Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Are you

having a barf?

Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
22-Jul-2020 10:00 Message #4787425
The word Barf......I was reading something about fermented fruit juice.....and the word 'barf' appeared a few times....I'd not heard of it.....so looked it up....and it seems to mean 'Throw up/vomit'

I've only looked at a few explanations of it.....but I'm not sure where it comes from.....Perhaps I will look further....

Have you ever heard of it?.....or used it?.....instead of the other alternatives....Is it one of those 'new street type' words?...

It initially sounded like it could be used in a cockney rhyming slang kind of way.....for 'are you having a laugh?'.....Are you avin a Barf?....

Do you use cockney rhyming slang?......or variations of it?.....

Is there local slang that you use?
Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region
22-Jul-2020 10:48 Message #4787428
Barf I think is more American.... In the first Home Alone movie they guy says something like "Give me a bowl I'm going to barf!"

I probably do use a lot of slang, but it's just normal language to me.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia
22-Jul-2020 10:53 Message #4787431
Yeah I've heard of it before but can't say I use it.
Fap is another odd word but I have no idea what that means.... lol
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
22-Jul-2020 11:35 Message #4787443
I remember it being used when I was a teenager, I've always thought it was American. I thought Cockney Rhyming Slang for 'are you having a laugh?' was 'are you having a giraffe?'

Berkshire, Wiltshire and Gloucestershire you'd dap a ball rather than pat or tap it, you'd also wear daps, otherwise known as pumps or plimsoles.

In South Wales and Herefordshire the word, yere, is used for many purposes, you have yeres on the side of your head, there are 12 months in a yere, you come over yere, or more properly yere come over yere.

Here people give you a row if they have a go at you justified or not.
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire
24-Jul-2020 13:39 Message #4787610
And there was me thinking the answer was "Yes, because I don't have access to a shower"!
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside
24-Jul-2020 18:40 Message #4787629
Aelyi thought the same lol I think barf is an awful word I will stick to vomit lol
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
25-Jul-2020 08:22 Message #4787654
I am aware of the word but never heard it being used.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire
25-Jul-2020 20:46 Message #4787722
I have never heard of it.
I hate to hear people saying 'anyfing, or anythink' - I cringe when I hear it.

Help with conversations