Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

The deer got there first

Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire
22-Jun-2020 14:08 Message #4784433
Yesterday I went to the new place to pick gooseberries (loads of 'em there Saturday) but when I got there, they'd all gone. The bushes had been very heavy with fruit, so I was planning to make jam, crumbles,pies, ice cream, tarts, fool - everything, in fact. The ground around them was covered in deer poo poo. I did a bit of cursing..... a big bit !

Now, how am I going to keep them away when we eventually move in ? Is there a deer deterrent plant?
Male
AndyMacG  Male  the West Midlands
22-Jun-2020 14:26 Message #4784435
I think you will need to use a fence Victoriana or get there before they do in future ;-) lol

Andy Mac
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
22-Jun-2020 18:59 Message #4784467
You could try lion poo, I think they sell it as zoo poo and I think its supposed to deter deer, but a fence might be better, it would have to be at least 6' high though or they'll jump over it.
Male
vanman  Male  Cambridgeshire
22-Jun-2020 21:10 Message #4784475
A 12 bore would sort them out!
Plus...
Venison for dinner ;-)
Male
Seasons-Greetings  Male  Essex
22-Jun-2020 22:33 Message #4784490
It was the flipping pesky wood pigeons that got at my goosgogs early on.
You can tell it's them that have been there as they snap all the top foliage while they're sitting there scoffing.
Female
23-Jun-2020 08:47 Message #4784522
Sadly, we dont have a zoo near here, but years ago the circus came to our village and I scrounged some elephant poo for my runner beans..... the beans were terrible , but the old bamboo canes all rooted.....

I think fencing will have to be another job to put on the list
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd
23-Jun-2020 11:47 Message #4784535
You can buy zoo poo pelleted like chicken poo, you don't have to get it fresh from the zoo.
Female
Sea  Female  Essex
23-Jun-2020 23:06 Message #4784601
Hi Vic, I have the same problem with a front garden patch to one side of my driveway. I did also have a probelm with a cat using it as its toilet but then I read that they did not like lemon balm or lavender. As lots of lemon balm in my back garden I moved some and also sprinkled dried lavender everywhere. But I now have the muntjack deer messing and they have been eating the lemon balm and other things. I have, as a temporary measure tied a piece of string across, with a couple of bells attached. Not sure it will do much good, as the bells are a little too silent for my liking. I need a scaredeer, rather than a scarecrow.
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire
26-Jun-2020 18:12 Message #4784855
Pop s bit of netting over them? Or plant a "rabbit garden"(or in your case a Deer garden) of something you wouldn't miss but they would prefer to spiky gooseberry plants up their noses.
Female
26-Jun-2020 20:26 Message #4784874
Went there again today, and there was a female with her baby, both at my gooseberries. I didnt have the heart to shoo them away. We got the PP today ( at last - only took 6 months ! ) Wasnt quite as we wanted, but at least its a start, so a busy time ahead. Some months ago, I took cuttings from the goosberries and all have taken, as well as the red and blackurrants
Male
vanman  Male  Cambridgeshire
26-Jun-2020 20:32 Message #4784875
Oh dear! ;-)

Help with conversations