Conversation Arts and Entertainment
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

A suitable Boy

Vikram Seth

Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire
25-Jul-2020 19:08 Message #4787713
This Sunday BBC1 will be premiering the seminal 'A Suitable Boy' a very Indian affair: based on the best-selling novel by Vikram Seth and directed by one of India’s most acclaimed film-makers, Mira Nair, and featuring an all-Indian cast. However a row has broken out over the choice of screenwriter to adapt Seth’s sprawling tale into a primetime period drama. It is Andrew Davies, who is white.
Seth hit back at critics in strong terms who were saying the Indian story should have a brown screenwriter. He said: 'Colour should have nothing to do with it'.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire
25-Jul-2020 21:47 Message #4787727
This is where I find racism confusing.

It would seem odd for a white person to play an Asian role in such a performance, we have an Ebony magazine for black people, but it is racist to not accept a non-white person in something in white history where black or Asian people were not part of society such as in a Bronte drama?

I do think writing might not have colour, unless the writer is deficient in their representation and insight, but then that could happen within one colour. Could I write authentically as a Welsh or French person?
Female
Molly  Female  Essex
25-Jul-2020 21:52 Message #4787728
Colour should have nothing to do with it. Would authentic writing be different if it was representing a black or white Welshman or a black or white Frenchman?
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
26-Jul-2020 08:35 Message #4787741
Insults, slurs and slights can always be found or imagined if that is the aim.
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex
26-Jul-2020 19:12 Message #4787800
If Vikram Seth wrote it, I guess it's his call. If he is satisfied what does it matter the colour of the screenwriter!
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire
26-Jul-2020 19:17 Message #4787803
Maybe writers in this situation are more collators and take advice from those living within a certain culture or colour?
I am amazed at the insight of many writers, so who knows?
I'm sure the culture of those he is writing about would soon speak out if not authentic?
Male
26-Jul-2020 20:22 Message #4787811
It's one of the few TV programmes I'm looking forward to this year. The phone is off the hook from 9pm tonight. If it's anything like the book it should be worth watching. It's one of the few I advise put on people's 'to read' list when asked. It's a big read so will be interesting how they edit it to authenticity.
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
26-Jul-2020 22:20 Message #4787813
Insults, slurs and slights can always be found or imagined if that is the aim.

Ain't that the truth. There will always be someone who objects on psuedo-racial grounds and create a rift which doesn't exist.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire
27-Jul-2020 06:56 Message #4787819
some nice scenery - I only saw the trailers - will try & watch it later in week I hope.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire
27-Jul-2020 21:03 Message #4787858
Watched it tonight - I liked it. Could be a good series.
Male
28-Jul-2020 14:07 Message #4787918
It will be interesting how closely they will show the harrowing mutual genocide described in the book between Hindus and Muslims as as result of partition of India and Pakistan.

Help with conversations