Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

What scientific theory or natural phenomena did you get completely wrong?

1 2 3 4 5 Next   Last  

Male
CircusMaximus  Male  North Yorkshire
27-Jun-2020 11:54 Message #4784912
Does heat rise or is it the cold grabbing the lower ground?
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside
27-Jun-2020 12:07 Message #4784915
I remember my mum driving me to school and on the radio it said we would be reverting to an ice age by 2020 someone got it wrong lol
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire
27-Jun-2020 13:22 Message #4784918
Was it Greta?
Its an old old game, the world is in crisis, usually only 50 years left.
They live as an expert whether true or not, 50 years is just enough, very few remember by then.

In Victorian times, they were worried about transport, just like today.
Not cars, but the number of horses. Predictions that the country would become totally covered in horse poo!

Well done Euro for remembering, yes we had global cooling crisis before warming.
And acid rain was going to destroy the world.

And of course the destruction of the rain forest.
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
27-Jun-2020 14:57 Message #4784921
I like watching the old clips about what life would be like in the future.....Clips from the 1950's and 60's for instance....I was watching a film the other week...from the 50's....but set in the 'future'.....the 1970's or 80's.........

Then there's what life would be like in the year 2000......Some things pretty close.....some way off the mark.....Some funny...
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
27-Jun-2020 16:42 Message #4784926
I think overall the comics such as Eagle were very accurate in predicting the future. Possibly better than scientists lol.
Female
Greencare  Female  Berkshire
27-Jun-2020 17:01 Message #4784929
Does heat rise or is it the cold grabbing the lower ground?

Possibly a bit of both? Does most of our body heat escape through our head with the heat rising and also give us cold feet?
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
27-Jun-2020 19:03 Message #4784941
Gravity effects hair, it pulls it down flat as close to the ground as possible, male hair drops through the head and starts bursting out of ears and noses. In an attempt at sympathy the eyebrows try and grow upwards to cover the bald spot, its attracted by sunlight which is why they changes direction to keep up with the sun, they seem to be fast growing perenials that start a growth spurt in autumn.
Male
Colonel_Blink  Male  Buckinghamshire
27-Jun-2020 22:52 Message #4784954
Most body heat leaving through the head has been shown to be a myth. I wonder if it was a rumour started by a hat manufacturer.
Male
Colonel_Blink  Male  Buckinghamshire
27-Jun-2020 22:53 Message #4784955
An interesting question. Does lightning travel from air to ground or ground to air? I'm sure most of us have seen it travel and know the answer.
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
28-Jun-2020 04:55 Message #4784966
I watched an old clip from the 50's that predicted online shopping.....

A camera in the shop would point at an item of clothes.....and the little old housewife would see this on her screen at home....and when the camera got to the item that she wanted.....she would hit a button.....and job done....

It then went to show that the item she selected would then show up of her husbands computer.....as he was the bill payer.....all the payment for things had to be done by him.....
Female
Greencare  Female  Berkshire
28-Jun-2020 10:03 Message #4784993
An interesting question. Does lightning travel from air to ground or ground to air? I'm sure most of us have seen it travel and know the answer.

Both? Doesn't the negative force of lightning travel from cloud to earth but when it returns in positive force from earth back to cloud that is the part we can see?

That may not be the scientific explanation.
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
28-Jun-2020 13:55 Message #4785024
Greencare. I suspect you are a scientist lol.

I recall a lake, possibly in South America, which can get 100 lightning strikes per day during the rainy season. That would be something to see.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire
28-Jun-2020 22:55 Message #4785085
Lightning is amazing in so many ways.
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon
29-Jun-2020 08:30 Message #4785110
Where are all the MSE scientists when you need them?

Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex
29-Jun-2020 11:23 Message #4785112
Before I saw this thread at all, I emailed the Theoretical Physics group that I belong to:-
"Since school I have always been puzzled by the Earth’s electric charge potential. About 1965 our physics teacher Tom Axon said that the planet Earth has a large amount of negative charge and that there was a large potential gradient near the Earth’s surface. But in that case, why aren’t electrons etc all pushed upwards, protons etc all pulled downwards, and why don’t we feel the electrical gradient in some electrical way? ...
So the electric potential at head height is over 200 Volts more than at our feet! Surely that must have horrendous consequences?"

My email also quoted some websites including "The Earth carries a negative electric charge of roughly 500 thousand Coulombs" and "the Potential Gradient (PG). At the surface, the PG is, conceptually, the voltage difference between a flat surface and a point one metre vertically above it. In fair weather conditions, the electric potential increases positively with height, and the PG at 1m above the surface is about 150V/m.

Fellow group member Paul emailed me including "I don't receive an electric shock because I'm mostly made of water and have a very high electrical conductivity compared to the air around me. Compared to the air I'm a short circuit and am therefore at ground potential all over." Then Paul emailed me "Of course, Feynman always explains things better. See https://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/II_09.html"

That lecture in Richard Feynman's Lectures on Physics was prepared about 60 years ago, many websites give more recent information that you can look up, and there's still lots about it that I don't understand. But in response to some questions above, I'll quote from that lecture. (Here, potential is electrical energy and equipotential is a region in which the potential is the same.)

"Ordinarily, the equipotentials are parallel to the surface [of planet Earth], ... but when you are there, the equipotentials are distorted ... So you still have very nearly zero potential difference between your head and your feet. There are charges that come from the earth to your head, changing the field. ...
Lightning storms carry negative charges to the earth. When a lightning bolt strikes, nine times out of ten it brings down negative charges to the earth in large amounts. It is the thunderstorms throughout the world that are charging the earth with an average of 1800 amperes, which is then being discharged through regions of fair weather. There are about 40,000 thunderstorms per day all over the earth, and we can think of them as batteries pumping the electricity to the upper layer and maintaining the voltage difference. ... there are about 100 lightning flashes per second world-wide with a peak in the activity at 7:00 p.m. Greenwich Mean Time. ... It is not going to be possible to describe exactly how a thunderstorm works, because we do not yet know very much."
Female
29-Jun-2020 12:41 Message #4785127
They're hiding NS, they're afraid of the the questions us non scientists might pose, the general weirdness and creativity of some of the answers we come up with. Its much better that they're not here as it wouldn't be nearly such fun because they'd be off firing incomprehensible broadsides at each other over obscure points that nobody else has ever heard of and it would go on for days. It would all get petty and nasty and would be another cause for squabbling.
Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex
29-Jun-2020 13:12 Message #4785133
Perhaps if WH unblocked me she might learn something instead of making stupid comments.
Male
29-Jun-2020 13:31 Message #4785135
Perhaps if J knows he is blocked he should not make stupid comments about someone who cannot see his posts.
Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex
29-Jun-2020 13:39 Message #4785138
My comment was not stupid. WH's first post was clearly intended to be humorous. But her second post was factually false.

In various threads WH has often made false statements about my posts which she cannot see, and other have supported her. But when I asked them to inform her what I actually wrote, or quote my compliments about WH's posts, or whether it is sensible to comment on posts that you cannot read, they didn't have the integrity to respond.

In numerous posts I have given much factual information (which she has blinded herself from reading) relating to WH's posts. Occasionally I have corrected what she wrote, and I always welcome any corrections to what I post.
Male
29-Jun-2020 13:47 Message #4785139
If you don't like her humour or her posts Jeff then you should act like a mature person and block her. It is very simple and prevents you having to ask others to pass information or make derogatory comments because you feel your opinion is the correct one.
We all make posts that others find boring, unfunny or believe are wrong but that's life.
Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex
29-Jun-2020 13:55 Message #4785140
I didn't write that I don't like WH's humour or that they are never funny, or that WH is always wrong.

I don't think that blocking someone is a mature thing to do. For example, years ago Admin blocked O... and me from seeing each other's posts following his repeated false insults against me, but many times I have asked Admin to unblock us (which hasn't been done yet).
Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex
29-Jun-2020 14:02 Message #4785142
Also I didn't mention that WH is boring.

In past threads I have written:-
"I too usually find wonderoushen very interesting and well expressed with good reasons."
and
"I agree politically with much that Wonderoushen writes, and often she is wise, but on various occasions she has made false statements about my posts."
and
"Possibly the one who makes the most posts on MSE is Wonderoushen, and her posts are usually thoughtful and I agree with most of them."

But will you have the integrity to copy/paste these comments into this thread so that WH can read them?
Male
29-Jun-2020 14:18 Message #4785143
My last word on the subject Jeff. I think you are the one lacking integrity by trying to send someone your opinions, which they do not want to see, by rather dubious methods. You must face the fact that some people are not interested in your posts. That is not usual online.
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset
29-Jun-2020 14:26 Message #4785145
For decades, I've always held the understanding that the huge searching strands of charge within any potential thunder cloud always reaches out or down in search of some means of earthing and that a huge electrical bolt of lightning usually discharges after being seduced by similar strands of electricity reaching up seeking some mutual liason. These charged fingers are called stepped leaders and in seeking to resolve any difference of potential, a spark will always attempt and find a way to discharge. Either up or down ... or even between thunder storms.

I haven't looked yet but I am sure if anyone searches the net for any high definition images of a lightning strike, they would encounter photographs showing this electrical "handshake" quite clearly.

Misunderstanding the obvious.

An Earth Up.

I like to go down to the bay sometimes to watch a sunset except it isn't the sun setting at all. Rather. It is merely the earth speeding through space while spinning back towards us (from our own perspective), which, by default, starts to inhibit our own view of the sun until, the more the earth rolls back, the more the sun seems to set.

If you opened a brolly and pointed it horizontally in front of you and started to lift the brolly, you would start to cut off the bottom of the sun from your own perspective though you would be well aware of the action you were completing whereas watching the sun "go down" seems to show it moving lower but, of course, it isn't moving lower despite romantic or emotive expressions claiming "the sun was low in the sky" etc.

It requires quite a degree of personal concentration to ignore the percieved image of the sun setting but if you do, (and replace the idea or concept of the earth rolling up and towards you, you can actually shift your experience of the event and FEEL yourself as if you were standing on some moving object rolling back - which you are!

Try it the next time you view a sunset. :-)
-
I think the idea of the lightning bolt 'always coming down' is a similar experience to an Earth Up but just because your eyes interpret it that way doesn't, neccassarily make it correct or explain the science.
Female
30-Jun-2020 10:35 Message #4785209
Where does the water go at low tide, does the sea get deeper in the middle?

1 2 3 4 5 Next   Last  

Help with conversations