Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

An act of kindness.

Male
CircusMaximus  Male  North Yorkshire
25-Jun-2020 08:14 Message #4784705
Have you received an act of kindness which has stayed with you and remembered warmly.
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside
25-Jun-2020 08:44 Message #4784709
Ah was only talking of this the other day, part of my job has been to inform people about people's death,in work last one was almost a year ago. And after a morning of informing people by phone, and consoling them etc I got a call from someone in work I didn't really know, they had hunted my number and actually just rang to ask me how I was, at which point I burst into tears and just cried down the phone, the first time someone has actually asked me how I felt, so so kind of them, I will never forget that, I still don't really know them,lol
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
25-Jun-2020 10:24 Message #4784724
Eurostar. It does hit home when someone cares about the carer.

I had never experienced so many acts of kindness until I became a carer pushing a wheelchair. Then it was almost everywhere I went people were friendlier and kinder. Stations, airports, shops or open spaces people are always offering help on the stairs, up the steep slope, seating on the train. People from all walks of life in suits, overalls, uniforms.

It was like entering another world.
Female
BunnyGirl  Female  Buckinghamshire
25-Jun-2020 11:12 Message #4784734
Due to the lockdown i have received i big basket of plants and a lovely bunch of flowers plus a cup cake due to the fact that my roof tiles had moved from heavy winds a couple months ago and now gone again so now have big brown water marks in three rooms plus loft flooring is a right off. Changed the claims to another person but waiting for them to get back.
Female
BunnyGirl  Female  Buckinghamshire
25-Jun-2020 12:12 Message #4784739
Due to the lockdown i have received i big basket of plants and a lovely bunch of flowers plus a cup cake due to the fact that my roof tiles had moved from heavy winds a couple months ago and now gone again so now have big brown water marks in three rooms plus loft flooring is a right off. Changed the claims to another person but waiting for them to get back.
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire
25-Jun-2020 13:10 Message #4784740
You reap what you so and we've supported each other through some very tough times as dementia carers on Dementia Angel UK Facebook group when the system is letting us down.
Female
jeangenie  Female  County Antrim
25-Jun-2020 14:15 Message #4784748
An act of kindness I will never forget is from when we were.scattering my mum's ashes. I was kneeling beside the river where she requested her ashes to be scattered. I had my eyes closed as I didn't know if I could face seeing her ashes. When the time came to release the ashes the little handle/lever was stiff and I was struggling to release it. Just then I felt a hand over mine and without opening my eyes I knew who it was....my son Matthew. He could sense I was struggling. Even now, ten years later the thought of it makes me well up. Even more poignant today.....my mum's sister being buried tomorrow.
Female
Blue-Poppy  Female  East Yorkshire
25-Jun-2020 15:38 Message #4784765
Many years ago one really cold winter and Xmas Eve I discovered my boiler wouldn't light, no heat, no water and it needed a very small part. Rang the plumbers merchants and they could provide but closing at 2pm and my partner had my car. It was the boss I spoke to and he arranged to leave the part at his local newsagents which didn't close til 5 so I streaked up there when my car came back and there it was. In January I went to the merchants to pay for it and the very kind man wouldn't let me pay anything, said it was a Xmas present. Kind gesture which I will always remember.

Lots of acts of kindness in my neighbourhood during this lock-down, people lending and giving things to each other and generally helping. We had a bric a brac weekend where neighbours put out unwanted goods and others helped themselves. Lots of plants and seedlings being put out by gates with 'help yourself' on them. These 14 weeks certainly seem to be bringing out the best in a lot of people and I've talked to folk I've not spoken to before.
Female
Topaz53  Female  Northamptonshire
25-Jun-2020 18:29 Message #4784769
Received a bouquet from the manager of a charity I volunteer for because 3 of us have been doing support calls, making meals and supporting vulnerable adults isolated in their homes.

Very thoughtful of her and much appreciated
Female
Greencare  Female  Berkshire
27-Jun-2020 16:57 Message #4784928
Most people I know or meet seem to have a friendly nature and are generally kind. When I left my purse in the supermarket at the checkout the girl who had served me at the till drove to my house on her way home to tell me it had been found which was a relief.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire
29-Jun-2020 23:20 Message #4785180
Many; seems this last twenty years I've only ever come upon such acts and have met many people who are very kind. Prior to that I suppose the most memorable one was the family pulled me off of my car after going through the windscreen and never complained about me ruining their kitchen and towels with the blood I was splattering about all over the place until the ambulance arrived.

Help with conversations