Conversation The Forum
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

SO WHO'S RUMMAGING AROUND

for their passports ??

1 2 Next   Last  

Female
Topaz53  Female  Northamptonshire
4-Jul-2020 20:54 Message #4785730
Ok, so we know that we have been given the all clear
to fly off to our prefered holiday destinations.

In fact we have been given very clear guidance with the "traffic light" system stating the safest places to fly to, but in all seriousness, would you ??

I know at the moment, you couldn't PAY ME to take a holiday in this country let alone go abroad, and as for a cruise,
(Which I have enjoyed in the past )
Nope...not happening !!

I'm not ruling out holidays completely from my life, but I won't be planning any in the near future.

I think we would have to be covid free for at least a year before I dip my toes into any holiday destination. :/
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire
4-Jul-2020 21:36 Message #4785732
I think I'll go and visit some friends I made from trekking who live in New Zealand. It's supposed to be safer there :-)
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
4-Jul-2020 22:35 Message #4785742
I would be getting paid if I took a trip to Italy and possibly Spain too but I see too many reasons to stay here.
I wouldn't want to be seriously ill in another country. It's also the general discomfort of travelling, masking up and distancing to get there and back.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
5-Jul-2020 08:52 Message #4785769
What's happening to the colour of our passports? I though that was the most important national issue of its time.
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside
5-Jul-2020 09:07 Message #4785778
My passport ran out February I don't think I, ll renew for a while lol
New passport my son got last month was black
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
5-Jul-2020 11:01 Message #4785819
My passports run out too, I only used it once, I think I used the one before twice. I've no idea who I'd get to sign the photo either.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia
5-Jul-2020 11:32 Message #4785832
My passport is ready to go, but it's not the virus stopping me but a lack of funds.
However, all being well, early next year that will change and I will be off....
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire
5-Jul-2020 12:14 Message #4785840
There was a piece on the news this morning about Thailand and how animals are moving into holiday areas, or back into whichever way you wish to view it. Apparently some endangered species are seeing what might be a resurgence in numbers.
The Thai government is considering closing some parks and restricting holiday travel for two months per year to help keep this resurgence going.
Female
5-Jul-2020 12:41 Message #4785850
There was a place on TV last night where city monkeys have been that bored they have just been eating sleeping reproducing lol so government is now sterilising hundreds ooer
Female
5-Jul-2020 18:02 Message #4785897
I think it was Thailand where two troops of monkey's were having a battle over some manky old piece of fruit, many are hungry now that there arn't tourists to feed them or leave leftover food layiing about.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire
6-Jul-2020 08:30 Message #4785970
A lot of dead badgers by the roadsides here as they wander into the much quieter roads.
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex
26-Jul-2020 14:39 Message #4787779
I want to use my passport. And I really hate covid now! Just daren't book anything, even a quick Ryanair trip to Ireland. They quarantine Brits for 2 weeks last time I heard. Downward trend seems to be stalling a bit. But not in all areas.
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey
27-Jul-2020 14:18 Message #4787836
Hen - your GP/Pharmacist should be able to sign passport photo.
Male
FirmButFair-TrollPatrol  Male  North Yorkshire
27-Jul-2020 15:04 Message #4787838
An up to date passport is useful to have for identification purposes even if not using it to travel.

Why would any sane person be travelling for pleasure at the moment? Madness. Even businessmen have been willing to forgo earnings rather than travel out of the country.

Will your country of choice cancel access? Will it close it's borders while you are there? Will your insurers withdraw cover? Will you be covered for all emergencies including an airlift back to the UK?

Covid could flare up in the UK or in any other country around the world. Are you willing to risk family members and children?

Are you willing to quarantine for two weeks on your return? After all you wouldn't want to be risking the lives of others just so you can have your holiday.

Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey
27-Jul-2020 15:49 Message #4787843
A cheaper alternative for ID purposes is a photocard driving licence - now needed even if one changes address.
Male
FirmButFair-TrollPatrol  Male  North Yorkshire
27-Jul-2020 17:33 Message #4787847
Doesn't a passport break down to about 15p per week?
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey
27-Jul-2020 18:28 Message #4787848
Yes it does for a 10 year Passport. HM Passport Office say 80% of those in England and Wales have a Passport

However a Provisional Licence issued on say 17th birthday for £34 and assuming you pass test before expiry and get a free Full Licence is then valid for 53 yrs and also free after age 70 (apart from cost of suitable photos) so a tad over a quarter of the cost .

As at Sept 2014 there were 45.5 million active driving licences in GB (87.5% of the adult population - or around 71% of total population incl children).
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex
27-Jul-2020 21:13 Message #4787860
Covid has been with us for going on 6 months. We cannot sit on our laurels forever, with business and industry, notably airline and travel beginning to go into bankruptcy. We are well below the peak, and each country is different and will apply its own rules as it sees fit.

Young people are fit to travel and non-vulnerable groups. And if covid flares up, the appropriate actions are being taken, as we are on board with the rest of the world with this, as with the situation in Spain.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire
27-Jul-2020 22:53 Message #4787867
boydel,

the photocard licence is only valid for 10yrs and costs a minimum of £14 to renew.

a lot of drivers are falling foul of this and risking fines.

i still have my original license and will hold on to it for as long as i can, but as it does not have a mugshot it is not always accepted as i.d.
Female
28-Jul-2020 09:34 Message #4787881
A friend has just gone to Greece and she's pregnant, I cannot agree with her going, think it's too soon
Female
28-Jul-2020 10:44 Message #4787903
But Boydell I don't want a passport, I don't go abroad, My first passport I used once when I went to France and that was more to be allowed back into the country than get out of it and the second one I used once to go to Turkey. Its a hell of a faff and expence for something I don't use.

GP's often charge for signing passport photos and I think the pharmacist that I used to go to has retired and the one now I don't like and don't really trust.
Female
28-Jul-2020 10:56 Message #4787905
A civil servant can do it too
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
28-Jul-2020 11:21 Message #4787906
I have signed passports for friends and neighbours as a director of a VAT registered company. The list of recognised professions is quite lengthy And hardly anyone would charge for doing this.
The important factor is that they know you personally and are capable of identifying you.
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey
28-Jul-2020 11:36 Message #4787908
Agreed Fosy though most members here will have had a paper licence at outset - though will have needed to change to more expensive/short duration photocard type if changed address in recent decades.
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey
28-Jul-2020 11:38 Message #4787909
Agreed Fosy though most members here will have had a paper licence at outset - though will have needed to change to more expensive/short duration photocard type if changed address in recent decades.

1 2 Next   Last  

Help with conversations