Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Are you any good at DIY?

Male
CircusMaximus  Male  North Yorkshire
18-Jul-2020 23:15 Message #4787196
What was your last project?
Male
Kimjongun  Male  South Yorkshire
19-Jul-2020 01:23 Message #4787203
DIY is personal subject.
Billy Connolly used to say, when he diy.
That he put a pile of furniture in front of the door.
And if someone enter room, you will find it embarrassing to explain.
But not as embarrassing as if you had to explain, what you were actually doing!
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire
19-Jul-2020 01:25 Message #4787205
What was your last project?

A shelf. I put it up and filled it with books - and it stayed up.
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside
19-Jul-2020 08:53 Message #4787223
Well done Mr quiet that is an achievement lol they didn't slide off,
I, m nearly finished with building my own pagoda in the garden, jwith seating area just about another days work should do it to make sure it's secure for the winter
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
19-Jul-2020 10:28 Message #4787235
I'm not too bad. I have an ability to build or repair quickly using whatever tools and bits I have laying around at the time. Some might think I bodge but I think I'm 50% talented and 50% luck.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
19-Jul-2020 10:46 Message #4787243
Frozen sholders have put a stop to me doing things like decorating, most other stuff I know enough about to know I know the best thing to do is leave it to the experts. I used to be able to build walls, both bricks and mortar and drystone, lay patios and stuff, but no more.
Male
Pboro Trevor  Male  Cambridgeshire
19-Jul-2020 11:08 Message #4787256
I used to be, but lack of practice in recent years has seen a decline in my skills.

Trevor
Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region
19-Jul-2020 11:25 Message #4787258
Not particularly good at it no...

Changed another single socket into a double socket in my house. Done one into a brick wall, and the one last week into a plasterboard wall. Got another three to do into brick. Hopefully soon!

Repaired a broken fence.

Fitted a new door mirror on my car. Fitted new window wiper arms on my mums car.... Got a tail light on my car to do soon.

Youtube helps so much!
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire
19-Jul-2020 11:50 Message #4787260
last project was laying a concrete base and erecting a metal shed...good fun as it was like a giant puzzle with all the various bits and pieces and numerous panels.

i can turn my hand to most things...i could change a car engine in half a day, fencing, bricklaying, decorating etc.

i only do basic electrical and dont touch gas, and have never plastered [but ive been plastered ;¬)].
Female
Topaz53  Female  Northamptonshire
19-Jul-2020 13:22 Message #4787269
I learnt a lot about DIY when I divorced over 20 years ago and ended up in rented accommodation.

The only thing I knew about wallpapering was from watching my dad as a child. He used to show me all the little tips and I was fascinated.

The first wallpaper I ever put up was "workshop" ......Well of course it would be ...it was the 90s after all. Lol

I was determined to cover this awful brown wallpaper in the bathroom....which wasn't exactly rocket science , as I could hardly go wrong .

I remember putting up a "border" in the kitchen ...I was clueless as to how I should work with it off the roll and must have looked like a cartoon character attempting it.

By the time I left that house I was an accomplished painter and decorater...

I have done wallpapering and painting within the last couple of years but I'm done with all that..
I just get in "a man that can"
go out for the day and come back to a freshly decorated flat...
Ta dah ;)
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire
19-Jul-2020 21:10 Message #4787299
Yes, I am fairly good at DIY. At my previous house, I tiled the bathrooms and the kitchen. I decorated the whole house.I repointed the chimney and replaced some ridge tiles after the hurricane. I did the drawings for 3 extensions to that house & got them passed.
I fitted the carpets in the bedrooms. Had to get someone in to do the lounge as it was too big. I dug out a garden pond. I designed the garden and planted everything where I wanted it. I became pretty good at clearing blocked drains when living alone & rewiring any electrical items that broke down.

When I was young my husband taught me how to decoke a car which I managed to do quite a lot over the years, replacing engines sometimes, pistons, p/rings,valves, headgaskets , setting tappets, changing exhausts. Then I tried spraying cars , and did that for about 6 years as a side line job.
I started a small business making & designing childrens clothes when first married, but didnt continue due to personal reasons.

Because I am an artist, I think I am better at designing things.
Female
KatieBubbles  Female  West Sussex
19-Jul-2020 23:16 Message #4787317
I don't do a lot of diy but I am good at building furniture.
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire
20-Jul-2020 16:35 Message #4787348
I don't do much these days. I finished redecorating the house a couple of years ago. Some wallpapering, some painting, removing, sanding, re-varnishing and re-hanging the internal doors I don't need any more shelves. I want to move my garden gate but I have no means of dealing with the concrete where I need to put the posts. It's too thick for me and my pick axe so I'll have to find "a man" to do that. It's been a long time since I re-felted the piano but I don't often use it these days. At one time I did my own motorcycle repairs and the car when I had one. I could replace the head gasket, adjust the timing and was a dab hand with isopon when I had my 105E rust bucket. I unblock sink outlets as required.

All I have done recently was fix a couple of wobbly dining room chairs, replace a dodgy door hinge on a kitchen cupboard and sand down the end of a broom handle to fit my lawn scarifier. I also assembled my new patio table even though it was recommended as a job for 2 people. I limit electrical work to rewiring lamps and the like although I still have my test kit somewhere.

My husband wasn't much use at doing things and I have been on my own for many years so I am pretty self sufficient. I am limited by my lack of height and growing wobbliness on a ladder, my dodgy eyesight and to some extent the strength in my arms since both shoulders froze up a few years ago.
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey
20-Jul-2020 18:34 Message #4787352
So book not join MSE to find partner and just stayed on shelf?

Male
Colonel_Blink  Male  Buckinghamshire
20-Jul-2020 22:11 Message #4787358
I think a lot of us have been turning to diy during lockdown when we had to be home alone.
Male
FirmButFair-TrollPatrol  Male  North Yorkshire
24-Jul-2020 15:13 Message #4787619
Today I have put up a heavy painting which required a rawlplug. Stopped a radiator leak. Managed to get the hands free in the car to work and sanded down a sticking drawer. Just today and it's not over yet!
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey
24-Jul-2020 15:29 Message #4787624
Keep going - you are obvs on a roll!
Female
Greencare  Female  Berkshire
3-Aug-2020 09:38 Message #4788362
I spent the weekend putting up wallpaper and did a good job if I say so myself. I have never attempted this before.
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey
3-Aug-2020 09:50 Message #4788363
I always found papering with Anaglypta quite tricky - esp one with a regular pattern - as it tends to stretch once paste is applies so you need to time the application of each piece as longer soak time means more stretch and thus a potential pattern mismatch - though I have successfully papered all my ceilings with it.
Male
Colonel_Blink  Male  Buckinghamshire
3-Aug-2020 11:16 Message #4788374
Greencare. No bubbles appearing?

BOYDEL. I like papering walls but would not attempt a ceiling.
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon
4-Aug-2020 08:15 new  Message #4788448
Unless I wanted to electrocute myself, have shelves fall on my head or wallpaper rolling itself back off the wall then no diy for me.
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey
4-Aug-2020 10:03 new  Message #4788454
CB - papering ceilings is not a favourite task - awful neck ache etc - and ideally 2 people would make the job massively easier - though you can make a contraption of upended brooms to hold one end/middle of the pasted length while you brush on and pattern match other end - I think there are commercial contraptions to make the task easier on one's own.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
4-Aug-2020 13:21 new  Message #4788475
I think a lot of us have been turning to diy during lockdown when we had to be home alone.

I hope there was no innuendo there Colonel lol.

Help with conversations