Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

What Rishi

will tax?

Male
Kimjongun  Male  South Yorkshire
28-Jul-2020 00:29 Message #4787874
Talk about taxing online sales, will this be a new tax?
Plus side it would help the high street.
How is he going to get his money back?
What taxes you think will happen?
Male
Pboro Trevor  Male  Cambridgeshire
28-Jul-2020 09:05 Message #4787877
As a high proportion of sales are now on-line, and from warehouse sites that do not have the same high business rates as town centre shops, a tax on them is justified.

Trevor
Male
zodiac1  Male  Flintshire
28-Jul-2020 09:39 Message #4787884
Kimjongun, do you feel much different since the plastic surgery ?

maybe you can call yourself Goody3Shoes now eh ?

hope you are feeling better anyway.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire
28-Jul-2020 09:39 Message #4787885
I think it's a good idea as long as it isn't ridiculously more expensive. Even 1% could bring in millions, but 20% would reduce sales, but then it could help the high street.
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
28-Jul-2020 10:13 Message #4787893
I buy almost everything online at a fraction of the shop prices. Online sales have very low business overheads so quite rightly so.
I wouldn't mind paying a bit extra on these purchases if it helped get the country back on its feet. So far Rishi has inspired a lot of respect and confidence and I hope that continues as it's just what the country needs at the moment.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
28-Jul-2020 10:26 Message #4787898
I don't think anything will help high streets now, so many shop were already closed before lockdown, now there seems more empty shops than open ones, some havn't reopened, such as charity shops and I don't know if they will. The few shops that are open are a shadow of what they were, TKMAXX had half the stuff they usually do due to a new layout for social distancing, they semed to have all the crap out and nothing anyone actually wanted to buy. People seemed desperate to go there when it was shut and now its such a disapointment, loads of people were going in but most seemed to be leaing without having bought anything. Shops like Curry's carry so little stock anyway it seems like they only have whats on display and you have to order it to be delievered at some future date, thats if they have what you wanted to look at and they don't tell you to go to a shop somewhere miles away or order online. M&S seem to carry an increasingly small range instore and direct you online for other colours and and sizes. I can't remember the last time I bought anything from debenhams.

Its like they've all given up, I know they're left with out of season stock, but why not put it away until autumn? It feels like this is the excuse many shops have been waiting for to get rid of physical stores and go totally online, reduce customer choice and marginalise those with no or poor internet connection.
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey
28-Jul-2020 12:06 Message #4787910
I agree Hen the high street seems beyond help at this stage - Councils have been milking shoppers with extortionate parking charges for decades - whilst data from 2018 shows that 60% of new business start ups fail within 5 years. We do not need more betting shops/charity shops/nailbars/fast food outlets.

I expect major retailers (aside from groceries) will move to having a relative handful of high street showrooms (allowing potential buyers to get touchy feely with actual products before they buy online).

Most electrical retailers for some years have just been passing orders on to wholesale out of town warehouses who then deliver direct - with many items being available next day.

Before the internet era retailers may have been able to get away with less than competitive pricing - but no longer does that apply when you need only spend a few minutes online to have the cheapest seller of your branded goods deliver to your door within a few days or even next day.

As far as taxes go - if we collectively want the same amount of services provided in future then as society changes it's major habits then taxes will hit different aspects.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire
28-Jul-2020 15:48 Message #4787921
"Councils have been milking shoppers with extortionate parking charges for decades "

too true.

when lockdown happened all parking charges here were scrapped, people could again park in town on double yellows [no enforcement] and due to the road layout traffic flowed ok.
people seemed to be happier to be able to pull up outside the shop they wanted to go to [of those that were open].
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
28-Jul-2020 18:46 Message #4787924
There do need to be some shops so as people can try stuff out, I can't imagine buying a sofa or bed without being able to see if it comfortable, not doing so seems a good way to make some very expensive mistakes. But I'd like to be able to try on clothes and shoes too and that seems less and less likely as time goes on. Most shops seem to sell such a narrow range of stuff, clothes are all the same style and colours, you'd think with something as huge as the internet it would be easier to get what what you want, but it just seems like more places to get the same stuff.
Male
Kimjongun  Male  South Yorkshire
28-Jul-2020 19:34 Message #4787927
Zodiac1.
I am well thank you, they say surgery success.
Its amazing what they can do nowadays.
Hope you are well too, you should try it.
I not tested everything yet, but all works so far.

Good point from Trevor in Peterboro, they hammer high street, but not touch online sales yet.
So its got to happen.
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex
30-Jul-2020 20:05 Message #4788074
What is the point. People will just stop using it so much. I'd rather get a book from a book shop than online, and if the price is the same I'll use the shop.

Same with everything, I'd rather see it before buying. And shops will deliver. Often free delivery over a certain amount.
Male
Colonel_Blink  Male  Buckinghamshire
30-Jul-2020 22:02 Message #4788077
I dont think they will raise the taxes on internet sales so much it prevents the internet from remaining much more competitive than high street shops.
Rishi Sunak has shown himself to be very competent so far.

Help with conversations