Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Has anyone used a priority post box....for virus test kit

Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
29-Jun-2020 18:55 Message #4785170
I followed all the instructions.......including looking up where it said the nearest priority post box was.....finding out the last collection....and posting it an hour before the last collection....as per the enclosed instructions....

It's time sensitive.....so needs to be analysed in a certain time after you've taken the test...otherwise it has worn away....

So I took the test.....set off to post it.....and their was no priority postbox that I could see.....There was an ordinary one nearby.....but the priority ones are meant to be clearly marked.....according to the instructions....and normal ones should not be used ( in capital letters in the instructions......so as to make it 'important'

With time running short a bit.....I then went and found a small Post Office....to ask them.....They didn't know what i was on about....I tried to explain further.....but they still didn't seem to know.....

So with time running even shorter.....I had to leave it with them.....At least it would get picked up at some point by someone....

But it won't get there till tomorrow....which according to the instructions....will be too late.....

Has anyone else seen a priority post box?.....or used one for their virus sample?...There's meant to be thousands of them about....

And the virus stuff......If it all dies off so quickly in a sample thing..........How is it not dying off so quickly in normal......

There's no cure for it........apart from a few hours later.....
Male
Seasons-Greetings  Male  Essex
29-Jun-2020 21:10 Message #4785173
I haven't had to use one but after a quick look on the subject you can go on the Royal Mail website and under Services near you (where you can enter your postcode) there's a Priority Postboxes tab.
Male
Colonel_Blink  Male  Buckinghamshire
29-Jun-2020 22:30 Message #4785175
Yes they are listed on the Royal Mail website and there is also an app which can be downloaded. There seems to be plenty within easy reach. I believe they are standard boxes relabelled for priority collections.
Male
29-Jun-2020 23:57 Message #4785183
Thanks for the replies.....

It seems it may be one of those half done/half not done.....all over the place type rules...there's quite a few about regardin the virus etc.....as we already know.....eg....you can do this....maybe....you can't do that though.....perhaps....

Anyway.....I checked on the 'priority post boxes' before setting off....and it definitely showed as one about a mile away.....so upon arriving at the supposed 'priority' box.....it was a tatty old postbox...with nothing on it to suggest 'priority'......It looked as though it had the virus itself.....

I then walked to a small post office half a mile away.....and they didn't seem to have heard of priority boxes....

As time was running out to try and get anywhere else.....I left it with them at the post office.......They seemed to think it should be ok.....but then again....they'd not heard of priority boxes.....so they were probably just trying to humour the 'crazy mixed up' old git

Although......my test instruction leaflet 'clearly' states.......'If you do not put your sample in a priority box, it will not be processed quick enough.....

I've just tracked the number on Royal Mail website......and it says it is still at the post office that I left it at....

I'll see if goes anywhere tomorrow......or I'll have to do it again.....and go to somewhere else to post it......although.....another thing the instructions 'clearly' state is 'Do not take public transport with the sample......You can walk or drive....but no public transport'.......I haven't got a car at the moment.....

There is a testing place in the old market patch near Gloucester.....so I may go there next time........I'll have to take public transport to get there though.....but that should be ok, as I won't have a sample with me at that point........

I thought it was all going to be oh so simple......
Male
Mazer  Male  South East London
30-Jun-2020 08:23 Message #4785189
I'm surprised you had difficulties tumbled it must be the fault of your local postal service. I have three family members living in different areas who have done this without difficulty as the instructions are straightforward enough and priority post boxes easy to find. I would report the official who told you he hadn't heard of priority boxes because that is gross negligence on someone's part.
Male
30-Jun-2020 08:45 Message #4785191
I will be bringing it to the Post office/Royal mail attention.....I was probably just unlucky that the nearest priority box hasn't been marked as a priority one......It's on the outskirts.....and I expect the ones closer to the centre would be better......but they are further away for me....

I just checked the parcel tracking again.....and it's still saying it's at the same place.....It's a small post office inside a One stop shop thing....The lady who served me was just one of the shop staff I think.....I'm not sure of their set up....what training they have etc...

If the parcel hasn't moved today.....then it will be wasted.....too late etc....

I'll do the test again.....either by getting another kit or going to a test centre.....
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
30-Jun-2020 08:48 Message #4785193
The small post offices within shops can be very lacking in knowledge.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
30-Jun-2020 10:24 Message #4785207
Most post offices are in shops now, I would of thought an email to all post offices about the location of priority boxes would have been a start. I wouldn't have any idea where theres one near here, I'd never heard of them until you posted tumbled.
Male
1-Jul-2020 02:06 Message #4785279
It's still showing the same on the tracker......I'm not sure if that's meant to happen....I don't normally track stuff....

It's meant to go to AstraZeneca somewhere....

It'll be long dead now.....

I'll probably have to do it again......and wretch again.....when you try to find your tonsils with the bud thing.....I had my tonsils out when I was a kid....so I wasn't able to find them.......I had to do it where the tonsils should be instead...
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire
1-Jul-2020 07:23 Message #4785283
I enjoy your posts tumbled. I have never seen anyone more confused with every aspect of life but you always seem to get there in the end.
Male
1-Jul-2020 10:20 Message #4785305
Glad you enjoy them......

It wouldn't be as exciting if I just posted 'Went to find a post box.....Found it....posted letter....came home'....

I learnt it from that bloke who wrote Oliver Twist......What the Dickens was his name?.....Anyway......His original was just 'Can I have some more please?'.......'Yes, of course you can'....the end....
Male
2-Jul-2020 13:17 Message #4785429
Well....it seemed to hang about at the post office for a day or two....then last night moved to Bristol....and at 12.46 today....it was delivered to Astrazeneca...

and they all lived happily ever after.....amen....

although....the samples dead.....
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon
2-Jul-2020 13:18 Message #4785431
Tumbled. As long as you're not dead I would look at that as a good result.
Female
Sea  Female  Essex
2-Jul-2020 23:22 Message #4785504
I have never seen a priority postbox, so don't know where any are either. If I did I would likely assume for first class post only unless it said anything otherwise. I was completely unaware of their existance until seeing this posting here. A few days ago I went to my local W.H.Smiths as a large postbox just inside the door for me to post a letter in. However for some unknown reason it was sealed over and unable to use. A sign on it gave addresses of next nearest boxes, without directions. Nothing was marked on it regarding nearerst priority box. Anyway I simply took letter to the post office counter and they said I could leave it there. They did not know why postbox sealed or when it may be unsealed but had been attempting to pressurise people to get it back into action. There were no signs anywhere within the post office bit mentioning priority posting etc. though. Surely if it is so important to send these samples off quickly then all post offices should be able to take them, or at the very least, have big posters up telling you where the nearest priority post box is? Oh well, may be back to the drawing board tumble.

Help with conversations