Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

A cashless society

1 2 3 Next   Last  

Male
CircusMaximus  Male  North Yorkshire
29-Jun-2020 13:27 Message #4785134
Is now the time?
Female
Bewildered  Female  Norfolk
29-Jun-2020 13:37 Message #4785137
NO never
I like cash in my purse,
I dont want every transaction logged
and no control over my vast amount of dosh !!!
Male
vanman  Male  Cambridgeshire
29-Jun-2020 14:01 Message #4785141
When card payment was introduced shops would say 'you have to spend a certain amount to be able to use a card' because of the cost involved, so whats changed?
Now, you can use a card when spending a few pence!

You can bet, its not to the customers benefit!

BIG BROTHER is watching, in all sorts of ways!!! lol ;-}
Male
CircusMaximus  Male  North Yorkshire
29-Jun-2020 14:24 Message #4785144
I still use cash on a lot of instances although many shops have been unable to take cash during the pandemic.

Nothing has changed much vanman. Shops charge if you use a credit card because the credit card companies charge them. Ideal for expensive purchases for the extra protections you get. I think this is changing so no charges will be added but I think that will end up being worse for the consumer.
I don't think debit cards are charged for in shops.
Contactless is limited to £30 and is how most cheaper purchases are made these days.
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
29-Jun-2020 15:31 Message #4785147
Cash is King........No cash is *'king cobblers...
Female
Andromeda  Female  Berkshire
29-Jun-2020 15:34 Message #4785148
A lot of tradesmen won't want to see it go and many customers would see themselves paying more.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire
29-Jun-2020 15:35 Message #4785149
i think you,ll find that the contactless limit is now £45 [visa anyway].
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside
29-Jun-2020 16:36 Message #4785150
I called into mu local shop on way home from work today, spent £2.46 went to pay on card and was told it had to be over £3 and to buy something else lol I said no didn't want anything else lol and went and queued up at cash machine with alcohol wipe in hand of course lol
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire
29-Jun-2020 17:33 Message #4785157
Unless banks stop charging small businesses for using them I can't see I cashless society any time soon. All that would happen is towns would create their own currencies like Bristol has done with the Bristol pound.
Female
leogirl  Female  Essex
29-Jun-2020 17:41 Message #4785158
I am old fashioned and like a few £ 20 in my purse at any one time.
I have a better idea how much I have spent that way.

The shopping trollies still operate on 1 £ coins. in he past fellow shoppers would give you a 1 £ coin for a handful of pennies etc , but not nowadays. even if you wipe every penny and polish it .
coins are notoriously dirty, plastic money even more so.
perhaps my grandmother was right … she was in the habit of tipping all the coins of her large leather purse, in a bowl with sunlight soap suds, good scrub , and afterwards polish them dry .
as children we were rather pleased receiving ( some) those shining coins as pocket money on our weekly visit.
leoirl.
Male
Lovealways  Male  Cheshire
29-Jun-2020 17:52 Message #4785159
Limited to £45 now
Male
FirmButFair-TrollPatrol  Male  North Yorkshire
29-Jun-2020 18:13 Message #4785165
A lot of tradesmen won't want to see it go and many customers would see themselves paying more.

A cashless society would bring in a lot more in taxes which have been avoided to date.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
29-Jun-2020 18:45 Message #4785168
I like cash, theres nothing like the feel of a wad of notes, even if they are all that plasticky monopoly money we have now.

Lots of people pay for a service with a card, but leave coins as a tip, cash is tax free, a tip from a card payment is taxed, one example of the craziness of tax rules. Many people are paid absolute minimum and they're expected to "earn" a proper wage by having it topped up with tips and commissions, if they don't then they're seen as not bringing enough business.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire
30-Jun-2020 08:16 Message #4785188
Can you imagine going to the Car Boot sale with a credt/debit card.

When you take something to the dump, you have to pay for it by card. NO cash changes hands there.

Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
30-Jun-2020 08:44 Message #4785190
I've used cash successfully for years and rarely resorted to using a card but I don't think many youngsters would want all the hassle when swiping a card is so simple and you're not left with a pocket full of change. I eat out a lot (not for a couple of months) and restaurants always bring across the swipe terminal assuming you'll use a card and they are surprised, and seemingly amused, when you pay with cash.
I still carry a reasonable amount of cash in me but will now use a card for most purchases. Even the ice cream man takes card payments. London buses haven't taken cash for sone time now and my Oyster card I've used for years on the London underground.

Years ago most employees would have been paid in cash and many wouldn't have a bank account so cash was the obvious currency. Even in recent years I have had employees with no bank account and refuse anything other than a weekly wage packet which I understand.

During this pandemic a lot of places have refused cash as it is said to spread "nasties" far too easily. I recall (vaguely) a recent survey pointing out that over 80% of notes tested positive for cocaine or urine which confirms the theory that they are horrible dirty things even if some newer notes are washable.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire
30-Jun-2020 08:59 Message #4785194
It might be surprising to some people, but there are still people who can't get a bank account.
Male
Pboro Trevor  Male  Cambridgeshire
30-Jun-2020 09:02 Message #4785195
It has been on the cards for years as more and more people get to use electronic payment systems so become used to them and forget about cash.

Trevor
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
30-Jun-2020 09:09 Message #4785196
It's a fangle thing.......especially amongst the younger brigade.....They like their fangles new...rather than old.....
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire
30-Jun-2020 09:54 Message #4785198
Last year a friend of mine tried to open a Bank account with one of the high street banks. She has about 4 accounts with various others. She has never been in debt in her life, never bought anything on HP or even had a mortgage. She is a property owner and quite wealthy.
The bank refused her on the grounds that she has no previous debt record.
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey
30-Jun-2020 09:57 Message #4785200
Terry - see link on getting a basic bank account

https://www.money.co.uk/current-accounts/how-to-rescue-your-finances-if-youve-been-refused-a-bank-account.htm
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset
30-Jun-2020 10:10 Message #4785201
V pondered, "Can you imagine going to the Car Boot sale with a credt/debit card."

Morning V, x

My, newly purchased, rechargable SQUARE credit / debit card reader device links with my smartphone via bluetooth to take card payments from customers, (including contactless and swipe), and I'm assuming that I'd be able to take payments anywhere as long as I had an internet connection, the SQUARE reader and my phone.

Does anyone already use Square or some similar device via their phone's cellular network?

Put it this way. I'd expect to be able to take payment at a car boot sale (or anywhere else), out in the wilds using the reader. I'd be very disappointed if I couldn't.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
30-Jun-2020 10:31 Message #4785208
My parents had the same thig V, mortgage paid off, both retired, money in the bank and they were refused. I wonder what its like for people who have none of the ID banks require, I mean my mum no longer has a passport and she can't drive and has never held a licence. I have a driving licence but no passport and my names not on any of the bills here.

Isn't the whole point of a car boot sale that people can empty their lofts and sell all their old stuff and make a bit of money? What if you don't have a smart phone or you live in one of the many areas with poor signal?
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset
30-Jun-2020 10:44 Message #4785211
"What if you don't have a smart phone or you live in one of the many areas with poor signal?"

Well ... if you were an ardent car booter (or budding outdoor entrepeneur), you'd simply BUY ONE, Hen, and use the smartphone's own internet resource!!! They are neither expensive nor complicated ...
Male
BlackMark1  Male  Leicestershire
30-Jun-2020 11:42 Message #4785222
It is likely anyone can get a bank account if they want one. Even those who are homeless can open a basic bank account which doesn't allow credit. You can also get bank cards which you put funds into and this can be done without a bank account. Most things are within our grasp if we want them badly enough.
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey
30-Jun-2020 11:46 Message #4785223
Agreed and even the street homeless can both get a bank account - as well as use their Job Centre address when applying for jobs.

1 2 3 Next   Last  

Help with conversations