Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

A cat has caught

Covid from its owner

Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside
28-Jul-2020 10:05 Message #4787890
We were warned of this at the beginning, the cats and dog homes saw more people dumping their animals at the beginning, I must also add people also got more animals from rescues as long as lockdown continued, a lockdown pet? What happens when normality starts? Are you taking precautions with your pet?
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
28-Jul-2020 10:16 Message #4787894
It could be worrying if it is confirmed and becomes more widespread. Even more worrying if they discover animals passing covid to humans.
I live with a couple of cats and lovely as they are I would not want to be kissing them or have them sleeping on my bed which are the two things experts are advising against.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
28-Jul-2020 10:29 Message #4787899
Scary, I don't want to have to try and put a face mask on my cats when they go out...
Male
Seasons-Greetings  Male  Essex
28-Jul-2020 11:26 Message #4787907
There's been absolutely no scientific evidence that an infected cat can pass the virus on to a human.
Personally, I would never let my pet (if I had one) especially a dog or cat lick me in the way I see people allowing them e.g. on the lips, face etc. It's not hard to work out where they've probably been licking beforehand!!!
Other than that as long as you maintain good hand hygiene after handling your pet, which you should be doing anyway, there isn't any evidence that you're at any more risk than doing anything else.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire
28-Jul-2020 15:41 Message #4787920
It was horrific in China, when Covid first was taking hold and news it could be caught from unhealthy close contact with wild animals on wet markets, the poor pets were being abandoned and even thrown out of windows. Eventually, those who had evidence it wasn't from pets, managed to calm it down.
Male
AndyMacG  Male  the West Midlands
28-Jul-2020 16:29 Message #4787922
There's been absolutely no scientific evidence that an infected cat can pass the virus on to a human.

There is also no absolute scientific evidence that says you can’t catch the virus from animals.

The only thing i heard early on during the lockdown was that pets should be kept on the lead at all times or at home including cats, this is what i have an issue with, me being vulnerable because of my health and my neighbours cats all seem to use my garden as there toilet i feel more at risk, even though i tell them about their cats and throw the cat sh1t back onto there gardens (which they don’t like) so now it as come to light the virus as been passed from a human to an animal (cat) no doubt before long they’ll be passing it back then we’ll see what happens, there’ll be dumped cats everywhere plenty of spare meat for the Indian and Chinese restaurants ;-) lol

Andy Mac
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire
28-Jul-2020 22:03 Message #4787940
Agree with posters who wouldn't want a pet licking their face. Yuck!
Male
Kimjongun  Male  South Yorkshire
28-Jul-2020 22:57 Message #4787950
No licking, slow down cooking!
Male
Seasons-Greetings  Male  Essex
29-Jul-2020 08:11 Message #4787960
The only thing i heard early on during the lockdown was that pets should be kept on the lead at all times or at home including cats,

From what I understood, the reason for that is that they didn't want people petting someone's overly friendly dog while out for a permitted exercise walk, because the virus could've been transferred to the animals fur. After all, you wouldn't know the virus status of the animal's human owners or where those owners hands had been.
Similarly a cat, which might spend time in other people's gardens.
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
29-Jul-2020 09:58 Message #4787969
Dog walkers find it impossible to pass another dog walker without speaking and invariably making a fuss of each other's dogs while the dogs sniff each other's bottoms.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
29-Jul-2020 10:12 Message #4787971
If both dog walkers hold a dog lead at arms length then the length of the arm and the length of the lead is 2 metres. Dogs are social animals and don't understand lockdown, the doggy walking group I go to couldn't meet and the dogs got really low and miserable, in nature if most of your pack disapears its because they're dead. Now we're out of lockdown the dogs are all happy again as we can meet up and they can be back with their packmates. Its also had an effect on younger dogs like Fearn, who was just getting to grips with the finer points of dog ettiquette and learning other dogs limits and boundaries when it comes to playing, meeting and greeting, she's just starting to get to grips with it again. Hauling your dog away from others makes them aggressive, they think theres something wrong with people and dogs, they take their cues from us, so if we're behaving in an unfriendly manner towards others then so will out dogs and they will vocalise that unfriendliness which leads to other tensions. So all in all I think its best to take distancing precautions, but allow our furry friends to behave with some normality.
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire
29-Jul-2020 10:33 Message #4787975
Cats would be more concerning to me because of the legitimacy of the owners allowing a right to roam.
Female
29-Jul-2020 10:45 Message #4787976
My rescue old cat doesn't leave the garden, she can't climb bt we have cat visitors, they usually just walk along the high fence
Male
FirmButFair-TrollPatrol  Male  North Yorkshire
29-Jul-2020 10:47 Message #4787977
I get what wonderoushen says about doggy friends but I think most concerns are about interactions between strange dogs and random humans stroking or making a fuss of them.
Nobody makes a fuss of a strange cat!

Female
29-Jul-2020 11:01 Message #4787980
I tried to stroke a strange cat visitor and got the scars to prove it, never again, water pistol loaded petmanently

Help with conversations