Conversation Arts and Entertainment
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Song lyrics

Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire
4-Jul-2020 23:06 Message #4785754
Do you ever listen to them? and have any meant anything to you...such as describing something happening in your life or maybe even making you feel better - or worse - during life events?
Country Joe MacDonald put some poems of Robert W Service to music which I found interesting and relevant at one time.
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset
5-Jul-2020 00:07 Message #4785760
Any song that opens its lyrics with "My father cut his toe off - in a rotary lawn mower" is always going to stay firmly planted in your mind - even 47 years later. Well, in my case it has though I can't tell you what it reminds me of or I'd have to kill you.

The second verse continues, "My mother faked a suicide - because she found a tale tale sign of puberty upon the sheets."

And the chorus is just delightful. "We're just an ordinary family - with the usual calamities".

It's actually a wonderful little song. Very witty, very clever and also very poignant and, with regards to sexuality, morals and being a song of hope or a bit of wisdom, it is way, way ahead of its time.

There are several unique verses but here are a few of them.

When I become a married man
With children of my very own
Will I lay my inhibitions on
And criticise their sexuality?

Will I use them to protect respect?
Will I try to own them flesh and bone?
Or will I be their equal friend?
Encouraging their new ideas?

For the future lies within their hands
And the salvation of all these lands
Yes, the ordinary family
Is the only way to set us free.

Play it now on Youtube. I promise it will cheer and lift your heart. :-)

Donovan's "The Ordinary Family".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?timecontinue=23&v=z9hOdBDlQ0M&feature=emblogo
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside
5-Jul-2020 09:10 Message #4785779
Whilst reading this the song maneater played on radio, and all I thought was
Ah back in the day eh? Lol lol lol
Male
Orson  Male  Tayside
6-Jul-2020 16:28 Message #4786019
Generally speaking, the lyrics that one hears these days, seem to be a mixture of bragging, inarticulacy, moronic chanting etc. However, there are exceptions to every rule, one thinks. The new Sparks album, for example.
Male
FirmButFair-TrollPatrol  Male  North Yorkshire
6-Jul-2020 17:58 Message #4786024
It all made much more sense when songs had words instead of lyrics.
Male
InSanityClaus  Male  Cornwall
6-Aug-2020 16:20 Message #4788602
I'm rather fond of Screamin' Jay Hawkins, a lovely little ditty called "Constipation Blues"

UMM-UMMMH, aeoh
UMM-UOOMH
OOH!
OH!
UH UH
Aaah
UOH, aah
Let it go! Let it go! Let it go! Let it go!
I don't believe I can take much more
Let it go
Aah
Got a pain down inside
Won't be denied
Yeah, every time I try
I can't be satisfied
Let it go!
WOAH, UMMH
Let it, let it go!
OH!
WAAAAOOOH!
This pain down inside
Just won't let me be satisfied
Let it go!
SPLASH! SPSHHH...
Feel, ah,…
Female
Madness102  Female  South Yorkshire
10-Sep-2020 22:59 Message #4791994
Yes, Terry I do listen to lyrics IF I can understand them. Some are so guzzled I have trouble figuring them out, so I don't try.

A song that means a lot to me and reflects so closely my own life with the "A---hole" I lived with for far too long is :
All The Lies That You Told Me
Go listen on utube.

I believe every love song relates to someone's life and love experience. Doesn't matter what it's about, someone somewhere will have had just that experience.

Help with conversations