered in.

The majority of kids today have not got the job security we had, they havent the council houses we had that were sold off to sitting tenants by Margaret Thatcher during her right to in the 80's, and then Margaret Thatcher stopped building council houses, as a consequence our young people are trapped in the high rent private sector, and open to exploitation by ruthless landlords who can sell up at any time, thus the creation of homelessness.

House prices were much cheaper in my youth, and jobs were more secure than they are today....

Kids today dont stand a chance, their parents and grandparents have made sure their kids wont have, what we all took for granted.

Male
Michaelt  Male  Devon
1-Aug-2020 11:26 Message #4788150
""But expect to work to get it"". My my some among we Brit's certainly enjoy looking down on our own..
Male
Michaelt  Male  Devon
1-Aug-2020 11:30 Message #4788151
Here's another one. ""Hard work never killed anyone so work hard""". Another load of judgemental naive garbage...
Male
Michaelt  Male  Devon
1-Aug-2020 11:33 Message #4788152
Seasons-Greetings, Yes you are completely stumped there. Never mind, if you know what you want to write, write it, but expect to work hard at thinking about seriously, what you want to say. lol...
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire
1-Aug-2020 11:41 Message #4788153
Legitimate concerns in life have changed and are valid. For instance it is much harder to get on the property ladder nowadays and more of the younger generation are being put in a position that they are likely to have to stay at home longer or be stung by greedy landlords making it difficult to save for a deposit.
Male
Michaelt  Male  Devon
1-Aug-2020 11:44 Message #4788154
brisinger, If young people receive means tested housing benefit, its a waste of time saving for a deposit, because savings are taken into account when the authorities calculate how much housing benefit to be allowed to help pay the high private rent.
Male
1-Aug-2020 12:01 Message #4788157
In a nutshell because many products are outsourced to China which are purchased by the older generation where has the work gone? There's no such thing as a job for life anymore and you have to move to different parts of the country (and world) to get work. Something that was not needed to be done in the past. Where I live all the cotton mills have disappeared to China and the older generation is purchasing that. At one time Cheesden Brook had the most mills in Europe. Now there are none. Just ghosts and relics of time gone by.
• Four Acre
• Cheesden Pasture (app. b. 1810)
• Lower Pasture
• Cheesden Bar
• Cheesden Lumb Upper
• Cheesden Lumb Lower
• Longlands
• Croston Close Upper
• Croston Close Lower
• Deeply Hill
• Deeply Vale
• Washwheel
• Bircle Dene
• Kershaw Bridge

...are just a few. You'll find a piece I've written on wikipedia in Bircle.
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey
1-Aug-2020 12:09 Message #4788158
Only a third of Council homes were sold off (from peak UK stock of 6 million as at 1981) - and we still have 4.3 million Social rent homes today allowing for a small tranche of newbuilds in the interim.

Sitting tenants is highly relevant - as if those sitting tenants (with lifelong tenancy agreements) had not used RTB they or their eligible offspring would still be in situ in many cases - so unless we had continued to build large numbers of new Council homes there would be few of the peak tranche from 1981 actually available to any new tenants.

Latest English Housing Survey flags that despite annual voids in SRS of around 365,000 - only 27000 or 7.4% are actually relet to new tenants from the private sector - the other 92% are relet within SRS to existing social tenants.

Plus until 1977 - if you were really poor (too poor to afford full Council rent from net earned income) you would not usually be granted a tenancy - we know that because in 1980 there were only 10% of Council tenants claiming HB - in stark contrast to over 2/3rds today after the 1977 change to needs based tenancy allocation - where the desperate/destitute households get first dibs on available SRS voids. That 1977 change saw SRS become a much residualised tenure - in stark contrast to the previous 60 odd yrs of Council housing when if you were a Council tenant it was almost a cast iron g'tee that you were in full time work and paying your own rent/bills..

Plus when Thatcher came to power we had an 83% top rate of Income Tax - a major disincentive to do well - and with an extra 15% investment income surcharge less incentive to put by for retirement.

The post WW2 era saw many societal changes - eg a massive increase in women in long term paid work outside the home - and one might argue that a surplus of labour is not conducive to workers' bargaining power over wages.

I agree house prices are far dearer in both relative and absolute terms - but there is also far greater contrast in prices when location is factored in. Certainly in the 1960s/70s there was far greater price parity across the country whereas today after deindustrialisation of Midlands/North we see an average 3 bed house in Home Counties at around £400k ish whilst in deprived NE a similar house can be had for less than £20k.

That said the fact is that today the vast majority of UK households live in well appointed self contained properties - in stark contrast to the slum conditions of the 1960s/70s. See link below...

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/gallery/2014/oct/01/below-the-poverty-line-slum-britain-in-the-1960s-in-pictures
https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2017/jul/21/thats-me-picture-manchester-1960s-shirley-baker
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/feb/07/homeless-shelter-charity
Male
1-Aug-2020 12:13 Message #4788159
There's no denying property prices have sky rocketed in the past 10 years. The statistics are there to the point that many banks are trying to find work arounds. People are trying as is evident with peer-to-peer lending companies like Kiva and Funding Circle springing up for more affordable business loans.
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey
1-Aug-2020 12:28 Message #4788160
"more of the younger generation are being put in a position that they are likely to have to stay at home longer or be stung by greedy landlords making it difficult to save for a deposit."

Given the agreed challenge that today's young adults face getting on property ladder - it is just as well that around 1 in 5 UK homes is actually a Private Rental - otherwise most young adults would be obliged to remain in parental home (if they had one that is).

That is esp so since 1977 when allocation of Council homes changed to needs based. That saw HB claimants in SRS mushroom from just 10% in 1980 to around 70% today - and also gave Council landlords carte blanche to double rents every 9 yrs (on long term average since 1979) as there was little tenant opposition to increased rents cos so few tenants had to pay rent!

Remember that from 1915 to late 1980s we had almost 75 yrs of rent caps/controls for PRS - that caused PRS to shrink from 78% of all housing in 1918 to just 8.7% by late 1980s - and in combo with reduced access to Council housing working households faced a great dearth of available rentals at that stage. Things only began to improve when in 1989 the AST was introduced along with market rents - and landlords no longer had to contend with lifelong tenants on peppercorn rents.
Male
1-Aug-2020 12:28 Message #4788161
We f*cked up the family unit and have forced families to be split across the country and unable to spread the load as been laid bare since I became sole carer of LO with Alzheimer's. My brother was forced to move down south to find work whilst I was left up north being the sole primary carer. At one time the family unit would have allowed one to get breaks to recharge ones batteries. Now this is not possible.
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey
1-Aug-2020 12:54 Message #4788162
"brisinger, If young people receive means tested housing benefit, its a waste of time saving for a deposit, because savings are taken into account when the authorities calculate how much housing benefit to be allowed to help pay the high private rent."

Michaelt

You are correct that household savings of £16000 renders you non eligible for means tested housing benefit - but if one's income is so low as to allow a HB/LHA claim there is little likelihood of being able to save anything.

IIRC you can have savings up to £6500 with no impact on benefit eligibility - with each £500 above that seeing a £1 a week benefit reduction (an assumption of net interest of 10.4% pa in place for many years).

Plus childless singletons under age 35 get only the SAR/bedsit rate of LHA.

Overall though around 75% of young adults (18 to 34) no longer live with parents.

DCLG say 75% of FTBs are couples - with CML saying that nationally average FTB earns £38k gross household income and has average 17%/£24k deposit and borrows 3.11 x income.

1 2 3 4 5 6 Next   Last  

Help with conversations