Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

A parent has called

Their child lucifer

Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside
24-Jul-2020 18:46 Message #4787633
Would ya? Or as religion is at an all time low do you think it matters in today's world,? Do kids even know what lucifer is portrayed as?
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
24-Jul-2020 18:53 Message #4787635
Well they can't complain if he's a little devil then can they?

Joking aside, I think its a bit strange and Lucifer if portrayed in a number of ways, from Lightbringer to the horns and tail of Christian belief.
Female
leogirl  Female  Essex
25-Jul-2020 00:50 Message #4787648
He will probably be know as Lucy when he goes to school - which is even worse ! poor kid .
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire
25-Jul-2020 01:08 Message #4787650
I wouldn't because it's the type of thing that gets a child picked on.
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
25-Jul-2020 09:15 Message #4787666
I suppose if they chose it for the 'right' reasons....the Latin meaning....then that might be better.....but they do seem to be doing the media rounds......complaining etc....I'm not sure whether that is them instigating it.....or the media....
Female
KatieBubbles  Female  West Sussex
25-Jul-2020 09:25 Message #4787669
Choosing a baby's name should be fun and could be very meaningful but I do think it is the responsibility of the parent to choose a name which will be acceptable and not target your child at school for bullying. A lot of kids adopt new names or nicknames when they reach their teens.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire
25-Jul-2020 09:25 Message #4787670
I would guess it'll be shortened to Luke pretty quickly, and don't forget, some people are called Jesus....wonder if that gets shortened to Jez?
Female
25-Jul-2020 11:46 Message #4787693
I think Jesus as a name is more common in Spanish speaking countries, I don't know why we don't use it in this country when we use apostles names, saints names, Mary and Joseph and angel names.
Male
25-Jul-2020 11:55 Message #4787695
The 'Jesus' ones that I have known about.....through sports and things.....seem to be pronounced something like 'Hay Zus'

I'm not sure if that's how we should be pronouncing the 'big one'.....
Female
25-Jul-2020 11:58 Message #4787698
Its one of the oddities of language that Spanish speaking peoples pronounce J as H and have different empasis on where letters in words are placed.
Female
Sea  Female  Essex
25-Jul-2020 14:47 Message #4787701
If you actually forget the meaning then it doesn't sound too bad...as a girls name but not for a boy. It kind of rhymes with Jennifer. For a boy though it will be shortened to Lucy or Luce and will lead to teasing just for that fact to start with, especially if there is a girl in the class called Lucy. It is as he gets older that children will become aware of the true meaning of Lucifer. I read that this name was rejected by the register at first but they appealed. In some countries there is a list of names that are acceptable and if not on the list you cannot use it. Maybe with some of the weird names around these days there should be a list here? Although there again if there was, we would never had had a Rudyard Kipling for example, which go exceedingly well together but the first on its own, not so good.
Male
25-Jul-2020 17:27 Message #4787710
Since The Omen....and then the running theme in Only Fools....the name Damien has a bit of a reputation....even though there's a few around....Damien Hirst.....Damien Lewis....and a few others...
Female
25-Jul-2020 18:39 Message #4787711
I remember that too tumbled, but I think people have largely forgotten that association now.

Like you Sea, I've sometimes wondered if there should be a list of names and have thought not for similar reasons to you. I think lists could be manipulated by those in power to easily, like when Franco insisted all children should have the name Maria as either a first or second name. But some choices do seem very strange, I remember when I first heard the name Mercades and wondered why someone had named thier daughter after a car, the same with Portia, but both are perfectly valid names.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire
25-Jul-2020 20:28 Message #4787717
Lucifer - bliddy stupid - sound like a pussy cat- I wonder what the surname is. Would sound even worse with Higgingbottom or
Braithwaite or even Smith

Female
Greencare  Female  Berkshire
26-Jul-2020 00:49 Message #4787731
Odd names are popular these days especially with famous parents. I think these names are more a status symbol for the parents than a choice with the child in mind.
Female
26-Jul-2020 11:01 Message #4787757
Could be worse Vic, the family name could be Burns, lol.
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire
27-Jul-2020 21:34 Message #4787862
One of my nieces has Portia as a middle name, WH. I was a bit taken aback when an Italian I knew many years ago told me his full name. He had about 5 Christian names, including Maria and Teresa!

I seem to remember a spate of odd names a few years ago making the news. I think Clamydia was deemed to be unacceptable. The parents didn't know what it was but thought it sounded pretty. A female relative of mine was registered by her father as Justin. Her mother had said Justine. Luckily her second monicker got spelt correctly, so she used that.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire
27-Jul-2020 23:56 Message #4787870
Whatever you call a kid, the others will think up something for a nickname. Says the voice of experience. My school nickname is a well kept secret, but I can tell you that it is nothing like my real first name or second name, doesn't rhyme with either and no actual word association, just completely random and not even a girl's name. Someone thought it was funny at the time and it stuck.
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside
28-Jul-2020 09:30 Message #4787880
My name at school was, the Polish girl, simple lol
A guy at work was called H, and as it was nothing like his birth name I wondered why,
Turns out that twice he, d been hit by a bus that was numbered 10H, so people started shouting H when they saw him, jokingly, it stuck lol
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire
28-Jul-2020 09:53 Message #4787889
Lol at W/hen..... 'Lucifer Burns'

i have 4 christian names.... whatever were my parents thinking of. And then there's my surname.... Mrs Bouquet comes to mind.
Female
28-Jul-2020 10:35 Message #4787901
I only have one forename and plenty of people think having one name is odd, as if my parents were uncaring or something, rather than that they had enough trouble coming up with one name they liked and they wouldn't of known what to call me if I had been a boy.

Help with conversations