Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Am I lying?

Male
CircusMaximus  Male  North Yorkshire
27-Jun-2020 11:52 Message #4784911
Can you tell if people are lying? What are the signs?
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire
27-Jun-2020 13:25 Message #4784919
When they say They love you long time.

They never mean it!
Male
Colonel_Blink  Male  Buckinghamshire
27-Jun-2020 17:52 Message #4784933
It's in the eyes!
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
27-Jun-2020 18:52 Message #4784939
Its an overall impression to me, I guess a mix of things like body language, eye contact, either making to much direct eye contact or not enough. I think its hardest to tell you're being lied to when the liar really believes themselves what they're saying, some people are con people, others are just hopeless and agree with and to anything to get the situation back to normal, whilst others volunteer for anything going knowing full well they're already overstretched. I guess it depends on the lie and the circumstances that bring the lie about.

What really bugs me is being accused of lying when I'm not, either because one of us is genuinely mistaken, or because the other person has an idea and won't let go of it.
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
27-Jun-2020 22:49 Message #4784953
In matters of the heart I think the kiss can say more than anything else. Otherwise several things such as eye contact or frequently saying pardon so the questioner has to repeat themselves and give thinking time.
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire
27-Jun-2020 23:11 Message #4784956
If you wanna know if he loves you so, it’s in his kiss or so the song goes.
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
28-Jun-2020 04:48 Message #4784965
Cherly not.....
Male
Colonel_Blink  Male  Buckinghamshire
28-Jun-2020 09:50 Message #4784987
Uh?
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire
28-Jun-2020 09:56 Message #4784990
Oh, you can lie with a kiss too.

I would say that people who lie do it habitually, so it's not going to come as much of a surprise when they do. :)
Female
28-Jun-2020 10:32 Message #4784998
I'm phobic of kissing, its nothing but tooth bashing saliva exchange and I have hearing problms when in crowded noisy places so I'm constantly sayiing pardon, often serveral times and I feel very nervous when meeting others in public places so I'm probably not looking at them but assessing any incoming risk. So if we met png, it wouldn't be you, it really would be me and niether of us would be lying.
Male
AndyMacG  Male  the West Midlands
28-Jun-2020 12:06 Message #4785011
Yes, everybody lies at some point or another during their existence and the most common lie of all is the reply to someone asking if you are OK,
Theres no sign its just a common phenomenon.

Andy Mac
Male
28-Jun-2020 12:49 Message #4785015
Things like job interviews are full of lies from both sides.....

Interviewer : 'Why do you want to work for us?'..........

Interviewee : 'Well, I've heard that you are a people company.....you really care....'

Interviewer : 'Very good answer......We are a people company.....and we really care.......The job's yours....'
Male
28-Jun-2020 13:54 Message #4785023
Following other posts it would appear my foolproof methods do not always work so forget the kissing. Back to the drawing board lol.

Actually I can sympathise with those who tell the truth but are not believed as it happens to me .. I think it's because I like my privacy so I can appear to have a secretive nature.
Female
28-Jun-2020 18:20 Message #4785055
Andy, thats why fine is an acronym, when some oen says they're fine what they really mean is;

F-fucked up
I-insecure
N-Neurotic
E-egotistical

png, I'm quite private about certain things and lots of people think its me being secretive, it neer occus to them that if I was being totally honest, I might ask what fecking business it is of theirs to be asking the ins and outs of everything in my life, some people are just nosy and think they have a right to know, I think I have a right to tell them to shove thier questions where the sun don't shine.

Male
28-Jun-2020 18:31 Message #4785056
wonderoushen. We have a lot of things in common .. it's quite scary lol.
Male
AndyMacG  Male  the West Midlands
28-Jun-2020 19:01 Message #4785062
Ha ha ha Wonderoushen, i have never seen that before "EXCELLENT" love it, i'll have to use that in future! :) lol

Andy Mac
Male
28-Jun-2020 19:11 Message #4785065
Lying can take a lot of different forms.....

A lot of things start out when we are kids.....all sorts of things.....kick a football into some flowers or something.....it wasn't me....smash a window.....it wasn't me......break something else....it wasn't me....

Some people lie to make themselves feel superior.....

Most people who do something wrong.....they lie to cover it up......

Online...there's loads of videos of lying.......many of them totally ridiculous.....You even get someone being questioned by the police.......who have DNA evidence and other evidence.....and the person begins lying.....saying they weren't there....never been there...etc etc.....then eventually they realise they are bang to rights.....Been found out.....they begin to come clean......but even in coming clean.....they carry on lying.....They don't know what they said.....their mind is one continuous lie....

There was one video...The woman arranged for a hitman to kill her husband.....For the life insurance and house etc.....They were already on to her.....so secretly filmed an undercover hitman and her discussing it....The 'hit' time arrived.....She was told her husband had been murdered......even though it hadn't......then fake acting 'tears'.....then arrest....then lies lies lies.....even when shown the video of her setting it up....she carried on denying it....

Another unbelievable part of it was.....the phone call that she is allowed.....she rang.......her husband....and asked him to bail her out.....He, being aware of what was going on, said a few choice words to her...and that he'd seen the video etc....and she still said she wasn't involved.....How she would never do anything like that......and there she is....on video...arranging it all....

She's currently serving a lot of years...

On a smaller note.....something like on here......most of us only have one id.....but anyone who has more.....always lies that they haven't......always......It's something that seems to be built in to anybody doing something 'against the rules'......They lie and lie and lie....
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon
29-Jun-2020 08:11 Message #4785105
Everyone lies. The difference is in the reason for lying. Sometimes for personal reasons which don't affect others. Sometimes to be kind. Sometimes to be nasty. Sometimes for personal gain or profit. Fibs or lies?
Female
Molly  Female  Essex
29-Jun-2020 11:34 Message #4785115
When I have told lies my face lights up like a beacon and sign appears on my forehead saying LIAR. A good incentive to tell the truth.
Female
29-Jun-2020 12:48 Message #4785129
You're right png its scary, we should be afraid, very afraid!

Andy I'm surprised you'd never heard that before, its been doing the rounds for years.

Manthing said I told a good lie, when I'd told him that they had none of the slippers I'd bought for my son left, he was really happy on xmas day when he opened the ones I'd hidden and lied about. It was still a lie, some would call it a fib, because it was harmless and in a relatively good cause, but I'd still deliberately been untruthful. So if thats a low level lie/concealing of the truth, what are the higher grades, obviously we know the big big ones, but is how individuals interpret them different and effect the level of damage?
Male
FirmButFair-TrollPatrol  Male  North Yorkshire
30-Jun-2020 12:06 Message #4785228
It's conscience which makes all the difference. If you tell a good or harmless lie you don't feel any guilt. If you connive to tell a serious lie the guilt kicks in and can make the lie obvious.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire
1-Jul-2020 07:35 Message #4785290
It is guilt. That is why those who totally believe their own lies can be difficult to detect.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire
5-Jul-2020 09:04 Message #4785776
Thumbscrews!

Help with conversations