Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

If mankind ceased to exist?

1 2 Next   Last  

Male
CircusMaximus  Male  North Yorkshire
27-Jun-2020 11:50 Message #4784910
If mankind ceased to exist, gone, finished, over at this very moment in time.

How long would it take nature to reclaim the planet?

In 50 years which species of animal would have died off and which species would be dominant?

The UK as an island would fare differently to many countries.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire
27-Jun-2020 12:03 Message #4784913
it would only take nature around 2-3yrs to start to reclaim our towns and cities, there was a program showing how fast this could happen.
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside
27-Jun-2020 12:05 Message #4784914
Seeing how my garden grows a year lol the rats, birds, squirrels foxes and bugs too
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey
27-Jun-2020 12:44 Message #4784916
Yes within 100 yrs or less plants/trees and the weather would tear down many buildings
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire
27-Jun-2020 13:13 Message #4784917
The wolf would do well, so would rats, though sewer rats would have to find another food source.
If you look at old derelict buildings, nature takes over very quickly.
Not much left after say 100 years.
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
27-Jun-2020 16:41 Message #4784925
The area around Chenobyl is a good example of how things might develop. There are only a few humans living close by now and the number of most wild animals have increased especially the bear and the wolf. Birds are thriving.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
27-Jun-2020 19:08 Message #4784942
Would house flies die out as there'd be no more houses, especially fo that annoying one that hangs around until xmas?

I guess we'd have to assume that domesticates would be released from their fields, pens and cages and that cat and dogs could get out of their houses, in which case I think cats and dogs would do pretty well, they'd have lot of creatures to hunt and scavenge.

Fish and sea creatures in general would probably do quite well as we'd n longer be around catching them or deafening them with our sonar and engines.
Female
Greencare  Female  Berkshire
27-Jun-2020 22:41 Message #4784952
In the U.K. Cats would definitely scavenge. Maybe dogs too. Animals already self sufficient such as foxes and badgers but would horses, cows, pigs and sheep be breeding or dying?
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire
27-Jun-2020 23:13 Message #4784957
"and that cat and dogs could get out of their houses"

the program that i watched said that most pets would die as soon as food and water ran out, as they wouldnt be able to get out of their homes.
Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region
28-Jun-2020 08:04 Message #4784970
One thing, slightly on topic, that I've noticed recently....

Obviously the Bat flu has has/had a big impact on how the country runs. I've been working longer hours, more shifts ect as stuff has to get to places.

Through the night the roads are pretty much dead. Even more so than normal as a lot of the non essential hauliers are/were parked up, so it really has only been supermarket trucks/suppliers, fuel tankers, royal mail trucks ect on the roads. Me and a few mates were discussing the huge increase in the amount of road kill we are seeing. Every where we went, deer, foxes, badgers, pheasants, rabbits, hedgehogs, even cats.... I even ran right over the top of a poor wee otter!

We pondered why this was.... I guessed it was because the roads were all of a sudden dead, the animals decided they would take over the highways! They must have thought with no cars about we can use the roads. As I'd have thought with less cars, and normal activity from wild life they would be no deaths, but it appears that with very little traffic, we have seen a huge increase in road kill.... thats on the animals I think. They must be increasing their road usage! Any other explanation?

So.... I think if humans completely disappeared the animals would be running about city/town centres with in a day or two.

Been a professional driver for 14 years, in all those years I've never hit as many animals as I have hit since April!!! :(
Male
Colonel_Blink  Male  Buckinghamshire
28-Jun-2020 09:31 Message #4784984
It gives an indication of the number of animals living around our countryside but we rarely see. I've also noticed the number of badgers killed on the roads since things have been so quiet. These are all the animals already surviving in the wild and the demise of mankind would make little difference to them other than giving them more space to run around.

In many parts of the world there are large group of feral cats but not so much dogs and I wonder if dogs would survive in the uk without man t help them.
Female
28-Jun-2020 10:35 Message #4785000
Yes they would, theres plenty of places in the world where there are feral dogs, packs of them who were pets who've been abandoned, an individual dog wouldn't do as well, because they're pack animals, but I think their instincts would take over and they'd learn pretty quickly to take down large prey such as a sheep or a cow.
Female
Sea  Female  Essex
28-Jun-2020 11:48 Message #4785007
Yes, definitely plenty of places in the world where feral dogs. Lots in Goa and many in Indonesia. I usually look for a stick to carry if likely to be near any just in case. In Goa a few years back one came up behind me and took a bite out of the sarong I was wearing at the time. I also saw a man chasing one holding a huge plank of wood, which I thought was crual, as did mange to hit it a couple of times. But then I heard that it had attacked his young daughter and he had ended up with huge medical bills, to stitch her up etc. so was definitely understandable.
As to how things would be without humans; I have an idea that the spiders would definitely have a field day, inside and outside my house, as forever clearing away cobwebs.
Male
AndyMacG  Male  the West Midlands
28-Jun-2020 12:09 Message #4785012
It would be great for the planet but it wouldn’t be very favourable for mankind!

Andy Mac

Male
Colonel_Blink  Male  Buckinghamshire
28-Jun-2020 15:19 Message #4785030
I know of feral dogs in packs overseas but I was specifically thinking of here in the uk. Of those which initially survive would there be enough breeding to maintain their existence over 50 years or 100 years. Being an island we wouldn't have animals wandering into the country from elsewhere.
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
28-Jun-2020 17:09 Message #4785046
Rats are survivors and can live in atrocious conditions eating plants or meat. I could see them growing very large and more carnivorous attacking other smaller animals or even ganging up on a larger animal. Dogs could attack cattle and sheep for food killing off both species.
Male
28-Jun-2020 17:27 Message #4785048
Being an island we wouldn't have animals wandering into the country from elsewhere.

Colonel-Blink, Your forgetting there is a land link under the English channel but even then with mankind gone theres plenty of room on this island for Animals and nature has a great way of keeping the balance.

Andy Mac
Female
28-Jun-2020 17:48 Message #4785049
If humans ceased to exist then I preume it would be everywhere and not just here, or people would just come here and recolonise. I'm pretty sure animals would soon find a way of using the channel tunnel for thier own uses. I think there would be viable breeding populations of all the animals we have, both native, previous pets and farm animals and those from zoo's. Being an island we could end up with some pretty new breeds, all the cat family can interbreed and so I think can dogs, so its possible you'd end up with cross bred lions, tigers and lynx, plus all the domestic moggies. Have you ever seen th size of ligons, a cross between lions and tigers? They're huge twice the size of the parents, although I think they maybe sterile, I wouldn't put it past nature to overcome that hurdle if left to its own devices.
Male
28-Jun-2020 19:10 Message #4785064
There is one thing that could cause a problem to start with and that is most of the farm animals are fenced in which would make them prime targets for carnivorous killers almost like a choose your own restaurant, so unless they learn to open the gates or break the fences down i think some animals might become extinct .
Just my thoughts you understand!

Andy Mac
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex
28-Jun-2020 22:02 Message #4785076
Some cities have reported seeing normally wild animals on their streets. Gangs of turkeys I remember reading somewhere, and a Wallaby in one of Australia's cities.

I think 6 months and we wouldn't recognise some cities.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire
28-Jun-2020 23:02 Message #4785088
As Andy says in the uk many pets and farm animals would starve or quickly be killed by a new more ferocious predator. I can't see many animals finding the entrance to the channel tunnel and walking across, presuming the tunnel itself was usable.
Female
28-Jun-2020 23:08 Message #4785090
I don't think the UK has many animal eating predators? Badgers are the largest carnivores. Fox. Dogs might turn wolf. Europe has wolves, bears, even lynx and is joined to asia. The tunnel is bound to be found.
Female
28-Jun-2020 23:11 Message #4785092
Forgot the zoos. Being actually wild I'm sure they'd find their way out eventually.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire
28-Jun-2020 23:34 Message #4785093
Our animals don't have many predators which is why I referred to the new breed of wilder animal which as you say could be the dog or fox. I'm sure some animals from Europe would find the tunnel but they might build lairs near the entrances. I don't think there would be enough of them travelling across to make significant changes in the uk.
Domesticated animals would have to become feral, farm animals and zoo animals might escape captivity or might starve before escaping.
The various animals would have to breed for the species to survive.
Male
29-Jun-2020 00:03 Message #4785096
The various animals would have to breed for the species to survive.

Yes but to breed they would have to survive and to survive they would have to eat so as they eventually eat themselves into extinction unless they were vegetarian of course, lol and even then it would be a struggle until they broke free of their cages.

Andy Mac

1 2 Next   Last  

Help with conversations