Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Brexit

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next   Last  

Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia
23-Jun-2020 21:03 Message #4784592
I just thought I would give us something different to chat (argue) about.
It is exactly 4 years ago today that we voted to leave the EU.
Discuss..... lol
Male
AndyMacG  Male  the West Midlands
23-Jun-2020 21:35 Message #4784594
Well, Hierophant if its any consolation i wont mention the Virus but this time 4 years ago i wasn’t concerned with lockdown or self isolating or not being able to see and have social contact with my children and grandchildren, i could go to the pub or a restaurant for a social drink or meal, i could shake hands or hug with my friends sit next to a stranger on the bus or train but 4 years ago today i went to the polling station and cast my vote and then i really can’t remember exactly what i did, ;-) ha ha

P.S. Hope the thread goes ok ;-) lol

Andy Mac
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex
23-Jun-2020 22:00 Message #4784595
We have left, lawfully, or in law which ever.. But are still in the "transition period", which ends December. Which means we are still subject to their laws, while a deal is reached. We are also still in their Customs Union, and single market, which is possibly an advantage, not sue about that.

Boris is adamant we will sever all ties, deal or no deal in December. As in independent of the Club. We would like our fishing waters back, the EU will have to whistle for that. As we would like our entire fishing industry back. They want a lot from us, they use a lot of pressure, I'm glad we have Doominic Cummins.
Male
Neros1954  Male  Devon
24-Jun-2020 06:46 Message #4784607
Whether for or against Brexit, the issue was an important one at the time. Since then it's importance has been kicked a long way down the scale as we tackle something which has been a matter of life or death to many.
Boris wants to completely come away from many of the regulations which we shared with eu countries but we will hardly be severing all ties as we are still in Europe and will still be conducting business with eu countries and even where we are "going it alone" it will still be necessary to deal with eu countries as we have always done with non-eu countries.
Many laws and regulations, on health, borders, crime, etc. will still be shared and quite necessarily so for our own sakes.

Will the fishing rights be something which benefits us? I do very much hope so as it might be the one thing we can hold up as an example of a benefit of Brexit. I think the health scare may have made many thing there is an element of "we are all in this together throughout Europe".
Male
Pboro Trevor  Male  Cambridgeshire
24-Jun-2020 09:24 Message #4784617
Boring!!

Move on.

Trevor
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire
24-Jun-2020 10:33 Message #4784626
It'll be interesting, will we be blaming the many years of austerity to come on this coronavirus or on brexit? will we be saying the profits the financial sector will be making is because of brexit or coronavirus? how long before this 'we're all in it together' will be forgotten?
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire
24-Jun-2020 10:38 Message #4784628
I'd forgotten the days of Brexit.....and the Extinction thing....little Greta....and all that....
Female
24-Jun-2020 10:52 Message #4784632
Sever all ties with the "EU". EU is not the same as Europe. As in no longer subject to act in accordance with their laws with its political body of regulations and directives, jurisdiction of the ECJ membership fee and the rulings of Brussels. That is the goal. We remain a sovereign country and not a state of Brussels. As voted for. Obviously Europe still exists, so bilateral relations continue.

I think the decimated fishing industry has been waiting a long time for this.

I actually didn't see any "all in this together" with the virus, funding for Italy from the EU was absent when most needed, much of their aid came from Russia, China and even Cuba.
Male
Neros1954  Male  Devon
24-Jun-2020 12:22 Message #4784636
Apart from "making our own laws" and "keeping out foreigners" it is the fishing industry which is usually quoted as the plus point of Brexit.

Has it been decimated? between 2004 and 2014 it grew substantially. In 2004 our catch was 652,000 tonnes which was the fourth biggest catch of any EU country. In 2014 this had grown to 752,000 tonnes which was the second largest catch of any EU country.
It might also be worrying that over 70% of UK seafood export go to the EU. In recent years these sales to the EU have exceeded £1.34 billion.
Female
24-Jun-2020 13:21 Message #4784637
2004 is a long time ago as is 2014. You sound like a remainer. Globalization (keeping out foreigners) is also another political ploy that has not worked. Cheap labour may suit the EU but it needs to be passed by actual people who live in the country. And it doesn't look like it passed.

Grimsby is a good example of a decimated fishing port. I'm sure there are plenty of others. The EU controls the fishing quotas, and policy of our waters, and fishing fleets and individuals have been hard hit.

Trade aside, I would say the major reason for leaving is their growing political ambition, admitted by them to create a federation of Europe, to join the superpower race of countries. For what, first global power? No thanks.
Male
Neros1954  Male  Devon
24-Jun-2020 14:22 Message #4784638
I'm a realist so I look at the pros and cons of everything we do. Many may still remember Grimsby in it's heyday in the 1950s but much has changed since then. The methods of catching in small trawlers changed to catching in bulk, freezing and often having sold the catch before the ship even docks.
It will be interesting to see how much fishing ports such as Grimsby invest in purchasing new trawlers and training skippers.

For those interested in politics there may be political reasons for leaving the EU but for the masses by far the number one reason was "keeping out foreigners",and then "British jobs for British people" and "Making our own laws, usually so we can keep foreigners out or send them home".
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London
24-Jun-2020 14:48 Message #4784641
I hope we will see some tangible advantages of Brexit but I'm not holding my breath.
Female
24-Jun-2020 19:42 Message #4784667
Is this site conservative in outlook? The penny has dropped. Though the country voted to leave. Well, I wouldn't have thought it.

Controlled immigration is desirable. We do not have the infrastructure to allow unlimited numbers of people in at will. Our schools, hospitals, waiting lists, roads, everything is not limitless to whoever fancies crossing the border, where an d when, and it would be wise not to allow resentment to build up in the country, and create a situation that might lead to any kind of civil unrest.

Anyway there are signs that the EU project is floundering, and when we leave they will have a major competitor on their doorstep. Despite all the scaremongering to the contrary.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire
24-Jun-2020 20:37 Message #4784668
The sooner the deal is done the better, we are still paying out £milions to the EU annually. That money is now very much needed to help pay some of the debts caused by CV-19

Male
Colonel_Blink  Male  Buckinghamshire
24-Jun-2020 20:40 Message #4784669
I haven't seen much scaremongering since Brexit was voted for. Before the vote both sides were scaremongering like it was about to go out of fashion.

Whether you voted for or against there should never be any let up in he questioning and answers should be expected. It is not good enough to gloss over the facts with little or no detail.

How will our fishing quotas change?

Where will we sell our fish if the eu don't want them?

Which eu laws do we object to?

How will we change those laws?

Is it eu immigrants we want kept out?

Is it illegal immigrants we want kept out?

Many questions awaiting answers.
Female
24-Jun-2020 21:02 Message #4784673
I suggest you expand you reading list 'Col'. If you want answers get involved, go and find them. They're certainly out there.

I would suggest the Economist, that's a nice safe tory type edit. But to give it some contrast the Spectator or New Statesman. The Telegraph instead of the house paper of the Guardian on here.

Get the answers, make you own judgement, instead of relying on others to do the work for you.
Male
Colonel_Blink  Male  Buckinghamshire
24-Jun-2020 21:49 Message #4784677
You are mistaken in the meaning behind my post Gilpin. I was not asking the questions but giving examples of the type of questions people should be asking.

I already have most of the answers I need and certainly wouldn't be using your Economist as a source. I do quite like the Spectator though. I tend to avoid the Tory rubbish.

Although I would never seek answers on here we all have to rely on the work of others wherever our sources of information are.

Do you object to questions being asked about Brexit? Do you think everyone should roll over and accept whatever they are told?

You should be more inquisitive Gilpin. Seek and you shall find.
Female
24-Jun-2020 22:48 Message #4784682
You have no idea what I have found CB. Or how inquisitive I can be.

Brexit is done, questions on Brexit are a little late in the day. Conditions and prerequisites of any deals the EU are willing to make are the questions now. I have every confidence in Boris and Cummins on this. Those that put Boris into No. 10, did it on his pledge to get us out of the Union. And he is not a remainer in sheeps clothing.

It's not 'my' Economist, I find them rather conservative, but very readable, well written. I prefer the Spectator and its more critical reviews. And interesting style.

Don't mind any questions being asked, as long as they are intelligent questions!
Male
24-Jun-2020 22:53 Message #4784684
I thought the questions suggested by the Colonel were intelligent ones. I do see his point that nobody appears to answer many of the questions asked.
Female
24-Jun-2020 22:59 Message #4784685
EU will have a gaping crater of a hole when we leave Vicki. I think we pay something like 20b. And for info, their accounts have not been signed off in years. When asked of Junker why this was, his hands went up and he replied 'there is too much corruption'.
Female
24-Jun-2020 23:05 Message #4784686
png The answers to the questions can be found easily enough if one took the trouble. They are however time consuming. Why not look up the answers yourself, instead of expecting others to do it for you? Why don't you look them up? It's research. I'm sure you could track the answers down. Lets see how long it takes you. Then we can all have the answers.
Male
24-Jun-2020 23:13 Message #4784687
LOL Gilpin. I would have to refer you to the Colonel's earlier reply as I was not asking any questions but pointing out that the Colonel's questions were intelligent ones. If you feel strongly that you want the answers perhaps your own research is called for and discover the answers.
Male
Neros1954  Male  Devon
24-Jun-2020 23:18 Message #4784688
If Brexiteers genuinely believed what they say then they would be falling over themselves to answer questions or even making statements to show the advantages of Brexit but they never do. They are crossing their fingers it will not be a disaster but if it is they will probably blame Covid.
Female
24-Jun-2020 23:27 Message #4784689
Brexit is not my life Neros. The country voted to leave, and remainers should have the decency to respect a democratic vote. Instead of continually whinging about it. Why don't you list the advantages of remaining, if you think so much of them. It's not for Brexiteers to justify a vote.
Female
24-Jun-2020 23:33 Message #4784690
png CB if you read his post did say they were 'general' questions. From which I would assume, not directly addressed to me. And I don't recall saying his questions were not intelligent, that seems to be your suggestion.

How do you manage to twist meanings. Did I say I wanted the answers? You did. You said that people don't seem to answer questions on here. How do you manage to confuse very simple statements.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next   Last  

Help with conversations