Conversation Health and Wellbeing
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Covid in the family

A bit of a surprise

Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire
24-Jul-2020 13:22 Message #4787606
My son-in-law, J A, suffers from hay fever. It is common for him to suffer from a lack of taste and smell during his most sensitive time of year. This year, unusually, his taste and smell has not yet come back, so he had a consultation with his doctor who decided to first rule out the possibility of Covid19. Much to his surprise, although testing negative for the virus he has tested positive for the antibodies! They are going to do some further testing to see if there is an additional possible cause of the problem.

Anyway, regarding the presumed Covid infection, he has not at any time had any other syprtoms. In spite of being a newly-wed (October 2019) and the couple intending to start a family ASAP (i.e very close contact!) it does not seem to have been passed to my daughter, although she has not been tested. The start of the lack of taste and smell was at the beginning of March, a few days after they had attended a friend's wedding. This was back in the days when people were aware of Covid19 but it was still mostly operating "under the radar" and the taste/smell effect was not recognised as a sympton. They did become aware that several people had become ill after the wedding (NOT food poisoning) but nobody even considered Corona virus.

If he did contract Covid 19 at the wedding then it is interesting that he still has antibodies 5 months later. It is also very surprising that he does not seem to have passed it on to my daughter. I don't know if she can get an antibody test but it would be useful for her to know if she has had it as she is in a fairly vulnerable category with respiratory problems and has been worrying a lot as she is a Primary school teacher of 4 to 5 year olds.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire
24-Jul-2020 13:29 Message #4787607
It makes sense to me because if you vaccinate someone against a disease it has actively caused antibodies but they don't get the disease.

If someone is passively become immune, it means they have come across a low dose of the disease, not caught the disease, because the body has built up antibodies to prevent the disease. He will have a natural form of immunisation.

The problem we have with Covid, is they suspect various strains and don't know if one immunity works with other strains, and they don't yet know if immunity lasts long enough to provide protection long term.

The MMR is a good example of a viral immunisation because unlike other vaccinations the second dose doesn't boost the first dose. It is just a second introduction to the very weak and almost dead virus doesn't always initiate a response to one dose (only 45%), whereas a second exposure often works where the first did nothing (to 85%).
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey
24-Jul-2020 13:46 Message #4787613
Not sure I would be wanting to start a family right now given the circumstances outlined - unless the female is getting borderline too old to conceive.

I would also have reservations about going from a 2 income household to a one income household in present dire economy - unless they have very low outgoings - eg a mortgage free house.
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire
24-Jul-2020 14:23 Message #4787615
She has the same concerns Boydel but the clock is definitely ticking as regards starting a family. I have my concerns as she is the main breadwinner and I'm not sure how they would manage in the best of times, let alone under current circumstances, especially as they are preparing to take on a horrendous mortgage. When my husband and I decided to have children it was assumed I would go back to work, which following a hospital cock-up plus a recession just did not happen. Our income halved.
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey
24-Jul-2020 14:36 Message #4787616
I had been planning to query who was main breadwinner - but concluded either could do child minding so it was irrelevant.

Have they already been approved for the new larger mortgage - or is it just a plan to upscale to bigger property? Lenders may not be as generous with salary multiples in current climate and may also want chunky deposit as buffer against a potentially falling market.

Outside London average FTB is borrowing a tad over 3 x household income of gross £38k with average 17%/£24k deposit - but in London the numbers are 3.8 x household income of gross £60k with 30%/£100k deposit.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
24-Jul-2020 19:00 Message #4787638
About march I had terrible body aches, I felt like I'd been hit by a bus or something, it went after a few days and I thought well at least its not this covid thing, then a couple of months later I found out that body aches are a symptom even if you have no others such as sore throat and a temperature. My gp thinks I may have had it although without a test theres no way of knowing, I wonder how many people have had it and not known?
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire
24-Jul-2020 19:28 Message #4787641
I think it would be really helpful to us and scientists if antibody tests were widespread.

I know they have had an offer on a property accepted but not their situation re a mortgage. They are having a problem selling his little flat, which would presumably be most of the deposit, so things are up in the air at the moment.
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey
25-Jul-2020 09:09 Message #4787665
OK so nil commitment thus made either way on property purchase - but in current low interest rate era the plus side is that you can borrow say £300k over 25 yrs Repayment basis with weekly payments of around £300 or £1300 pcm. The main hurdle is that high street lenders will only go to around 4.5 x gross household income which would need an income of say £67k

Across Home Counties rent on a Council 3 bed semi will be around £150 weekly - but higher rent for new builds.

In Kingston a new build 2 bed Housing Assoc flat has rent £1000 pcm - reflecting current land/build costs - as well as Govt subsidy being cut from 75% to 14% over past 30 years.

Help with conversations