Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Free Thinkers

Only free thinkers and alternative thinkers. Not the opposite!

1 2 Next   Last  

Male
Redfoxcountry  Male  Leicestershire
26-Jul-2020 12:46 Message #4787764
It is increasingly hard to make friends, or even find, free thinkers.Those of us who don't believe all they see and read. That are aware of the bigger picture.
Male
Kimjongun  Male  South Yorkshire
26-Jul-2020 13:27 Message #4787768
What is big picture in your opinion?
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex
26-Jul-2020 13:42 Message #4787771
Sometimes, what you see and read, is what you should not believe! Unless the other man's story is also presented. Which is rare.
Male
26-Jul-2020 13:46 Message #4787773
I think most people have common sense, some people not.
Conspiracy theory person not believe anything at all, most of them are fruity cake.
I like fruit cake, also fruit and fresh cream.
What your big picture Foxy?
Female
26-Jul-2020 13:58 Message #4787775
How can some people have common sense and wear bandana?

People with no common sense believe conspiracy theories.

Who is Foxy?
Female
26-Jul-2020 14:12 Message #4787777
Ok, Redfoxcountry.
Male
zodiac1  Male  Flintshire
26-Jul-2020 14:42 Message #4787780
some not all the time there
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside
26-Jul-2020 15:01 Message #4787781
The problem with free thinkers are that they don't believe what they read or see, so they believe the opposite and challenge people who have a free thought opposite to theirs, so not much of free thinkers more of just another like minded group
Male
Colonel_Blink  Male  Buckinghamshire
26-Jul-2020 16:19 Message #4787783
I see the words "free thinkers" and only see people willing to listen to themselves.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire
26-Jul-2020 17:57 Message #4787791
Nothing is free, as is frequently pointed out on here, also I'm of the opinion very few people believe what they see or read, frequently people are derided as being thoughtless or 'sheeple', those traits may be correct but that doesn't mean they believe all they see and read, more that they feel they have no influence on it so no point overthinking it; it would be interesting to know what is considered 'the bigger picture' in the context mentioned.

Making friends is something different I think, there's nothing stops us having friends with different thoughts and ideas to our own; friendship is created by an emotion whereas thought tends to be a cerebral process.
To make friends we must be able to accept, and that acceptance might have to be that someone doesn't want friendship with us.
I think too often we use these as excuses when we are unwilling to recognise or accept friendship when offered. Of course, that then opens up the whole discussion of what is meant by friendship?
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire
26-Jul-2020 18:59 Message #4787798
Good post Terry, maybe poster should consider his opinion.
Why does a friend have to be a free thinker?
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire
26-Jul-2020 19:13 Message #4787801
I think I see what you mean Redfoxcountry, but it might be a bit lost in translation because those maybe with lack of free thinking will often read the implication of the words and believe their first impression, without thinking around the potential of the meaning.

I don't think it's all bad to believe what we read, but it is sad that not everyone questions what they read first, to consider if it is absolutely true (which is not always possible to determine), but then those lacking in.. perhaps open mindedness might replace free thinking... will jump to the first conclusion that makes sense in their head.

Maybe too, free thinkers, can tie themselves in knots thinking around the periphery of everything?
Overthinking can also lead to automatic negative thinking?

Maybe sometimes maintaining friendships is also accepting the good bits along with some bits not always liked?
Maybe it is more important to not like everything but still have friends we can trust, and it's better to have friends that can be trusted than like 100% about them?
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
26-Jul-2020 22:15 Message #4787812
Don't we all believe we are free thinkers? Anyone with a different opinion is most likely just a sheep or a follower lol. Such is life.
I don't understand why our friends have to be similar to us as I find the opposite is often desirable. I like friends who have different opinions.
Male
27-Jul-2020 01:02 Message #4787817
Gilpin, I give you bandana.
It improve your common sense.
I now have snood, so I am happy shopper.

Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire
27-Jul-2020 06:53 Message #4787818
Red fox country used to be a very regular contributor to MSE - how are you doing RFC - hope you are well
V x
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
27-Jul-2020 07:43 Message #4787821
My own interpretation of free thinking......Thinking in your own kind of way.....is something that all of us should have to some extent.....although, in society in general, you often aren't allowed to 'not conform' with the normal....

We are taught at school.....Generally the same stuff.....The same principles....Science....Religion ( whichever religion it is )....Some go to Church....Sunday school etc....Taught from the book....

Any questions.....get answered roughly the same way.....Pointing you in the same direction....

When you're old enough....and are able to question the 'normal'.....even then....you usually have to conform to the 'normal'.....Work dress code etc.....All work rules....

In some occupations....free thinking is encouraged....More than that....it is essential.....In most occupations though....Conformity rules.....It's drilled in to us.....It has been since childhood....

Any 'free thinking' is often looked upon as 'rebelling'....as 'trouble making'.....as attention seeking.....Sometimes justified...sometimes not.....There's always someone to come along and try and lock up your free thinking.....There's always someone offended.....Accusations of disrespect etc....

I can be a conformist....and sometimes a rebel.....I have my own views on a lot of things.....Some of those views are weird and wacky.....some are as conventional as they come......A right mixture......Often common sense tell you which to use....as and when.....but sometimes common sense goes out the window....
Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region
27-Jul-2020 08:34 Message #4787824
"It is increasingly hard to make friends, or even find, free thinkers."

I see what you mean, the only thing I'd add is that if you surround yourself with "free thinkers" what ever that means, you will live in some what of an echo chamber!

I believe that you can be good friends with opposite opinions and beliefs, and can also be very beneficial to your own.... emmmm.... well being?
Male
Pboro Trevor  Male  Cambridgeshire
27-Jul-2020 09:00 Message #4787825
According to some intellectuals there has been no such thing or people as free thinkers since the late 20th Century, as we are all guided by our upbringing.

Trevor
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
27-Jul-2020 10:50 Message #4787829
Good post Tumbles, as someone who's frequently been seen as an attention seeking, trouble making rebel because I question the things that others think of as unquestionable, I've often had to make the choice between having friends and having the freedom to think and believe as I do. I often have to ask myself do I want these people as friends if the price of that friendship is conformity to a set of beliefs and values that I disagree with, do things I don't enjoy just to fit in. Usually the answers no, these others might be perfectly nice, good people, but their not good for me, so I talk about dogs with them and other surface things we have in common, but not really anything deeper.

Having ASD makes making friends hard, theres so many things I just don't get and everyone with ASD is different, so whilst I don't get competitiveness, another might be intensly competitive. Neurotypicals seem so conformist, its like having all the breathe squeezed out of me, since being diagnosed I've thought a lot about the people I chose as friends and those who want me as a friend, theres a lot of arseholes looking for a human being to attach themselves too out there, I can be enough of an arse by myself without the help! I realised I'd rather be a lone tree flourishing to its fullest size and potential, than a forest tree surrounded by others competing for light and space. I want my branches to be able to twist and turn and be wonky of thats whats needed, even if it means I'm more prone to lightening strikes with no one to shelter me.

Basically I've spent to much of my life feeling lonely in a crowd, censoring what I say, what I wear etc to fit in with other peoples ideas of what I should and ought to be. Now I feel free to be me and if that upsets others then thats thier choice, I'd rather be alone and free than trapped in a crowd.
Female
27-Jul-2020 16:33 Message #4787845
Yes, everyone thinks they are free thinkers, but then perhaps it's how individuals open themselves up to being influenced constructively. That is, I mean being in recognition that such influence should be discerning and come from independent investigation of thought rather than being influenced to belong to a clique.

I think people with ASD have a gift of their own honesty within, compelling them to follow what they see as the truth, even if they lose friends over the consequences.

I do think in some types of autism, and even those neurotypical for other reasons, friends have to be exceptionally special in sticking around and recognise their insightful and freethinking friend might sometimes stretch their own boundaries, and that takes a bit of extra staying power and proactive communication.
Male
FirmButFair-TrollPatrol  Male  North Yorkshire
27-Jul-2020 17:23 Message #4787846
Because everyone thinks they are a free thinker it's almost impossible to have a constructive conversation unless someone steps up to say they are not a free thinker and that they usually follow outside influences.
I regularly meet readers of the Guardian and Mail who are completely indoctrinated with their news source but they will still tell you they are free thinkers.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
27-Jul-2020 18:48 Message #4787849
I often find my big picture is different from some elses, neither of our pictures are wrong, but maybe theres a a different colour scheme and composition. Things I find very important don't register with someone else and vice versa, for example I love to cook, others hate it and can't undestand why I love it so much, although they are often glad when presented with a homemade treat. I can't get why people don't love cooking, but then maybe they love doing something I dislike, its about being open enough to accept differences and find ways of working with each other instad of polarising everything.

RFC, what do you class as free thinkers, what does your bigger picture look like?
Female
27-Jul-2020 20:02 Message #4787854
Well the Daily Mail and The Guardian belong to a political leaning, but then it's the chicken and the egg. Some might believe what they read and trust the journalist or author to be telling them their view on things, the free thinker would question it, even if they agree with it, to challenge their own bigger picture.

Then the free thinker would think independently and the mind would float about like a butterfly, landing on one suggestion, then on another, research it, then see if the opinion or evidence is backed up to rationalise one's own thoughts and be prepared to shift and adjust.
Female
27-Jul-2020 21:45 Message #4787863
A free thinking person they way is one that does not form opinions based on what they're told, or are supposed, to form their opinions on. Such as the traditional view, religion view, authority. They don't accept without question what others tell them is true. They research and make up their own minds. I'm very likely a free-thinker, up to a point.
Female
27-Jul-2020 21:52 Message #4787864
First sentence should be …. A free thinking person they "say".

1 2 Next   Last  

Help with conversations