Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Ok I need your knowledge

Outdoor paint grrr

1 2 Next   Last  

Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside
9-Jul-2020 19:26 Message #4786376
I have a 3ft by 9ft step at the front door and a slightly smaller one at the back, they are concrete, every year I seem to have to paint them, I, ve tried outdoor step paint, for a few years, but this year went for masonry paint, still bad.
Every time it rains it takes some paint off, and we, ve had a fair bit of rain lol
Any ideas?
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia
9-Jul-2020 19:36 Message #4786378
You probably need to roughen the surface up a bit to give the paint a key.
You can buy bonding primer that you paint on first then use a good quality concrete paint.
I would imagine good stuff ain't cheap though...
Female
9-Jul-2020 19:38 Message #4786379
Haven't tried bonding primer, but have sanded it even added sand to paint one year, this is costing anyway, I only painted them at beginning of lockdown and already flaking off
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey
9-Jul-2020 19:47 Message #4786380
Maybe try garage floor paint
Female
9-Jul-2020 19:49 Message #4786381
Boydel we have painted garage floors in work and when we had a leak that took the paint off too
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset
9-Jul-2020 21:06 Message #4786388
I'm puzzled to learn that you've had such trouble with your step paint, Euro. I've always used Rustins Quick Dry Step & Tile Paint, "a gloss, acrylic based paint for tiles, concrete and bricks". Here's the info from ebay. The instructions mentioned might help. (Below)

The paint is quick drying and contains special pigments for good opacity.

Not for use on glazed or quarry tiles.

To apply, use a good quality brush.

2 coats are usually sufficient.

Sand lightly between coats if needed.

Do not apply outdoors if rain is imminent, and do not use below 10°C.

Drying time: Approx 30 minutes.

Re-coat: 4 hrs.

Coverage: 14m² per 1 litre.
-
One other thing that comes to mind, (to definitely deal / stop the peeling of the paint issue), might be to experiment with fibreglass paint - a fibreglass / resin mix pigmented to suit your taste. We used to use the stuff when building RIBS, (Rigid inflatable boasts), ... and we actually built one for Nick Berry of Harbour Lights fame when the HL crew arrived in town. I use the Royal WE but I actually mean a mate who was in that line of business and shared part of a factory with me.

Beware though. Resin is not a material to take lightly.
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset
9-Jul-2020 21:07 Message #4786389
boat
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset
9-Jul-2020 21:08 Message #4786390
Feck! I meant boats.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire
9-Jul-2020 23:24 Message #4786413
Have found any paint or resin used on flooring needs redoing every couple of years to keep it looking tidy, our last attempt we had a company come in and lay a resin floor, it looked tatty after less than two years.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire
10-Jul-2020 11:21 Message #4786446
euro,

do you not have an independent paint/decorator retailer local to you, i find that you get good advice and help from such places ?
Female
10-Jul-2020 14:40 Message #4786467
I, ll take everything written on board, thankyou. Looking round today on bike ride a lot of the steps round here look similar, paint chipped, lol the bloke across from me tiled his but it is slippy when wet so he has covered it in rubber mats too,
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
10-Jul-2020 18:56 Message #4786515
You can get tiles and slabs that don't go slippy when wet.
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
10-Jul-2020 19:08 Message #4786518
Johnstones do a doorstep one....but it may be one you've already tried....

It only seems to come in one colour though.....A red..

From whatpaint:-

Homeowners looking for an affordable paint product for their stairs and doorsteps should look no further. Johnstone’s Paint for Doorsteps is an economic yet high-quality paint perfect to use on a wide range of exterior surfaces.

The most important feature of this product is its weather resistant formula. Tough and durable, the paint resists medium foot traffic and is perfect to use for domestic purposes.

A slight drawback is the lack of versatility with regards the range of colours. There isn’t too much of a choice as the paint only comes in matt red. However, you can still use it on brick, slates, stone and even unglazed tiles.

In terms of durability, the product boasts a hardwearing formulation designed to resist daily wear and tear, adverse weather and outdoor elements. Covering up to 10m²/litre and providing satisfactory results with just one coat, this is undoubtedly a superb paint to consider for your project.

Pros

• Non-drip formulation makes the paint easy to apply with a paintbrush or roller without worrying about mess.
• Compatible with previously painted surfaces and primed bare surfaces. Thinned paint also serves as an undercoat.
• Compatible with a wide variety of substrates including masonry and brickwork.
• Guaranteed to last for years without chipping or flaking.

Cons

• The toxic solvent-based formula is harmful to humans and the environment.
Female
10-Jul-2020 19:32 Message #4786521
Lol that was the first one I tried even though I didn't like red lasted about ten months
Son is getting some for me he's been googling bless

Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire
10-Jul-2020 21:34 Message #4786533
My other half suggested this :

Mix some neat cement to a slurry consistency. Coat the steps with half of it it . Buy some Cementone (stuff you mix with cement to colour it) You can choose your colour. Mix with rest of cement slurry mix. Then coat the steps with it twice.
He used to be a builder
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey
10-Jul-2020 21:37 Message #4786535
I had wondered about that exact solution V...
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire
11-Jul-2020 08:18 Message #4786560
Thoroughly clean the steps
Mix 1 part PVA adhesive with 2 parts water to make a milky liquid
Paint on to steps, allow to dry completely
Mix some cement into a slurry with another 2 - 1 mix of the PVA adhesive
Add the Cementone colour to this mix
Paint on to steps and allow to dry

Euro, He thought it about last night and suggested this would be the best solution. Also said to do a dummy run on a small bit of concrete somewhere first

V x
Female
11-Jul-2020 09:29 Message #4786565
Cheers Vic, I, ll have a go because this is ridiculous, I only painted it during the hot weather in May and already looks yuk
Female
25-Jul-2020 08:55 Message #4787662
Seriously!!!!! I did the step on Monday gone, followed all instructions to the brush stroke
Heavy rain last night and yep it's got a tiny patch of chipped paint on it, thinking cap back on
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey
25-Jul-2020 10:05 Message #4787677
Is the chip on the vertical or horizontal surface though? Tread or riser...
Female
25-Jul-2020 10:06 Message #4787678
Tread
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
26-Jul-2020 08:24 Message #4787735
thinking cap back on

Time to throw away the old thinking cap and purchase a new one which works lol.
Female
26-Jul-2020 13:16 Message #4787767
So true lol or seriously if that's the only thing I have to worry about go get a life for myself lol lol lol
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
3-Aug-2020 07:51 Message #4788355
Glue some astroturf to the step it will look great.
Female
3-Aug-2020 19:20 new  Message #4788417
Eee no it wouldn't, proper scally that

1 2 Next   Last  

Help with conversations