Conversation Help and Advice
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Sorry but your call cannot be completed

VM landline to EE mobiles

Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire
17-Jul-2020 18:53 Message #4787104
I use a virgin landline. My younger daughter uses an ee mobile. She can ring my land line no problem. If I ring her mobile I get the "Sorry" message above. I have an ee mobile for emergencies. If I ring it from my Virgin landline I get the "Sorry" message. I reported it to Virgin and they sent a guy round. He plugged into my line outside and rang his own ee mobile. He got the Sorry message. My friend has a Virgin landline. She can get through to me on my ee mobile. I suspect she could get through to my daughter and the Virgin guy as well if she had their numbers. I have no problems ringing Vodaphone, Three or Tesco (O2) mobiles.

This is the second time it has happened. Last year it took about a month but Virgin sorted it. This time, after a month or so they say it is nothing to do with them, it's ee! They must have blocked my landline number from entering their network. I rang ee. They have not blocked my landline number, it is a Virgin problem.

Has anybody got telephone network experience and can give me a clue as to what is happening? (Apart from VG buck passing).
I wonder if the "2nd team technicians" at Virgin have thought to read the notes from last time to see how they fixed the problem in November.
Male
SQL  Male  Devon
17-Jul-2020 21:33 Message #4787111
Probably a Virgin screw-up. Try putting a message up on Facebook (if you use it) asking for help, or get your daughter to put up a message. Big companies don't like to see their problems being aired.

If you are really adventurous you could try to find an email address for the chairman of Virgin and/or R.Branson and send them a polite message outlining your problem and botched attempts by Virgin staff to shift the blame/fix the fault. Tell them they can read more details on Facebook - that should get things moving.

I had a problem along similar lines with TalkTalk, they blacklisted the MSE URL in an attempt to stop me accessing MSE. Not got a clue why. After several heated phone calls and threats on my part to terminate the 18 month contract early due to this problem, the fault suddenly went away (without me being told). I had already bypassed their blacklist scheme so I didn't really notice for some time.

SQL
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire
17-Jul-2020 21:57 Message #4787114
Good grief! Was there a talk talk employee on MSE that had taken a dislike to you?
Richard B no longer owns any part of Virgin Media but gets paid for the use of the brand name. I don't use Facebook but could have a chat with my older daughter who, like me, usually has no objections to a bit of a fight.
Female
twinkle2  Female  Hertfordshire
19-Jul-2020 08:48 Message #4787220
Hi Aely,

I've sent you a message about this.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
28-Jul-2020 10:12 Message #4787892
I tried to use my mums mobile to ring the house landline and it wouldn't let me, good job it wasn't an emergency, hers is an O2 sim card and our landline's BT.

Help with conversations