Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

When you buy something new

Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
22-Jul-2020 13:29 Message #4787456
Anything new....for instance....cookers, kettles, heaters, mobiles, dvd player, washing machine, fridge, freezer, anything else you can think of.....

Are you someone who.....reads all the instructions carefully?....

Or are you a 'can't wait to get stuck in' kind of person.....Keen to get it going....Eager....etc

For some things.....it all seems straightforward.....you've seen it all before....or have you?.....There may be updates to this model....and you need to read about it perhaps.....

For other things....it's quite complex....You need the instructions.....but do you try to work it out yourself....A sort of 'con't want to waste time on reading.....I'll do that later.....I want to get it working.....now.....

Some instructions are for health and Safety......They have to include them.....even though the average person doesn't need telling the basics etc.....
Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region
22-Jul-2020 16:51 Message #4787471
Nope.... Just got a new set of Sony Headphones an hour ago.... Instructions went in the bin still in the packet!

I don't like reading. As a last resort I'll read the instructions.
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey
22-Jul-2020 17:30 Message #4787474
Unfortunately nowadays health and safety related instructions seem aimed at toddlers - so you get a quarter inch thick booklet telling you the obvious when all you need is a half A4 sheet with a few crucial bullet points.
Female
leogirl  Female  Essex
22-Jul-2020 18:32 Message #4787484
I had too many occasions that I though " when everything else fails, read the instructions " Now I like to read instructions first to avoid regrets.

leogirl.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia
22-Jul-2020 18:32 Message #4787485
I don't read them but I do keep all instruction booklets in a little folder for future reference.
That sounds kinda sad really....
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey
22-Jul-2020 18:41 Message #4787486
Not sad just sensible really - very easy to forget what plug goes where etc with today's electronic gizmos.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
22-Jul-2020 18:46 Message #4787489
RTFM, well sometimes, mum always keeps all the paperwork and manuals that come with anything, most of the stuff I buy are replacements for things like kettles and toasters and if those things ever get so complicated I need a manual to tell me how to work them then I'll shoot myself! I dread getting things like new pooters or tv's, I don't know how to set them up and most of them don't come with instructions now anyway, they're supposed to be intuitive, I don't know who's intuition they're using but its not mine.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire
22-Jul-2020 21:12 Message #4787508
I can never understand instructions - I use U tube instead
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon
22-Jul-2020 21:49 Message #4787512
Instructions are too often written by someone who obviously hasn't got English as their first language.
Male
Colonel_Blink  Male  Buckinghamshire
23-Jul-2020 07:42 Message #4787522
Not only written in badly written English but with only a minimal amount of wording on a scrap of paper rather than the small booklet of the past. For decent instructions of more complex products You usually have to find them online.
I usually have a brief scan of any instructions if they come with the product.
Female
23-Jul-2020 11:29 Message #4787548
I don't think English is their third or fourth language either from some of the instructions I've seen, I think instructions are translated by a form of Chinese whispers rather than any real concern for the operation of the appliance.
Male
Seasons-Greetings  Male  Essex
23-Jul-2020 13:06 Message #4787553
Lets face it, many simple electrical products don't exactly need any instructions a toaster, is a toaster, is a toaster but I tend to keep most of the paperwork for any new products as the Guarantee/Warranty blurb is usually at the back.
Especially with products from e.g. Aldi & Lidl giving you a 3 year warranty it's sensible to keep it with the proof of purchase in case it's needed.
But I've found that most tech stuff like smart phones etc. have online manuals which is much easier for the manufacturer to keep current and saves so much unwanted paper being thrown away.
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
23-Jul-2020 17:19 Message #4787565
Hang on a minute Seasons-Greeting .. a toaster is a toaster? Next you'll be telling me you don't need the instructions to use a microwave! :)
Female
Sea  Female  Essex
25-Jul-2020 15:38 Message #4787707
A toaster is a toaster Seasons Greatings? Well I bought a kettle once and thought a kettle was just a kettle but it wastn't. Had seen a half price cream one in Sainsbury's which I bought on a whim. Thought it looked nicer than my stainless steel one. But couldn't get the thing to work. Instructions said minimum of three cups of water or automatic cut out. Then twenty minutes before you could use it again. My old one, you only need to put one cup of water in. Thankfully I didn't throw it out. I think I only managed to get it to work once. I was shouting at the thing, look you have more than three cups of water, why are you not working? It seemed to continually keep cutting out. Now if I had guests I would be saying, sorry you have a twenty min wait for the kettle to kick into action....er, um, it could be another twenty minutes now etc. etc. I took the thing back and got my money back. The cashier did not seem at all surprised. A reason it was half price but why does something simply have to become complicated and you need to read the instructions and even they do not help? Think I will hang onto my old one for a long time. At least it does what I tell it to. I don't need automatic cut outs, I just want it stop, when the water boils.

Female
25-Jul-2020 18:44 Message #4787712
A kettle should be a kettle and a toaster a toaster, people complicate things to much when all we want is just want a hot drink and toast in the morning. I think the people who over complicate things must have some kind of bizarre death wish whereby large parts of the population want to batter them to death with thier over designed objects.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire
25-Jul-2020 20:38 Message #4787719
I have a lovely 'spare' microwave which a friend gave me, along with the instructions. Its an ATAG and the instructions are in English despite being Dutch, but I cannot get it to work. I am still having to use my Kenwood which is past its best, but does still work. I have tried reading the instructions but think I am a bit stupid.
Male
Seasons-Greetings  Male  Essex
25-Jul-2020 21:37 Message #4787726
My kettle is one you use on the gas hob.
No minimum water level and definitely no instructions required.

Help with conversations