Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Spike

Leicester

1 2 3 4 Next   Last  

Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire
28-Jun-2020 19:20 Message #4785068
Rumours of a spike of C19 in Leicester.
Anyone know anything about, like Fosy or anyone else.

There were rumours of a spike in West Yorkshire a little while ago (in a meat factory).
I also saw that Germany had a spike (in a meat factory).
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
28-Jun-2020 19:23 Message #4785069
I saw it on the BBC site...They may be locking Leicester down again....but that's all I know at the moment.....

I'll keep my ear to the ground.....or does it have to be 2 meters above the ground.....
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire
28-Jun-2020 23:53 Message #4785095
sorry, i only know the same as what we can all read in the news.

it would be interesting to know the cause of the spike....leics has a high ratio of bames ??
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire
29-Jun-2020 08:03 Message #4785102
what are 'bames' please
Male
Pboro Trevor  Male  Cambridgeshire
29-Jun-2020 08:58 Message #4785111
Victoriana - BAMEs are people of Black, and Minority Ethnic

Trevor
Male
Maglorian  Male  North Yorkshire
29-Jun-2020 11:35 Message #4785116
Fosy is attempting to associate a second wave of Covid on none gammon (white) people. Blame the BAMES.

Racism is ugly. Brexit mentality feeds it.
Female
Molly  Female  Essex
29-Jun-2020 11:39 Message #4785117
Was that his intention? I read it as saying a higher than average population of black people might mean a higher than average spike in the spread of coronavirus.
Male
Wandering4fun  Male  North Yorkshire
29-Jun-2020 12:01 Message #4785118
none gammon (white) people

Is that not a bit racist? No-one else on this thread is being offensive.
Male
29-Jun-2020 12:17 Message #4785120
Wandering4fun: Is that not a bit racist?

No "gammon" is not a racial slur. Nobody has ever been abused in the street, denied service or threatened with deportation, or blamed for the spread of Covid because they're an angry old white man with cheeks like two slices of Wiltshire ham.
Male
CircusMaximus  Male  North Yorkshire
29-Jun-2020 12:20 Message #4785122
It is a racist slur however much you try to defend it. I agree with W4F.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
29-Jun-2020 12:33 Message #4785124
We have quite a serious spike here, its all centred around the chicken processing factory, whats really worrying is that out of nearly 600 staff, 200 have tested positive and another 200 odd are refusing to come forward and be tested. I don't know if the public health people are being sloppy in tracing them or if the factory won't tell public health the addresses of people, but its all a bit of a nightmare.

Do public health officials have a right to make people have a test? I can see it being a violation of human rights, but I also think its a violation of human rights for those who know they may have the disease to spread it around to others.
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside
29-Jun-2020 16:38 Message #4785151
None gammon? Wtf is none gammon?
Female
29-Jun-2020 16:44 Message #4785152
Re read, so if white is none gammon black is gammon?
Really?
Female
29-Jun-2020 16:48 Message #4785153
Ok googled
Gammon is white middle aged angry man,
Stupid comment then from maglorian

Female
Andromeda  Female  Berkshire
29-Jun-2020 16:53 Message #4785154
You can't stand up against racism or colour prejudice and then make derogatory remarks about a persons race or colour no matter how clever you think you are. Maglorian was trying to stir things up as usual but it backfired.
Male
29-Jun-2020 17:00 Message #4785156
It's just one of them insult things........

If you want to insult someone....and pretend it's not racist or anything....there are many ways that people do it........

People sometimes invent their own......and nobody ( actually probably everybody ) knows that they are being insulting.....even though they are spitting feathers and aggressively bullying and insulting the person they are aiming it all at......with deep hatred in their eyes.....
Male
29-Jun-2020 17:59 Message #4785161
Euro and Wandering. I apologise! I included ("white people") wrongly. What i meant was:

*Fosy is attempting to associate a second wave of Covid on none gammon people. Blame the BAMES.

Racism is ugly. Brexit mentality feeds it. *

Gammon cannot be a racist insult, because there are many white people in the UK who don't fit the angry gammon man personality. Contrary to Andromedas faux outrage, which feeds her agenda to attempt to heretic me. A gammon type man, is angry and despises different people who don't fit his expected ethnic profile. Racist? nope. Personality type yes.

If anything, it could be Personalityism. (Made up term. Save googling) But surely that's accepted, as I have seen many character assassinations by Andromeda and her right wing cohorts posted on MSE for the 4 months I have been using this forum.
Male
29-Jun-2020 18:07 Message #4785162
WTF

Are you bored Mags?
Male
FirmButFair-TrollPatrol  Male  North Yorkshire
29-Jun-2020 18:10 Message #4785163
Everyone to blame except you Maglorian. Your insult was racist and you know it was racist. Stop blaming everyone else.
Male
29-Jun-2020 18:11 Message #4785164
As well as gammon...you could try lamb....perhaps beef....chicken....mongoose?....bacon.....sausage.....mushrooms...eggs...fried bread.....

For the veggies......Carrot.....Turnip.....Swede....Bean.....tomato.....peas

For pudding......ice cream......blancmange.....black forest gateau....cheesecake.....

For a snack......Nuts.....Crisps......wet lettuce.....
Male
FirmButFair-TrollPatrol  Male  North Yorkshire
29-Jun-2020 18:27 Message #4785166
Members of Leicester's BAME community say they are alarmed by a "surge" of coronavirus cases in "the most deprived area of the city".

About 25% of the city's 2,494 confirmed Covid-19 cases were reported in the past two weeks, many in east Leicester.

Analysis has found South Asian people are the most likely to die from Covid-19 after being admitted to hospital.

From a BBC report.
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey
29-Jun-2020 18:41 Message #4785167
Yes and with many in that community being diabetic and thus more susceptible to infections which are then more severe than in other groups. The poorer communities in the East of Leicester will also be likely to be living in much smaller homes and more crowded and thus engender a greater spread of any airborne virus.
Female
29-Jun-2020 21:16 Message #4785174
Maglorian, I accept your apology, but still think you made a stupid comment, as the protests have stated black is black white is white, you name called a whole range of the population, which just adds fuel to the rasists, and as has been proven BAME people are affected more by covid and fosy rightly states Leicester has a high amount of BAME people, so maybe that is the reason why
Male
29-Jun-2020 22:57 Message #4785176
Leicester is now in full lockdown.

Except if Dominic Cummings is in Leicester, he can do whatever he wants.
Apparently he disguises himself now.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire
29-Jun-2020 23:01 Message #4785177
it does now appear that the media [amongst others] are looking at the bame community as a consideration for the spike in infections, and the governments reaction is somewhat stronger than expected as in shutting down non essential shops and closing schools again.

poor old mags, it just cant get over being roasted over the racist remark it made under one of its other guises, that of g2bw, and is desperate to try and pin the same tag on myself [as i called it out straight away], each time failing miserably.
its gut will now be twisting with rage and hate, trying to plan its next attack on me and this membership, when really he should get a box of tissues,and go get some relief.

"4 months I have been using this forum"
ever thought of going into stand-up? no?....not very quick at ducking?
well, you got me chuckling this time...

1 2 3 4 Next   Last  

Help with conversations